Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #25688
Pricing a TOAD-configured Wrangler

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I'm comfortable assessing the value of this make/model in an unmodified state(but I'm happy to hear suggestions on how to find a fair price). This particular vehicle I'm considering is set up as a TOAD, with a Blue Ox Base Plate & Tow Bar, Brake Buddy, and necessary wiring. I've seen what those components cost new($2000ish), but I'm not sure what their value is used. Can anyone point me towards resources for determining the value of those parts in used condition?

Old 01-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodZone View Post
I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I'm comfortable assessing the value of this make/model in an unmodified state(but I'm happy to hear suggestions on how to find a fair price). This particular vehicle I'm considering is set up as a TOAD, with a Blue Ox Base Plate & Tow Bar, Brake Buddy, and necessary wiring. I've seen what those components cost new($2000ish), but I'm not sure what their value is used. Can anyone point me towards resources for determining the value of those parts in used condition?
I think you will find the retail prices for the items you list are in the $4,200 range.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:57 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you've not owned a wrangler before, a long test drive is advised.
A dear friend absolutely stole one from a mutual dear friend who, like all of our small clan dumped it to a friend rather than trade-in or Craigslist.
He hates it. The guy he bought it from hated it. Some do, some don't.

Long test drive or prior knowledge required.

A national Craigslist search will give you a good idea of 125% of value on those parts.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:52 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I'll give you some real world numbers...

I have a 2001 Wrangler TJ sport, which I purchased in 2004 for about $9,200. It currently has 63k miles on the odo.

Last summer I self-installed a Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox tow bar, Invisibrake, etc. for flat towing. Total retail for all new parts was around $1,800... but I purchased the towbar (new in box) for only $300.

So in parts today you'd likely have close to $2,500 ??? I'd estimate a fair install out the door like mine would cost you $4,000 - $4,500 if you hire someone.

I have fortunately kept mine (garaged) in fairly pristine stock condition. If you do consider buying one, look VERY CLOSELY at the frame rails. They are prone to extreme ROT... rust is your enemy. If you can find one with a clean frame and body with acceptable miles... you're lucky. I have been offered over $10,000 for mine, but it's worth more to me as a toad. How many toads are worth more than you paid for them?? I hate that!

Yes... many people hate the older Wranglers. They are NOT freeway cruisers. They ride ROUGH... they're noisy. They are NOT fast... lacking in quick acceleration. It gets poor gas mileage. However, even with the soft top, the heater will roast you and the A/C works extremely well.

It is a UTILITY vehicle. It will take you where you wouldn't dare take other toads. Mine is a 5 speed manual... probably the simplest toad to hitch and go. We camp in off the beaten path areas, and love having a small capable excursion vehicle for going literally anywhere... rutted dirt roads, thru creeks, etc. I call it my "poor man's convertible".

So there's some numbers to crunch. Shop wisely and carefully. Decent RELIABLE TJs are few. They CAN be found, but newer ones, while pricey, may be a safer bet.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I set up my 2004 Wrangler Unlimited with a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar and a Stay in Play brake system. I also used a Hopkins light conversion kit and a toad battery charger. Did the installations myself and spent about $3000. It’s pretty easy on the Jeep. I liked the Wrangler but DW hated it. Sold it to a guy that wanted it SO bad. Now I tow a Spark and, silly little thing that it is, it’s still a much better choice for us.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I set up my 2004 Wrangler Unlimited with a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar and a Stay in Play brake system. I also used a Hopkins light conversion kit and a toad battery charger. Did the installations myself and spent about $3000. It’s pretty easy on the Jeep. I liked the Wrangler but DW hated it. Sold it to a guy that wanted it SO bad. Now I tow a Spark and, silly little thing that it is, it’s still a much better choice for us.
Do you flat tow the Spark? I considered that as opposed to towing a trailer. Didn’t know Spark was flat towable.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Do you flat tow the Spark? I considered that as opposed to towing a trailer. Didn’t know Spark was flat towable.
You have to get one with a manual transmission.

My dream would be a wrangler, but reality might get me a Spark.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Sparks and Sonics are great toads. And you can tow an automatic Sonic.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

THOR #6826
Quote:

A Spark with a manual transmission is super easy to flat tow. Just hitch it up, put it in neutral and disconnect the battery. I put an electric disconnect on mine so it’s just a matter of pushing a button. It’s a tiny car but it is surprisingly comfortable for two and with the back seat folded it’s a fine grocery getter and errand runner. Mine is averaging 41 mpg in mostly city driving. My Jeep had only two airbags while the Spark has 10. I’d prefer not to have an accident in it (of course!) but that HAS to help if I do.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Jeep my thoughts

I used to have a 2012 Wrangler as my toad. When I sold my previous-previous motorhome I sold the Wrangler. Wranglers have a cult like following and for an odd reason teenage girls seem to have fallen in love with it. My GF has G-kids is how I know that. As Chateau said, jeep road manners are crude and while I liked the jeep as a toad, didn't like it on the road. As a toad it was good and especially easy to hook up to tow and gave us the ability to go places that a regular car couldn't. On the road it was rough, squirrelly, loud with tremendous wind buffeting. Even before the covid used vehicle pricing factor, jeeps were overpriced and especially today. We never took the jeep to places that were really challenging just back in " them thar woods" a bit.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Seems the question on toads and in particular Jeep Wranglers comes up every few months. They are easy to set up to tow, are one of the most capable 4x4 drive vehicles out there and there are a bunch of them out there following motorhomes down the road. They also ride like crap and are way overpriced new and used.
If serious off roading is your thing then by all means, go for the Wrangler they are hard to beat in the back country. But if a decent ride and some moderate off-road capability is what you are after there are many SUV's out there to choose from. In our case we tow a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It has enough off-road capability to handle any of the Forest Service roads we are wanting to travel down and has a decent ride on the highway.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The question is not about the Jeep. It is a question regarding the value of the installed towing equipment on the Jeep.

