Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2022, 01:25 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #26214
Prewired

Hey all,
I've done some research, no luck so far, so thought I'd throw this out there. Would anyone know if a 2016 Tuscany 45AT would be pre-wired to accept an electric trailer brake controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 03-15-2022, 02:32 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If it is like mine the 7 wire receptacle at the hitch has all the wires and there is a brake wire under the dash

I use air control or a surge brake dolly so i already had all I needed at the hitch

Do an internet search and you will find someone that has installed a controller
Old 03-15-2022, 02:52 AM   #3

THOR #26214
Yes I have a 7 way in the rear, and was hoping to find a labeled wire under the dash. Excellent thank you!
Old 03-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Look for a pigtail (probably won’t be labeled) near the steering column.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
The under dash connector is a 6 pin connector with two rows of 3 pins. Not all pins are used.

David
Old 03-16-2022, 07:32 AM   #6

THOR #26214
Thanks Dave
Old 03-16-2022, 06:43 PM   #7

THOR #26214
Update

Ok so...I took a look under the dash last night, no pigtail, no 6 wire connection with 3 available. Did some more interwebs snooping and found a video where a guy plugs this contraption directly into the ECM through the data port. Looked sketchy but ok. Option "B" appears to be another little $400 device that bolts directly onto the trailer and after a 1 time program operates your electric brakes from there. Came with a keyfob that allows you to make adjustments while you roll. 😉 idk fellas, what do y'all think?
Old 03-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
Ok so...I took a look under the dash last night, no pigtail, no 6 wire connection with 3 available. Did some more interwebs snooping and found a video where a guy plugs this contraption directly into the ECM through the data port. Looked sketchy but ok. Option "B" appears to be another little $400 device that bolts directly onto the trailer and after a 1 time program operates your electric brakes from there. Came with a keyfob that allows you to make adjustments while you roll. 😉 idk fellas, what do y'all think?

Mine had a blue wire coiled and taped off to the left of the steering column. I never did test it to see if it was hot. Thought it was for a brake controller.

I didn't see any type of open plugs at all. Were the same year so a bit different. I have seen the remote controllers but have no experience with them.

Your planning on 4 down towed?
Old 03-18-2022, 12:25 AM   #9

THOR #26214
There was one wire with a tag on it, but I couldn't read it. I'll go back and look for a blue wire. No,I just bought an 18 ft auto hauler, so I'm planning to trailer. I rigged it up for long haul, 10 ply tires, tire straps for the truck. Probably can get by without trailer brakes, but I like added safety.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:43 AM   #10

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
its in there
its tucked way up and might be taped to another
mine was very well hidden
Old 03-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #11

Model: 45MJ
State: Indiana
THOR #17712
Quote:
Hey all,
I've done some research, no luck so far, so thought I'd throw this out there. Would anyone know if a 2016 Tuscany 45AT would be pre-wired to accept an electric trailer brake controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I called Thor and Freightliner and looks for days with no luck. When I say looked I mean looked. I took the panel apart because one call to freightliner thought it might be behind the panel. I cut zip ties to make it easier to find the connector but no luck. It wasn’t anywhere near the steering column. At a rally a Freightliner chassis was there, similar to mine, but neither the Freightliner tech nor myself could find anything. Finally gave up.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones47172 View Post
I called Thor and Freightliner and looks for days with no luck. When I say looked I mean looked. I took the panel apart because one call to freightliner thought it might be behind the panel. I cut zip ties to make it easier to find the connector but no luck. It wasn’t anywhere near the steering column. At a rally a Freightliner chassis was there, similar to mine, but neither the Freightliner tech nor myself could find anything. Finally gave up.
Aggravating for you, interesting as well, apparently they didn't run it for what ever reason.

Curious is the blue/brake wire present at the Female on the hitch? If so it comes from somewhere
Old 03-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
there is a BIG loom heavily taped up just to the left of the steering wheel, it also hides the manual regen switch ...yup i know right

i find it odd that its not included. its actually a small connector about the size of a quarter.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #14

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
If it came from factory with a hitch mounted, there should already be a plug mounted to the left of the hitch??? If not look up above the hitch and see if there’s a bundle of wire zip tied somewhere?? It’s will have a tag on it stating which wires are which….