Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
Is it possible to keep toad clean?

My first trip with our Ford Ranger (all black with a black cap) went well but it rained all the way for 3.5 hrs of highway driving. Only trouble was the next day found that the entire truck and windows were covered in fine black residue that I eventually had to scrub off with soap and water.
Is there anyway to keep the toad clean? Do those curtains hanging from the rear of the RV help? Any experience here for this or should I just expect to wash the toad a lot?

Old 10-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I don't think anything will help... My advise... Get rid of BLACK.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy64 View Post
My first trip with our Ford Ranger (all black with a black cap) went well but it rained all the way for 3.5 hrs of highway driving. Only trouble was the next day found that the entire truck and windows were covered in fine black residue that I eventually had to scrub off with soap and water.
Is there anyway to keep the toad clean? Do those curtains hanging from the rear of the RV help? Any experience here for this or should I just expect to wash the toad a lot?
Rock shields help, big wide mudflaps help as does using a dolly, but the real answer is an enclosed trailer.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quick fix, although not a cure - a really thorough wax job, INCLUDING glass wax on the windshield and windows Rain-X or similar).

Keep it waxed well, and a good hosing-off will remove 95% of any road grime/ bug guts etc.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The person who brings out an automotive that looks like road grime will always get my business...
Old 10-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You are not going to prevent the swirling blast of oily road wash, but besides mud flaps I use a skirt product called Protect a Tow. ($260 on Amazon) It keeps most of the stones from sandblasting the nose of our toad. Some say those brush skirts actually pick up stones.

I'll second the enclosed trailer, and also the wax and RainX. Accept the fact that you're not going to keep any toad pristine.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I have the same unit. I made skirts that covered 90% below the rear bumper of the TV. Went on a trip our west last year and our Jeep's front end got trashed and also got a cracked windshield. I now use the Blue Ox screen type protector. They do not make it anymore. Why I don't know. It works great. I did find this which is very similar to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Protect-Tow-M...81VY73KX&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toad protector.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	34334  
Old 10-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy64 View Post
We have been towing vehicles behind motorhomes for over 14 years and the short answer is no. One thing you learn quickly is to not turn on your wipers to clean the windshield on the toad until you have washed off the windshield with a hose. The sand, grit, and dirt that builds up there while the vehicle is being towed will harm you wipes and sometimes can scratch the windshield because sand is silicon. We are usually looking for a local car wash when we get to the next destination.

Bob
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
I have the same unit. I made skirts that covered 90% below the rear bumper of the TV. Went on a trip our west last year and our Jeep's front end got trashed and also got a cracked windshield. I now use the Blue Ox screen type protector. They do not make it anymore. Why I don't know. It works great. I did find this which is very similar to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Protect-Tow-M...81VY73KX&psc=1
That's the one I use. It's a bit cheaper direct from the Protect A Tow website than it is on Amazon, even with shipping factored in.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:51 AM   #10
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I have a Raodmaster Tow Defender Protective Screen. It works well, but nothing is perfect. It is made for tow bars towing four down.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:14 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I've been towing a dinghy since the 90s and have learned to live with the dinghy getting dirty, just like the motor home does. If it rains and you drive, your stuff will get dirty.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:21 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The way I see it:
A dirty Toad means that the RV is being used.
And this makes for a happy camper!
Old 10-16-2021, 01:42 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We use a Roadmaster Tow defender. It is basically a nylon screen similar to the product CHS and Mr Sunshine use. Doesn't keep all the dirt off but does a decent job.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #14
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
That's the one I use. It's a bit cheaper direct from the Protect A Tow website than it is on Amazon, even with shipping factored in.
I tend to navigate to Amazon since returning is much easier if any problems arrise. Sometimes vendors can be a pain to return. Return shipping cost can be crazy high.
Of course cost is taken into consideration also.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #15

Model: 4000
State: South Carolina
THOR #25123
We have an Aria with the original mudflap and tow a Jeep Gladiator High Altitude with painted bumpers. We bought a blue ox Car Caddy, it's a vertical wall that mounts to the tow bar. I have absolutely no rock scrates and towed around 5k miles. I have noticed when it rains, the jeep us somewhat dirty, but I gave never had any debris on the windshield around wiper blades to worry about scratching. I also use graphene on my vehicles, which like others gave said, keep it waxed anything will come off very easily
Old 10-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
We have an Aria with the original mudflap and tow a Jeep Gladiator High Altitude with painted bumpers. We bought a blue ox Car Caddy, it's a vertical wall that mounts to the tow bar. I have absolutely no rock scrates and towed around 5k miles. I have noticed when it rains, the jeep us somewhat dirty, but I gave never had any debris on the windshield around wiper blades to worry about scratching. I also use graphene on my vehicles, which like others gave said, keep it waxed anything will come off very easily
Just heard of and bought the 303 Graphene. How do you like it. Have not had a chance to use it yet.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1634559398
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash_me_large.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	34371  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:41 AM   #18

Model: 4000
State: South Carolina
THOR #25123
I love it, use it on all of our cars, they have a “just detailed” look every time they are washed. I did our Aria , which is black, in the storage building, looked great inside and pulled it out and there were a few smears, but just a quick wipe down and it was good . It applies and removes a lot easier than traditional waxes
Old 10-20-2021, 03:49 AM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Why did I ever read this thread, now I will never buy a Toad.

I know of at least one RV park in Arkansas that charges you $10 to allow you to wash your own RV at the park (Even if you use your own water from fresh water tank)

Note / Disclaimer: When I retire or get the opportunity to make those long drives that most toad owner do; I will see things differently.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #20

State: Oklahoma
THOR #21958
I added mud flaps, huge difference.