Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: Do you pull a MC
Yes: Harley 3 30.00%
Yes: CanAm Spyder 1 10.00%
Yes: Other 4 40.00%
Nope: Mama won't let me 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
Anybody out there with a CanAm Spyder?

Curious if any other THOR types have or tow a CanAm Spyder. We have one and towed it with our previous MH but have yet to pull it behind our new 2017 Vegas.

fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #2

THOR #6782
We're planning a trip to Las Vegas from WA state in August for a Navy Ship Reunion. (USS Samuel Gompers) Not in the Vegas although it would be a lovely trip but this time we're going on three wheels. Yea yea I know the time of year is going to possibly be brutal temp-wise but we're taking our time and it should be an adventure.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
....cut.... We have one and towed it with our previous MH but have yet to pull it behind our new 2017 Vegas.
I'm curious, how did you tow it? Never seen one behind a motorhome.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #4

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
My wife has a Can am Spyder and I have a Victory Cross Country. We tow both on an Ultimate air suspension trailer. We are leaving May 3rd to tour rate 66. We'll be on the road for a little more than a month.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #5

THOR #6782
We've used a flatbed open trailer. CanAm didn't do us any favors 'cause the bike is 5'2" wide so you can't use a 5x8 trailer.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We have been thinking of a SPYDER as an alternative to a normal toad...

Any comments, suggestions, or warnings would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #7

THOR #6782
Go for it and never look back. We love it. Both of us have a MC endorsement and WA state requires an additional Trike endorsement. Well worth the two day required class. Three wheel physics are way different than two wheel physics.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have a 6x10 enclosed trailer we pull when we take the dresser and dual sport bikes on a trip. Our 24.1 pulls it well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7472.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	4814
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Sorry no CamAm but I have 2 options. I can take 2 bikes in a 6x12 enclosed trailer or I can use a tandem tow dolly. Dolly has a 4x8 platform for bike in front. I use load ramp as rock guard.
I purchased tow dolly late last year and actually haven't had an opportunity to use. Over winter I usually use trailer. we don't always want a car and rent Enterprise if we do. Has worked out well for us.
It had sat for a year or 2 in someone's back yard under a tree. Wife and I stripped it and put 2.5 quarts of Rustoleum primer and white paint. Along w new bearings both sides and breakaway system. the tow dolly does have brakes. Pic included. Thx, Dennis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	4818  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We pull our trike with an Aluma Trike trailer. It is an open trailer, all aluminum, with torsion axle. There are many positives IMHO to just having the trike as you toad. My trailer weighs less than 400 pounds so even with the 1,200 pound Harley loaded I can still push it around on hard surfaces if I have to. Of course one disadvantage, as I sit here typing this I am contemplating the fact I have to get geared up to run an errand on the trike, and it is 47 degrees and raining (central Illinois CG).
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Having read Joe's post regarding his 'bike towing' preference...reminds me..
we have a hitch dolly which we bring along...surprisingly, we can push our trailer around, loaded with the dresser with this dolly...in the sand of a RV park.
For us this is a must have, when we must detach the trailer from our Axis when camping.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Sorry no CamAm but I have 2 options. I can take 2 bikes in a 6x12 enclosed trailer or I can use a tandem tow dolly. Dolly has a 4x8 platform for bike in front. I use load ramp as rock guard.
I purchased tow dolly late last year and actually haven't had an opportunity to use. Over winter I usually use trailer. we don't always want a car and rent Enterprise if we do. Has worked out well for us.
It had sat for a year or 2 in someone's back yard under a tree. Wife and I stripped it and put 2.5 quarts of Rustoleum primer and white paint. Along w new bearings both sides and breakaway system. the tow dolly does have brakes. Pic included. Thx, Dennis.
Do you have a chock for your front tire?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Last Thursday around Ocala on I-75 I saw a first for me. You guys may be familiar with this towing option, and if so, perhaps can shed some light on advantages and disadvantages, although a couple seem obvious (compared to trailer or lift).

It was an SUV towing a large custom Harley as if it was a trailer, with front wheel off the ground supported from SUV's receiver, and rear wheel rolling like a one-wheel trailer. The guy was doing about 80 MPH as he passed me and the bike was as stable as any trailer, maybe more.

I did not have time to get a picture, but found one on WEB to illustrate this towing option. Apparently there are two types of systems which are slightly different. In this one a frame clamps to bike to keep it upright, and in the other straps are used. Swiveling for turns also appears different.

When I first read this thread I wondered if this type of towing was ever used on trikes.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #14

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Do you have a chock for your front tire?
Yes, I use the Harbor Freight wheel chock in all three locations. One on tow dolly and 2 in trailer. In trailer they are staggered so handlebars clear each other.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #15

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Last Thursday around Ocala on I-75 I saw a first for me. You guys may be familiar with this towing option, and if so, perhaps can shed some light on advantages and disadvantages, although a couple seem obvious (compared to trailer or lift).

It was an SUV towing a large custom Harley as if it was a trailer, with front wheel off the ground supported from SUV's receiver, and rear wheel rolling like a one-wheel trailer. The guy was doing about 80 MPH as he passed me and the bike was as stable as any trailer, maybe more.

I did not have time to get a picture, but found one on WEB to illustrate this towing option. Apparently there are two types of systems which are slightly different. In this one a frame clamps to bike to keep it upright, and in the other straps are used. Swiveling for turns also appears different.

When I first read this thread I wondered if this type of towing was ever used on trikes.
I have had bikes for many years and would never use one of these except in very unique circumstances. The only one I can think of now was if I needed one for emergency retrieve of a broken down bike for a short distance. I wouldn't want the wear and tear on my bike and then trust it on a highway at 70-80 mph. Thx Dennis
Old 05-05-2017, 02:09 AM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Yes, I use the Harbor Freight wheel chock in all three locations. One on tow dolly and 2 in trailer. In trailer they are staggered so handlebars clear each other.
Ron uses those chocks too !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #17

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ron uses those chocks too !
From your above post: "we have a hitch dolly which we bring along...surprisingly, we can push our trailer around, loaded with the dresser with this dolly...in the sand of a RV park."

I had to purchase a hitch dolly also as that tandem tow dolly has a lot of tongue weight. I cannot pick it up and move. Have not tried dolly yet but may today just to see if it does what I need. Thx, Dennis.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
From your above post: "we have a hitch dolly which we bring along...surprisingly, we can push our trailer around, loaded with the dresser with this dolly...in the sand of a RV park."

I had to purchase a hitch dolly also as that tandem tow dolly has a lot of tongue weight. I cannot pick it up and move. Have not tried dolly yet but may today just to see if it does what I need. Thx, Dennis.
Dennis...it certainly worked for us ! one use last summer was at KOA in Albuq....had to detach trailer and place it next to Axis...it was on a bit of a slope .. sandy/dirt .. we were able to move it around (Ron took bike out of trailer due to situation...on a hard surface he can push it around easily)
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #19

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Budman, I really like your extended dolly. I checked new ones on-line and they are pricey but we will probably end up with one. One problem I will have to work out is the hitch on my 2014 Challenger is rated at 5,000. With Trike, SUV, and weight of a extended dolly I would be over that by about 800 to 1,000 pounds. So either I am going to have to get a front wheel drive vehicle that weighs closer to 3,000 pounds to beef up my hitch.

We are leaving the CG in an hour to pick up an Enterprise rental. In the Peoria IL area they were the cheapest.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote