Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
This poor guy didn't leave Ford Raptor in N

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.X_OEr9hKiM8

Old 01-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
OUCH!!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I wonder if he was a nube!
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Betting they were newbies...... surprised we haven't seen more of stories like this one!
Old 01-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Betting they were newbies...... surprised we haven't seen more of stories like this one!
i am a nube, and this forum has been a big help. I'm just lucky I haven't burnt anything to the ground yet. Who knows, I might get there.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
That's a helluva way to ring in 2021. Not the fireworks they were looking for.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:19 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
i am a nube, and this forum has been a big help. I'm just lucky I haven't burnt anything to the ground yet. Who knows, I might get there.
The good news is that at one time or another we were all newbies! And thanks to people like those on this site it kept most of us safe and better educated!!!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The linked site doesn't like my ad blocker and will not play the vid.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The good news is that at one time or another we were all newbies! And thanks to people like those on this site it kept most of us safe and better educated!!!
I learned the hard way back in them 80s, no internet forums or youtube. I was lucky to have a shop chief that was a camper and willing to could school me on the basics.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #10

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The linked site doesn't like my ad blocker and will not play the vid.
I just go to my phone when they throw that crap at me. Sorry
Old 01-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Wow We drove through that same area on Saturday coming back from Utah. Saw a few traffic accidents and idiot people driving in and out of heavy traffic around the Cajon Summit down to the 215.

Paul
Old 01-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #12

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Wow We drove through that same area on Saturday coming back from Utah. Saw a few traffic accidents and idiot people driving in and out of heavy traffic around the Cajon Summit down to the 215.

Paul
Utah has an 80MPH speed limit on the I-15. That includes trucks and RVs and it doesn't slow down for the passes either. If you set your cruise at 86 they will never look at you. So they mainly ticket at 90+ but if you use Waze you will see them way before you get on them. I run my Magnitude at 75 and everyone blows past me. I will do 80 on the flats and then my mileage drops to 9.1 on the computer. If I slow down to 75 I get 9.5 and if I'm don't have the TOAD I get a bit over 10. So the mpg isn't much of an issue its just safety out here on these passes and such. The fleet trucks with 65 to 70 mph speed limiters cause a lot of jams too.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:25 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's easy to 'assume' someone did not leave their vehicle in Neutral, or for these 4-wheel drive vehicles, with the TRANSFER case in neutral, not the transmission - but that's not something to assume.

I lost a toad, a 2014 Ford Fiesta, in a similar situation, but it certainly was in it's Neutral position, at least WHEN we left the campground. 25-30 miles later the 'accident' happened... [we are seasoned RVrs - we had towed this car already 50,000 miles!]

What happened? Well, certainly the vehicle was initially in NEUTRAL, as you WILL KNOW, as a motorhome owner/driver, if your vehicle is being pulled with no wheels turning - as this will absolutely be a BIG DRAG on your motorhome - you would know it immediately. I imagine that his situation could be similar to ours:

We had left the campground on some dirt roads, in Manitoba, Canada, coming out of Angle Intlet, MN(which is a very small area of the U.S. totally surrounded by Canada and water... you MUST go thru Canada to get to it!), down some VERY dusty roads, and eventually, back into Canada, and down some quite skinny roads, though traveled extensively by commercial DUAL-DUMP trailer semi trucks, which are very long and heavy. I remember that one of those had just passed us when I felt a 'tug' on the motorhome, at first considering it as 'wind' generated by the passing semi, but even then realizing that it didn't feel 'normal'... then, a few seconds later, another 'tug', and I then started considering that something ELSE was amiss - and then suddenly realized that billowing SMOKE was showing in my rear-monitor - I instantly thought that my DIESEL motorhome engine was smoking!
But, when I could come to a stop, and pull slightly off the highway, I jumped out and ran back to find that my TOAD was billowing smoke, and NOT the diesel pusher engine right in front of it - there was no 'fire', but you certainly at first don't really 'know' if fire is present under the hood the car until you can see it - but then I noticed that the hood was ALREADY popped...and then I noticed that the hood had SHRAPNEL coming thru in several places - like a 'bomb' had gone off under the hood.
The tires looked PERFECT - with NO issues, no flat spots, nothing - I instantly KNEW that the car was in Neutral, and looking into the car, it WAS still in Neutral.

