Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The Jeep is complete

Never thought I'd say this but Camping World did a great job outfitting my WK2 for flat towing.

On flat ground I can't even feel it behind me. In Sept I'll see how it does in the hills.

BTW, the 59.00 installation promotion at Camping World has come to an end.

Baseplate arms removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep7.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	18902

Baseplate arms and crossbar installed

Name:	Jeep6.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	18903

Baseplate arms and crossbar installed lower shot

Name:	Jeep8.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18904

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #1636
We tow a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk and can't stand the in/out of the fuse under the hood for the "death wobble" issue. Kindly provide the link you have on installation of a dash switch as I have searched for a 10amp bypass fuse switch with no success.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #23

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBroker View Post
We tow a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk and can't stand the in/out of the fuse under the hood for the "death wobble" issue. Kindly provide the link you have on installation of a dash switch as I have searched for a 10amp bypass fuse switch with no success.
I can’t find the post for the switch, but I do have a copy of the instructions that were part of the post. Basically you are putting a switch in series with the fuse so you can flip the switch on when you are towing and off when you are not. Toughest part of the install for me was getting the wiring through the firewall as it’s really tight in there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Wiring Kit Switch Installation.pdf (1.30 MB, 92 views)
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #15567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We paid $3500 to have our 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk set up in 2018.
Parts were $2800 and labor $700. This included a Roadmaster Baseplate, a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, RVi Brake portable braking system, and RVi Battery charger and installation and wiring for the brake and tail lights and the RVi charger wiring. Took them a day to do it. In typical Denver spring fashion (late April) we had snow the day I picked it up.

Then it cost me $600 and several weeks of waiting for the Jeep death wobble cable with installation. Jeep has finally got their act together and don’t require the cable starting with the 2019’s. But you still will need the battery charger as I believe that the power steering is still powered while towing. In hindsight I could have handled the installation myself.

Add another $100 or so for stuff like a tow bar cover, hitch riser and a couple of quiet hitch clamps. I also installed a switch inside the cabin so I don’t need to keep inserting and pulling the fuse. Say $4300 all in.
Rick, How do you disengage the drive train to tow your jeep?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Here is my procedure. It’s based on the procedure that was included with the death wobble cable. There are also a few videos of how to put the PTU into neutral
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #26

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #14190
Lol just sold my Lincoln navigator and want to get the Trailhawk also. Having a tough time finding one in our area. Glad to see others selecting this vehicle to tow, makes me feel better about my decision. I though the death wobble was fixed with the 2019 models and the mopar harness was no longer needed? I know there is a lot of opinions going on about that
Old 08-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyra View Post
Lol just sold my Lincoln navigator and want to get the Trailhawk also. Having a tough time finding one in our area. Glad to see others selecting this vehicle to tow, makes me feel better about my decision. I though the death wobble was fixed with the 2019 models and the mopar harness was no longer needed? I know there is a lot of opinions going on about that
One of the biggest reason for the Trailhawk is the Quadra-Drive II transfer case which is standard on the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. The QDII is optional on other trim levels and I believe it is standard on one or two other Grand Cherokee trim levels. When we were purchasing I looked at the specs on Jeeps website and would not allow a dealer to talk to me about anything that did not have the QDII as standard equipment. It amazed me how little one dealers sales people knew about their vehicles. I wound up going to another dealer 30 miles down the road.

For the Cherokee the death wobble was supposedly corrected for 2019 so the cable should not be required. Haven't heard of the Death Wobble issue with Grand Cherokees although it may have been present in earlier model years.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #28

THOR #14190
I have found you better do your home work when buying a toad. I have read a few post that people have listened to the dealer bought the vehicle only to find out it can’t be flat towed. I have only seen one Trailhawk in our town and had to run them down to ask questions about it and how they liked it. For now it is at the top of my list. Retired Air Force
Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 AM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyra View Post
Both the Cherokee Trailhawk and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 2019 model year are 4 down towable without the aftermarket "death wobble" cable. That is verbatim from the Chrysler/Jeep factory rep in our area. We bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite for my wife's everyday driver and our "toad". Cherokees are built in Belvidere IL about 100 miles from our location and the local dealer we got ours from had to get it from a dealership outside St. Louis Mo. 350 miles from here. The capability of the Trailhawk models along with the equipment available on the SUV make them tough to find even close to where they build um! This is our 5th Jeep product since 2000 and we have been happy with every one we have owned. Getting another as the "toad" for our MH was a no brainer for us.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #1469
Follow-up and it's not good

We were headed out to Pinnacle NC for Labor Day and when I hooked up the TOAD I noticed during the pre-op checks that the InvsiBrake was not engaging when the brakes were depressed. Disconnected the cable, reconnected the cable, checked the fuse and all was well. We decided that we were not going to waste any more time and the DW drove the JGC while I drove the coach. Called Camping World and the installer was off for the holidays so they said they would call me back on Monday. No call Monday or Tuesday. I called today and found out the original service writer now works for Airsteam and last weeks service advisor quit.

When I talked to someone today tghe first words out of their mouth were "call Roadmaster" . I had a few words with the service manager and it got real ugly real fast.

I called the Roadmaster rep and he is coming to my house on Monday. Upon further checking I found that on the TOAD I have no 4 ways, no left or right turn signals or no brake lights. I do have tail lights. Roadmaster rep believes there is a loose wire on the 6 or 7 pin plug of the Roadmaster cable. His words were he will fix it, Roadmaster wants me happy and I should not concern myself with someone's shoddy installation.

We'll see what happens on Friday.

