Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
It is really personal choice between dolly or 4down towing. We chose 4down because it seems simpler. You don't have the dolly to deal with when at the campground and I see others climbing under the car to put straps on the tires. But you can pretty much change cars whenever you want. With 4down once you put the rack on front you are committed to the car for a time. I can at least put the baseplates on myself so I don't have that $2,000 investment each time, it costs me about $600 a time to do it.
We went with a dolly for the reason you mention: For any given trip we can take either of our cars. In addition when we change out cars we don't have the big baseplate expense--as long as the new car is also FWD and dolly towable we're good.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Lincoln as Toad

Dear RVer,

I think you were wise to do it yourself. Like others I agree you are a brave guy to take a 5 day old car apart to tow capability. However you are also wise to do it yourself rather than having an RV dealer do it. At least the RV dealers that the members of this list regularly complain about. I was a Ford Fanatic for a while in the early 1970s, went back to them for a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid which was a disaster in so many ways. They switched me to GM and I have been happy there, so happy in fact my 2014 Thor is powered by a GM V8 workhorse platform. Nice toad, I would have driven it a few miles before doing the mod, but if you trust Lincoln then why not convert it right away.

Your work looks neat and tidy and professional, much better than when I would get my Escape back from my local Ford dealer!!!

Rocky in Alberta, Canada
Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
All of our vehicles are generally Ford products. Early on my wife's family was Chevy, mine Chrysler, so we compromised and went to Fords. Every now and again we deviate like the Fiat. We also have a second toad, a 2015 Focus. But if we are traveling where we will have to have others in the car then we will take the Lincoln. The Fiat worked well for that because of the high roof but the rest of the car was not much.