So, in the end, thru an insurance claim and many folks having laid eyes on the damages, which consisted of a engine 'blown up', and a transmission 'pierced' by a piece of metal, it was concluded, and I agreed, that the passing dual-dump semi truck had run over something in the road, throwing it over and under the toad, as we passed, piercing the transmission body as it also simultaneously knocked the transmission gear lever, located between the transmission and engine, into REVERSE!

you get the picture...

Insurance paid a total loss on the toad, via the comprehensive coverage. I had a $100 deductible. I only wish I hand't only recently put brand new tires on it : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:36 AM   #14

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it's easy to 'assume' someone did not leave their vehicle in Neutral, or for these 4-wheel drive vehicles, with the TRANSFER case in neutral, not the transmission - but that's not something to assume.

I lost a toad, a 2014 Ford Fiesta, in a similar situation, but it certainly was in it's Neutral position, at least WHEN we left the campground. 25-30 miles later the 'accident' happened... [we are seasoned RVrs - we had towed this car already 50,000 miles!]

What happened? Well, certainly the vehicle was initially in NEUTRAL, as you WILL KNOW, as a motorhome owner/driver, if your vehicle is being pulled with no wheels turning - as this will absolutely be a BIG DRAG on your motorhome - you would know it immediately. I imagine that his situation could be similar to ours:

We had left the campground on some dirt roads, in Manitoba, Canada, coming out of Angle Intlet, MN(which is a very small area of the U.S. totally surrounded by Canada and water... you MUST go thru Canada to get to it!), down some VERY dusty roads, and eventually, back into Canada, and down some quite skinny roads, though traveled extensively by commercial DUAL-DUMP trailer semi trucks, which are very long and heavy. I remember that one of those had just passed us when I felt a 'tug' on the motorhome, at first considering it as 'wind' generated by the passing semi, but even then realizing that it didn't feel 'normal'... then, a few seconds later, another 'tug', and I then started considering that something ELSE was amiss - and then suddenly realized that billowing SMOKE was showing in my rear-monitor - I instantly thought that my DIESEL motorhome engine was smoking!
But, when I could come to a stop, and pull slightly off the highway, I jumped out and ran back to find that my TOAD was billowing smoke, and NOT the diesel pusher engine right in front of it - there was no 'fire', but you certainly at first don't really 'know' if fire is present under the hood the car until you can see it - but then I noticed that the hood was ALREADY popped...and then I noticed that the hood had SHRAPNEL coming thru in several places - like a 'bomb' had gone off under the hood.
The tires looked PERFECT - with NO issues, no flat spots, nothing - I instantly KNEW that the car was in Neutral, and looking into the car, it WAS still in Neutral.

So, in the end, thru an insurance claim and many folks having laid eyes on the damages, which consisted of a engine 'blown up', and a transmission 'pierced' by a piece of metal, it was concluded, and I agreed, that the passing dual-dump semi truck had run over something in the road, throwing it over and under the toad, as we passed, piercing the transmission body as it also simultaneously knocked the transmission gear lever, located between the transmission and engine, into REVERSE!

you get the picture...

Insurance paid a total loss on the toad, via the comprehensive coverage. I had a $100 deductible. I only wish I hand't only recently put brand new tires on it : /
That makes more sense, the guy had left SLC and drove over 200 miles before this. So it should have burnt up many hours before this. I just have this news article so I don't know more than this. The local news here never seems to post follow-up articles.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 AM   #15

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Looking at what's left of that Raptor, it certainly doesn't say much for the aluminum bodies of the Ford trucks.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:03 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... throwing a beer can into a bonfire never works out well for the can.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 AM   #17

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Looking at what's left of that Raptor, it certainly doesn't say much for the aluminum bodies of the Ford trucks.
I bet the local volunteer fire department got there in about 20 minutes. That area is just too far out. It looks like a full time fire station in Hurricane got there too. That is a good 15-20 minutes too. Just a bit out of jurisdiction of the full time fire areas. Everyone down here chips in and gets out as fast as they can. The coach got totaled too in my guesstimation.

I am surprised that my MH with a value of nearly 200K is as cheap as my pickup truck for insurance. I guess RV'rs are safe drivers and have less problems than the masses in common vehicles.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:11 AM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Cajon Summit to the 215 is in California and has a speed limit of 70.

Paul
Old 01-05-2021, 04:40 AM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Omg this is one of my fears. I triple check everything but still have that worry that something is going to happen to our toad
Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Omg this is one of my fears. I triple check everything but still have that worry that something is going to happen to our toad

That is why I always have my rear camera on and the DW and I can keep an eye on things while we are driving.

I will say this does make me think I will add an extra fire extingquisher or two to the coach before next season.