Would be nice if folks stayed on topic and kept their options on vehicles to themselves unless asked.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #13

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thuu is s question is not about the Jeep. It is a question regarding the value of the installed towing equipment on the Jeep.

Would be nice if folks stayed on topic and kept their options on vehicles to themselves unless asked.
Those telling of their retail purchased installs are the posters off topic.

I gave him an exact and precise answer about how to price used equipment of ANY sort. After checking Craigslist nationally, what would anyone say different about pricing the used equipment?

So, we're now telling of the foibles of jeep purchase. Pricing has been addressed as well as it need be.The jeep that is attached to that used equipment is an integral, and not ignorable, part of the possible transaction.

We are on jeeps because they're a love hate thing and might need a bit of real-life-applied due to the
Jeep cult.
No one doubts the jeep cult exists anymore than they could doubt the Harley cult exists.

It's about protecting the uninitiated.
If he's had a jeep, he can make the decision to proceed with the ecstasy or travesty, his choice.
If he hasn't had a Jeep we'll tell the truth without the hype.

It's not opinion. Its real world experience.
Opinion is: I like blue jeeps. Buy only blue jeeps.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
T
If he hasn't had a Jeep we'll tell the truth without the hype.

It's not opinion. Its real world experience.
Opinion is: I like blue jeeps. Buy only blue jeeps.
Yeah well I like red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	886CAD47-29E3-42B7-AC02-7A2942562D41.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	35657  
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:23 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Jeep story:
I almost bought a Jeep instead of the tbird this summer.

Last year
Museum owned Kaiser Jeepster Commando convertible(two types are convertible, but THE convertible is a bit different) sells fot $12,000, they've been running 6 to 8k as drivers.

I'm thinking
'Fun enough' I'll buy one.

This year they're pushing $30,000+
A total sled with aluminum spray painted bumpers and all the stainless trim held on with drywall screws drilled right through ALL the trim, went for $14,000. That's with an odd hole cut in the hood that was covered by a $2 convex mirror. A high school junior with $50 type restoration.

I've had two of the little 1st gen Broncos and a scout.
Those guys paying big money for those tyrds are just nuts.

I have not looked but have to imagine plainjane wranglers must be equally dollar nuts right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4d53dfe34f6b14c8110128bfd0296671.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	35658  

Old 01-17-2022, 05:27 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thuu is s question is not about the Jeep. It is a question regarding the value of the installed towing equipment on the Jeep.

Straight to the point... with a dose of sweet bedside manner on the side.

Since the OP did mention a Jeep (just so I don't stray off topic)... the Wrangler "cult" is really no different than people who buy Corvettes, T-Birds, military issue Hummers etc. That's just another flavor of basically an impractical motor vehicle. I think it's the OP's decision whether that level of "impracticality" falls within their sphere of acceptance.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #17

THOR #13932
o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Straight to the point... with a dose of sweet bedside manner on the side.

Since the OP did mention a Jeep (just so I don't stray off topic)... the Wrangler "cult" is really no different than people who buy Corvettes, T-Birds, military issue Hummers etc. That's just another flavor of basically an impractical motor vehicle. I think it's the OP's decision whether that level of "impracticality" falls within their sphere of acceptance.
think it's the OP's decision whether that level of "impracticality" falls within their sphere of acceptance.

You are 100% correct.
No one has said differently.
But
They have said based on prior ownership, that the honeydripping jeep buyers might hear, might just need a look for themselves at potential non-honeydripping issues cultists don't oft mention.

Rust, rough ride, ill manners have alll been told of, based on prior ownerships. Practical use, finesse, almost perfectly towability was mentioned sometimes in the same sentence.
Can you say they don't exist and that the op is being lead astray instead of being looked out for?

'Long test drive or prior knowledge required.'
Is what I typed.
Just the same as I would for an rv or Lancia Stratos or a tractor.

Others with more jeep experience have typed just about the same but with a few caveats to eyeball.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #18

THOR #16721
If you DO decide a Wrangler is of interest... AND you find one with a stock 4.0 liter straight 6 that hasn't been extremely modded for off-road... AND the body is in respectable condition... do two VERY IMPORTANT things:

You MUST crawl under it... using a small ball peen hammer, tap all along both frame rails - listen for dead (non-ringing) spots which indicate likely rusted through and UN-SAFE frame members. Sneaky sellers of junk often hide rust with undercoat an spray paint. Don't be fooled.

The 4.0 liter 6 is bullet proof... will last 200k+ miles. Look for leaking seals everywhere... differential, oil pan, etc. If they've been recently wiped clean, be wary.

It's underneath an older Wrangler that will bite the unsuspecting buyer.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #19
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
IMO, TOAD mods don't change the value of the used vehicle. If the seller wants to sell you the base and bar separately, then you can try to put a value on them.

But if you are trying to ballpark how much it would cost to TOAD mod another wrangler, I'd also say $2k is the right range for good adjustable bars after it is all said and done. That's how much I got into my 03 TJ a few years ago.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #20

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post
IMO, TOAD mods don't change the value of the used vehicle. If the seller wants to sell you the base and bar separately, then you can try to put a value on them.

But if you are trying to ballpark how much it would cost to TOAD mod another wrangler, I'd also say $2k is the right range for good adjustable bars after it is all said and done. That's how much I got into my 03 TJ a few years ago.

Although you might be able to sell a nice towed - all set up and ready to go - on an RV site. Small but focused market.