Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37FH
State: California
THOR #19539
Newer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Toad

Hello everyone,

Anyone have a newer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon as a toad?

If so, what is the curb weight of your Rubicon?

Have you had any issues towing the Rubicon?

I am looking into buying a Rubicon to tie with a 2020 Thor Challenger 37FH.

Thank you for your feed back.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #2

THOR #19539
Sorry...
That’s “Toad”... not “Toaf”
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I’m sure a few people will give you their real world experience and likely with your exact configuration.

I just purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited and have been setting it up for towing. It is basically the same as the Rubicon. You are looking at just under 4500lbs with the V6 and 4 doors.

I’m going to be towing it with a 2020 Magnitude SV34 and I’m not worried at all. I have been pulling about 1700lbs with a Can Am Spyder on a trailer and I can’t even tell it’s back there.

I just ordered the RVibrake3 portable braking unit and I installed a Roadmaster direct connect baseplate with a Nighthawk Tow Bar.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

THOR #19539
Newer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Toaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I’m sure a few people will give you their real world experience and likely with your exact configuration.

I just purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited and have been setting it up for towing. It is basically the same as the Rubicon. You are looking at just under 4500lbs with the V6 and 4 doors.

I’m going to be towing it with a 2020 Magnitude SV34 and I’m not worried at all. I have been pulling about 1700lbs with a Can Am Spyder on a trailer and I can’t even tell it’s back there.

I just ordered the RVibrake3 portable braking unit and I installed a Roadmaster direct connect baseplate with a Nighthawk Tow Bar.

Thank you so much for the feedback. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Have you looked into Blue Ox tow bars? May I ask why you chose Nighthawk over anything else?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Went across the scales with my 4dr 2008 Rubicon in tow Tuesday. Hardtop. Weighed 4620. Full tank of gas and a Ox Blue base plate and tow bar. Oversized tires is the only add ons.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #6

THOR #19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Went across the scales with my 4dr 2008 Rubicon in tow Tuesday. Hardtop. Weighed 4620. Full tank of gas and a Ox Blue base plate and tow bar. Oversized tires is the only add ons.

Thank you [emoji4]
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Also use the RVI3 brake and it works fantastic with the jeep.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdkim View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Have you looked into Blue Ox tow bars? May I ask why you chose Nighthawk over anything else?

I originally was going to go with Blue Ox but after doing some research and having a past good experience with another Roadmaster product I ended up liking their direct connect baseplate for the Wrangler from a simplicity and ease of installation perspective as well as it having no crossbar as compared to the Blue Ox baseplate.

I also like the Nighthawk tow bar having the built-in electrical and safety cables and also the LED lights for more visibility for night driving. It is a very nice and neat design.

The baseplate installation turned out to be pretty easy and I am impressed with the quality of it and the tow bar.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Anyone have a newer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon as a toad?

If so, what is the curb weight of your Rubicon?

Have you had any issues towing the Rubicon?

I am looking into buying a Rubicon to tie with a 2020 Thor Challenger 37FH.

Thank you for your feed back.
Blue Ox Avail on my 2020 JLU Rubicon. Pretty easy to hook up and seems to work great. Also got the Blue Ox rock guard. A bit spendy at around $400 but then so was the Rubicon. Tows great but of course, more fuel spent towing.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:57 AM   #10

THOR #19539
Quote:
Also use the RVI3 brake and it works fantastic with the jeep.

[emoji106]
Old 07-10-2020, 01:41 AM   #11

THOR #19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Blue Ox Avail on my 2020 JLU Rubicon. Pretty easy to hook up and seems to work great. Also got the Blue Ox rock guard. A bit spendy at around $400 but then so was the Rubicon. Tows great but of course, more fuel spent towing.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Sorry...
That's perfectly okay...
We "understoof" what you meant!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Sorry...
I changed the title for you.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #14

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
We tow our 2019 JLU Rubicon behind our 2018 Miramar 37.1, which I’m almost certain has virtually the same specs as the OP’s Challenger.

JLU is outfitted with a LOD signature bumper, LOD frame-tie points for the cables, and LOD Blue Ox tow adapters attached to Blue Ox Ascent two bar. For lights, I installed the OEM wiring kit. For brakes, we use an original Blue Ox Patriot a friend had. I may replace it with an RV iBrake 3 at some point, but it’s working well right now. The height of the tow bar is naturally almost perfect so I don’t need a drop/rise adapter for the hitch.

Short version is: no problems towing at all, maybe a 0.5mpg drop in fuel economy vs no toad. I barely know it’s back there when in motion, and it only provides a small noticeable drag when accelerating.

I don’t know about the exact weight as I haven’t weighed the Jeep with or without the MH. We tow with it virtually empty, but do have the dual top option so it changes when I swap tops, but I’d estimate it’s in the 4200lb ballpark.

We had a friend with a lifted JKU Sport which had some problems with the steering wheel jacking over fully one way or another when underway, but I’ve never had any issues with my virtually stock JLU. So, I attribute their problem to a poorly done lift job or other alignment issue.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:31 AM   #15

THOR #19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
We tow our 2019 JLU Rubicon behind our 2018 Miramar 37.1, which I’m almost certain has virtually the same specs as the OP’s Challenger.

JLU is outfitted with a LOD signature bumper, LOD frame-tie points for the cables, and LOD Blue Ox tow adapters attached to Blue Ox Ascent two bar. For lights, I installed the OEM wiring kit. For brakes, we use an original Blue Ox Patriot a friend had. I may replace it with an RV iBrake 3 at some point, but it’s working well right now. The height of the tow bar is naturally almost perfect so I don’t need a drop/rise adapter for the hitch.

Short version is: no problems towing at all, maybe a 0.5mpg drop in fuel economy vs no toad. I barely know it’s back there when in motion, and it only provides a small noticeable drag when accelerating.

I don’t know about the exact weight as I haven’t weighed the Jeep with or without the MH. We tow with it virtually empty, but do have the dual top option so it changes when I swap tops, but I’d estimate it’s in the 4200lb ballpark.

We had a friend with a lifted JKU Sport which had some problems with the steering wheel jacking over fully one way or another when underway, but I’ve never had any issues with my virtually stock JLU. So, I attribute their problem to a poorly done lift job or other alignment issue.

Yes. Miramar has similar specs to the Challenger. Thank you so much for that information. It was very helpful.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 AM   #16

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
THOR #19344
I'm new to it, but I tow a 2012 JKUR with my 2018 Thor 24FE. The Jeep is heavy, I have front and rear steel bumpers, 3.5" lift on 35s, steel corners sliders and pillars, but run no top. Not sure what the weight is overall.

I use a harbor freight tow bar with magnetic tow lights, no brake.

So far its tows easily. I havent compared the gas mileage yet. I was towing a Starcraft 11RT popup with the Jeep and the mileage sucked so I'm pretty sure I'm better off now.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #17

THOR #19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley97 View Post
I'm new to it, but I tow a 2012 JKUR with my 2018 Thor 24FE. The Jeep is heavy, I have front and rear steel bumpers, 3.5" lift on 35s, steel corners sliders and pillars, but run no top. Not sure what the weight is overall.

I use a harbor freight tow bar with magnetic tow lights, no brake.

So far its tows easily. I havent compared the gas mileage yet. I was towing a Starcraft 11RT popup with the Jeep and the mileage sucked so I'm pretty sure I'm better off now.

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #19891
Quote:

So a blue ox with 6300 towing bar will work?