As a note, at least it didn't happen while towing which could have been disastrous.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #31

State: Florida
THOR #15410
I have found out the hard way that camping world is not the best installer for my needs. I now find a local shop that can do a much better, and correct job.even if it may cost more.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Update

Roadmaster rep came by today and the issue is not with the cabling but somewhere on the coach itself. I suspect a blown fuse in either the power distribution box or the under dash fuse box. There was a pretty steady rain today so I wasn't able to check much without getting drenched. My next trip isn't until the middle of October so I have some time to troubleshoot the issue.

Right now I have power to the 7 pin for taillights but no power for turn signals or brake lights. An initial look in the manual shows about 6 fuses or relays that are identified as "trailer tow turn signals". All the taillights and turn signals on the coach work I'm just not getting power for them to the 7 Pin connector.

Hopefully the blown fuse is in the power distribution box. If not I might have to remove the driver's seat just to get access to the under dash fuse box.

If the problem is in fact a blown fuse, the next question will be why did it blow?

When we were under the coach today we found that there is about 5 feet of harness (extra length) that was rolled up and thrown on top of the fuel tank. We also found the LP line going to the quick connect for the outdoor kitchen is not adequately secure. Those items have become entries on the "To Do List".

More to follow.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And THAT is why I do all of my own installations. I’m a bit anal about my wiring connections, routing and other details. Even the best shop is more interested in throughput than precision and neatness.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #34
Site Team

THOR #1469
Most expensive fuse I ever bought

Today I began the process for replacing the fuse for my 7 pin connector. The most expensive fuse I ever contemplated purchasing.

It is also a funny looking fuse.

Name:	Entegra.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	20113
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Outfitting a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Today I began the process for replacing the fuse for my 7 pin connector. The most expensive fuse I ever contemplated purchasing.

It is also a funny looking fuse.

Attachment 20113

Lol... you buy the most unique tires (Challenger) and fuses (Entegra Super C) I’ve ever seen... Wonder what you would get if actually shopping for an RV??? [emoji4]
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:11 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #1469
Well pick up the new fuse (Accolade) today and went to hook the Jeep up to tow it home. Got everything connected and all lights worked, brake lights functioned, turn signals work so the coach is supply power through the 7 pin to the Jeep taillights. The problem is when you step on the brake in the coach the InvisiBrake does not function. The InvisiBrake will apply the brakes if I poll the breakaway pin.

I called the RoadMaster rep and he is going to come back to the house the end of October to determine what is happening.

The saga continues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #1469
Update

I hooked the jeep up yesterday and I was going to see if the InvisiBrake would operate if I connected a ground wire from coach to TOAD. After being connect for a few I noticed I was getting power to the TOAD's right turn signal and brake light. Left worked fine. I disconnected everything and using a test light I found no power to the RH Turn Signal pin on the 7 pin connector on the coach. Today I found where the correct fuse box (I have 4 Freightliner fuse boxes that I have found so far) and found a blown 20A fuse. I had to go to the auto parts store to get some mini fuses since my stock was all ATO and along the way I decided I would replace the fuse and then stop.

When the RoadMaster Rep gets here on Tuesday I am going to have him verify power to the 7 pin. I then want him to test the diodes in the RoadMaster harness. We blew the fuses in the Challenger and it has now blown a fuse on the Accolade. I have a nasty suspicion there might be a bad diode. Then we can get to the InvisiBrake issue.

More to follow.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #1469
Update

The RoadMaster rep was here today and the end result is he is planning on conducting an additional training session for the folks that installed everything on my Jeep.

First they connected everything into the 6 pin connector on the front of the Jeep. This caused a fat wire loom without any type of insulation between the wire connectors. We believe this is what caused the blown fuses on the Challenger and the blown RH turn signal fuse on the Accolade.

The rep removed the wires for the invisiBrake from the 6 pin connector. The rep then went further back on the harness to connect in the InvisiBrake wiring.

Next, the brake light switch that is a part of the installation had to be reset.

Then the electric eye which monitors the brake pedal movement for the brake monitor was zip tied on with the zip tie covering the electronic eye so it would never sense brake pedal movement. The rep reinstalled the electronic eye using 2 zip ties (as it should have been done originally) and ensured noting was blocking the electronic eye's vision of the brake pedal.

Everything is good to go now.

Also, during his visit I mentioned my concern over the 2 inch high/low adapter I had to install having a 10 inch extension and how the safety cables now seem like they would be bit tight on a sharp turn. He reached into the back of his car and gave me a pair of 8 inch safety cable extensions rated at 8,000 pounds.

Right now I am one very satisfied RoadMaster customer.

For those interested here is a link for the safety cable extensions.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgIBzPD_BwE
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #39
Site Team

THOR #1469
Problems solved good tow today

My issues with the InvisiBrake have been solved. Got a good 150 mile tow in today for the Accolade’s shakedown trip.

Name:	21BC9916-180B-4B55-84B4-9A9E67AB99D9.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	21337
Old 01-28-2020, 01:02 AM   #40

THOR #14190
Brake light relay

Getting ready to purchase all the items to flat tow our 2019 trailhawk. Going with the Blue OX base plates and tow bar. I'm wondering about the light kit. I'm going with the Roadmaster Diode 7-Wire to 6-Wire Flexo-Coil Wiring Kit. Reading the installation instructions it states I may need a brake light relay if using supplemental braking. I intend to use the Patriot II braking system. Reading many post I have not seen one person mention anything about a brake light relay. Are most of you installing or having the brake light relay installed? Appreciate any input you may have.