Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
No lock!

I tow a 2014 wrangler 4 door Sahara, trail rated. The instructions for 4 down towing require negative cable to be disconnected and key in acc to prevent steering column lock. I did it this way for a year. I have a charge line from the rv so even if battery disconnected you still get power on the key buzzer, dome lights etc. It turns out that this jeep does not show on the as delivered equipment list a steering column lock. In fact the column does not lock so I don't need to be in acc position. With the charge line I don't have to disconnect the negative cable either. Now I just follow the procedure to put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park. Now I turn the key completely off, take it out and lock the doors. It tows great, easier to set up and more secure. Point is check your wrangler for a steering lock, it may not have one.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
The 2014 Cherokee was advertised as the easiest
vehicle to tow .
Our 2016 "was" advertised the same way, that's the year Jeep admitted it was the hardest .
Takes me longer to set the Cherokee up to be towed by our Citation than it takes to get it ready to tow!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
That’s crazy that your manual says one thing but it’s really opposite. Maybe it’s a case like with the coaches where the chassis is one year but the house is another. Maybe your Wrangler was built in 2013 but they put the 2014 model year on it. I know my wife’s 2013 doesn’t have a lock.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Mine doesn't have a lock either. The manual says put it in acc so it doesn't lock. They should have mentioned in the manual that some jeeps don't have a lock and so don't need that step.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
Mine doesn't have a lock either. The manual says put it in acc so it doesn't lock. They should have mentioned in the manual that some jeeps don't have a lock and so don't need that step.

The owners manual is the ultimate source... right up until it is wrong... lol.
My 2010 Wrangler doesn’t have a steering lock either, so tow without a key. The Invisibrake installer also said I didn’t need to disconnect the battery, but I still do per the manual.
Only behavior difference I found in testing was the behavior of the high center brake light. It isn’t used by the OEM wiring harness, so doesn’t illuminate with battery disconnected.
With battery connected it illuminates only when toad brakes are engaged - with is a max of 30 seconds for each application of RV brakes with Invisibrake... So stopped at a red light, the center light goes out 30 seconds after I started braking.
Of course he main brake lights follow the RV lights.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote