Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I don't pull a toad. Maybe it's because I came from the motorcycle camping world and formed some pretty good habits.

a. Just before "going to ground" for the day I stop at a Walmart, etc, to top off the gas tank.
b. While I'm getting fuel the GF goes inside for any items needed to replenish the pantry. And to get the evening's ice cream dessert.

b. WRT museum, attraction parking I check the site's website and pull it up on Google Earth for a bird's eye view.

Need to get around? We use our bikes. A little cardio workout is good for body.

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:00 AM   #62

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We did the no toad for most of our MH life. It was not an issue with the smaller B+ Gulfstream we had for the past 12 years or the true Coachman B we had before that. Now with a 29' class A I do not want to break camp and then look for parking on "cooks night out" or grocery trips into small towns without a Wally World. We are now officially toad people. Additionally being able to pre scout areas with the Cherokee before running a foul of crappy forest service roads is a HUGE plus. You know, the roads with the "best" campgrounds in the district just a couple miles up the mountain. The ones that start out paved, go to gravel then end up a one lane dirt goat track with low hanging trees and nowhere to turn around a MH. It'll be nice to check those out before ripping the A/C off the roof or the gas tank off the bottom.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #63

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
We used to have a 24 ft. class C and didn't take a toad with us. We used our bicycles and campground shuttles to get around. When we spent a week a Prince Edward Island we rented a car for the week to explore the island.

We later upsized to a 32 ft., and before we did a big cross-country trip I set up our 2012 CR-V as a toad. Now we tend to take the toad on most trips, and it's really nice to be able to drive the family and dogs around. We just got back from a spring break trip, and we used the toad to drive to a trailhead for a nice hike, and to go into little towns to explore, shop, and eat. There was no place to park a MH at these places, so it was great to have the toad.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Interesting and contrasting pattern emerging.

As expected, smaller motorhomes don’t tow a toad as often, and when owners trade for larger motorhomes, they are often forced into having a toad. But then when they have a toad, they spend more time moving around in the small vehicle and less time in the spacious motorhome.

I suppose that’s where the trade off comes in. A smaller RV allows you to have the motorhome near you more of the time, but it’s smaller and relatively cramped; unless of course you compare it to space in a toad. I personally like having access to food, toilet, a bed, and all my gear at all times, so whether driving around Yellowstone or DC, I’d rather be in a small RV than a car. Obviously, while stationary at a campground, extra space is always nice. Since we spend more time moving around than stationary (excluding time asleep) it makes the decision for us.

With unlimited budget, I think my perfect setup might be a large motorhome towing a small 4X4 Class B as a toad, but even then I’m not sure I’d want the restrictions that come with so much equipment.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #65
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Interesting and contrasting pattern emerging.

As expected, smaller motorhomes don’t tow a toad as often, and when owners trade for larger motorhomes, they are often forced into having a toad. But then when they have a toad, they spend more time moving around in the small vehicle and less time in the spacious motorhome.

I suppose that’s where the trade off comes in. A smaller RV allows you to have the motorhome near you more of the time, but it’s smaller and relatively cramped; unless of course you compare it to space in a toad. I personally like having access to food, toilet, a bed, and all my gear at all times, so whether driving around Yellowstone or DC, I’d rather be in a small RV than a car. Obviously, while stationary at a campground, extra space is always nice. Since we spend more time moving around than stationary (excluding time asleep) it makes the decision for us.

With unlimited budget, I think my perfect setup might be a large motorhome towing a small 4X4 Class B as a toad, but even then I’m not sure I’d want the restrictions that come with so much equipment.
Except we've been to places with our toad that no class B would fit (granted you could argue that if your class B doesn't fit I don't want to go there).

Of course the opposite is true (what you mention): people go all over the place with their B.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #66

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Different strokes for different folks. There is no right or wrong answers on this issue. We like the freedom we get with the toad. Sometimes we may drive a hundred or more miles from our base camp. At 40 mpg that is doable. At 10 ( or less ) mpg not so doable. Plus the extra wear and tear on the MH makes the toad well worth the cost. But again, it all boils down to individual likes and styles of camping.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Except we've been to places with our toad that no class B would fit (granted you could argue that if your class B doesn't fit I don't want to go there).

Of course the opposite is true (what you mention): people go all over the place with their B.
I’m really curious where you’ve gone with a car that a smallish van camper can’t fit? And how often does that come up?

I can imagine parking garages, and many fast food drive-thrus, but can’t think too many other places a 20-ft van that fits in a standard parking spot can’t go. Are you thinking mostly the added height, weight, propane, or something else?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #68
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m really curious where you’ve gone with a car that a smallish van camper can’t fit? And how often does that come up?

I can imagine parking garages, and many fast food drive-thrus, but can’t think too many other places a 20-ft van that fits in a standard parking spot can’t go. Are you thinking mostly the added height, weight, propane, or something else?
Keep in mind that we've done quite a bit of urban camping: Parking garages (quite a few), close quarters in downtown parking lots, etc. (St. Louis, Cleveland, Boston, Washington DC, etc.).
Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #69

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
We just bought an Axis 25.2 and my DH wants to try camping without a toad. I'm concerned that we will be limited in what we can do and it will be a pain. Our previous camping was with a trailer so we had a vehicle for excursions.

We plan to go on shorter trips this summer and then branch out to longer trips next year after retirement. I would imagine us mainly visiting national and state parks throughout the country, but staying in campgrounds and not boondocking for now.

I am not concerned about the hassle of breaking camp as we travel light and it is just the two of us, but I am concerned about parking at the different parks and attractions. DH believes we can simply uber or rent a car but I think that would get old fast.

What has been your experiences going without a toad? There are no arguments I can use right now to convince DH we need to use one, so I really want advice on how to handle finding parking for the Axis which is 26.5' long.

Is there usually bus or rv parking at zoos, museums, parks, etc.? Any advice on apps that can be used to find out what kinds of parking attractions have available or do you have to call ahead for each anticipated stop?
We have a 24 foot Vegas and do not pull a car. We always rent a car from Enterprise if staying for acouple days in a certain area. We like Enterprise because they will pick you up at your campsite and return you back. Since it is a small size RV, it's easy to just pack and go sometimes for a short site seeing trips from the campsite.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #70

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Toad or not

I parked my RV in downtown San Francisco by using an app called “Parking Panda” to reserve a spot. That being said, I love my toad. You will be limited at scenic outlooks with only your Axis (I have a 2014). It really made a difference when I finally got the guts to toad.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #71

THOR #14021
Most has been covered like renting a car and bikes. New for us was finding most every tourist town or area has a unique vehicle like a trolly or open bus to tour the town/area. We always took the tours to get an overview of the place, most tour allow you to get off and on at different sites. It is never fun to take a MH through a city or even park a car. Most all tours start in a visiter type area with plenty of parking for RV's. You can do most all you want without a Toad
Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 AM   #72

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Ebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
I like the idea of an e-bike. Our concerns are not the cost as much as the hassle of towing. That could solve my concerns about getting around at national parks assuming they allow them on the roads.
I have an ebike and I love it. In Acadia they were ‘not allowed’ on the carriage road and they were ‘not allowed’ on the buses due to the lithium batteries although the bus driver did confide that he would not search my back pack.

Without a toad I wouldn’t have been able to see the views in the Smokey’s or along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just too tight. And the ebike or moped wouldn’t have been able to make the hills. Same was true in Yosemite when I was there. Depends on what kind of style of travel you’re anticipating. I take my ebike and my toad on some trips. Neither on others. Just depends.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #73

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
The main reason we go rving is to explore the sights where we go. If you go to a National Park you would be stuck at your camp sight and couldn’t enjoy the rest of the park. There is few national parks where a rent car or Uber would be available. We never go without a toad.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:22 AM   #74

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Soldier Girl
that story makes me remember how it was when I used to do all my own work on my cars. Seems like I was always crawling under and through whatever it was I was driving at the time.... when I'd be waiting for the oil to drain I'd be scooting around looking and poking at everything under there... that sort of thing. I remember many times hearing a new rattle or something, and immediately being able to diagnose the problem while at highway speeds!

Now, between the complexity of cars and my lack of time...and lack of desire... I have very little idea what makes them tick...

My MH though, that's another animal...by necessity I've been through just about every inch of that thing at least twice.
I'm gonna resemble that last remark once I get a lil more experience - I hope!
Old 04-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #75

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
I have a Vegas 24.1, in the four years of travelling we always use our bicycles, shuttles, public transport. In these 4 yaers, we took 2 taxis and rented a car for 8 days once.
Enterprise will come at your camping, excellent service. I do not want to tow.

Michel
Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #76

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Rent A Car

We travel without towing a vehicle. If we were long term motor homers maybe we would consider it.
In the meantime, I recommend Enterprise Rent a Car. Set up your RV for a brief stay, call (or previously arrange) Enterprise and they send someone to get you and take you to their location.
Rent the car, drive back to the RV and find the nearest mall or Whole Foods store.
One caveat: your RV park needs to be in range of the Enterprise office.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #77

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
I'm going to pull the Jeep around as soon as I get all the stuff installed! Waiting on the bumper, have everything else. It even matches pretty well, but that was just luck.

edit-4.jpg by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Old 04-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #78

THOR #2121
That’s indeed a nice looking blue.

If I had an RV that required a toad, a Jeep just like that would be at top of my list. Wife wants a 4-door to replace minivan, but I like looks of the 2-door a lot more. My son has new 4-door and loves it. It’s very quiet and fuel efficient for a Jeep.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #79
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
I have a Vegas 24.1, in the four years of travelling we always use our bicycles, shuttles, public transport. In these 4 yaers, we took 2 taxis and rented a car for 8 days once.
Enterprise will come at your camping, excellent service. I do not want to tow.

Michel
Axis/Vegas 24.1 has no problems towing....
Click image for larger version

Name:	boltreadyletsgo.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	16835
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-08 15.07.32.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	16836
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #80

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #4624
We are going with a toad for our trip out west this summer. We will use a jeep wrangler because we also visit national parks on our trips and have not been able to travel the back roads without a high clearance 4wd vehicle. I hate to limit ourselves on our national park adventures.