Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Ready to begin towing!

Okay, PLEASE don't rant on me to search about this, I have searched and read a ton of the posts but have a few specific questions not answered.

I was thinking of buying something similar to a Ford Fusion, etc. to flat tow (around 3,500 lbs.) but I have a 2014 F150 4X4 supercab that I rarely drive anymore which would be great for towing. I'm just concerned about the weight of the truck, around 5,000+ lbs. and the performance of the V10 in the MH. I have a 2018 Challenger 37YT which weighs 24,000 lbs. I'm not concerned about gas mileage but would like to see what someone is getting towing similar weight. I'd also like to know how the MH handles the steeper grades, both up and down, as we're planning a lot of west ward travel this summer. I'm also considering the truck because I could carry additional cargo in the bed such as a mobility scooter for my wife which weighs about 250 lbs. (the scooter, not the wife!) or an electric golf cart weighing about 550 lbs. I've ordered an RVI3 brake controller and adding the TPS system with it. I'm going to go with the Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate, just waiting until after I settle on what I'm going to tow. I'm going to weigh the truck and MH separately beforehand to get more exact weights loaded as they are right now.

Just seeking advice, experiences, etc. with the above mentioned details. MPG, performance, any issues or problems towing with truck loaded, etc. Thanks and stay safe!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
1) weigh* the coach, FULLY loaded as when you would be traveling, with fuel, water, stuff, people, everything - including the tow bar. This number should be less than the GVWR(24,000) your coach's chassis is built for.

2) weigh* the vehicle you are going to be towing, WITH the including scooter or vehicle and stuff and fuel, etc.

*if you don't physically WEIGH these units, you'll never really know the answer to your questions, you'll just be guessing : /

3) subtract the weight of the Fully loaded coach from your labeled GVCWR(30,000)... this is the amount you have 'left over' to TOW, under the specs of the coach's chassis capacity.

4) if your fully loaded TOAD is within this number, and not heavier than the hitch itself is rated for(8,000), then you're fine.

caution: if you're considering a lot of 'mountain' driving, the more weight you are towing will impact your capabilities... not that it's undoable, but creeping up the mountains as everyone else passes you might be unnerving for some. Of course, you could always unhook the toad and have someone drive it, worst case scenario. Gas coaches are known for their 'screaming' engines in these situations, which some folks can't handle. Diesels have a lot more bottom end 'torque' for climbing, and the engine is in the rear, of course.

travel, enjoy ! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

THOR #10421
Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
1)

caution: if you're considering a lot of 'mountain' driving, the more weight you are towing will impact your capabilities... not that it's undoable, but creeping up the mountains as everyone else passes you might be unnerving for some. Of course, you could always unhook the toad and have someone drive it, worst case scenario. Gas coaches are known for their 'screaming' engines in these situations, which some folks can't handle. Diesels have a lot more bottom end 'torque' for climbing, and the engine is in the rear, of course.

Yep, getting everything weighed is paramount because I don't want to be doing any "guessing".

I forgot to mention in the original post, I physically checked the hitch when I bought the MH and the hitch is rated for 8,000 lbs. and the MH towing capacity is 8,000 lbs. according to the specs.

My biggest concern is the towed weight of the truck slowing the MH down terribly on steep grades. I'm okay with crawling up if that's what it takes but I'm hoping the V10 will handle it okay. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Yep, getting everything weighed is paramount because I don't want to be doing any "guessing".

I forgot to mention in the original post, I physically checked the hitch when I bought the MH and the hitch is rated for 8,000 lbs. and the MH towing capacity is 8,000 lbs. according to the specs.

My biggest concern is the towed weight of the truck slowing the MH down terribly on steep grades. I'm okay with crawling up if that's what it takes but I'm hoping the V10 will handle it okay. Thanks for the reply!
About that "screaming" engine: The V-10 is designed for that. It has a high redline (somewhere around 5800 rpm) and is happy as a clam at high RPM's all day long (your ears may not like it, however LOL).

As TurnerFam said: Weigh your rig. Your hitch may be rated at 8000lbs but the coach weights may not allow you to pull the full 8000lbs (remember its the weakest link in the chain...not the strongest).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:20 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We are in the process of doing this exact samething with a Ram 1500. I will be watching the responses from the folks who have done this.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

Model: 34J
State: Maryland
THOR #10894
I'm hoping my Canyon isn't too much for my Hurrican 34j to handle. After doing some research it looks like it will be a little more than half that 8k.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #7

THOR #10421
Got 'em all weighed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
1) weigh* the coach, FULLY loaded as when you would be traveling, with fuel, water, stuff, people, everything - including the tow bar. This number should be less than the GVWR(24,000) your coach's chassis is built for.

2) weigh* the vehicle you are going to be towing, WITH the including scooter or vehicle and stuff and fuel, etc.

*if you don't physically WEIGH these units, you'll never really know the answer to your questions, you'll just be guessing : /

3) subtract the weight of the Fully loaded coach from your labeled GVCWR(30,000)... this is the amount you have 'left over' to TOW, under the specs of the coach's chassis capacity.

4) if your fully loaded TOAD is within this number, and not heavier than the hitch itself is rated for(8,000), then you're fine.

Ok, as follow up, I weighed both the MH and truck fully loaded with fuel and the MH with everything we currently travel with. The MH came in at a surprisingly low 22,800 lbs. while the truck came in at a whopping 6,050 Lbs.! I was shocked the truck weighed that much as I was really figuring around 5,800 and that was being very liberal. I know 250 lbs. doesn't seem like much but every pound adds up, as you all know. I was also surprised the MH came in below the 24,000 lb. GVWR as I figured, since it was loaded with all the clothes, chairs, BBQ grill, tools, etc. it would be well above the GVWR. So all told, I do have wiggle room to tow the truck with about 1,000 lbs. to play with. But, as is usually the case, things have changed a bit and I've decided to go with a different tow vehicle, looking at and probably getting a new Ford Focus. I'm going to add a baseplate to the truck in case we want to take it along sometimes but our primary toad will be the car. I like the room in the hatchback which will allow some cargo carrying capability but I really like the weight difference from the truck. That 6,000+ lb. weight just scared me, I don't want to be at the upper limits while thousands of miles out in the middle of nowhere! The Focus is almost half the weight of the truck and I know will be a better option in the long haul....pun intended!
Thanks for all the input and I'll finalize this when we get the final vehicle. If anyone has any input regarding the Focus as far as towing, please chime in. I've done a ton of reading/research on them and I've already SPECIFICALLY asked the selling dealer, and I plan to get it in writing as well as recorded, that you can flat tow these things with no issues. I know what the owners manuals say but I've read a few threads where owners had trannies go bad, explode, etc. even though Ford states they can be flat towed, then Ford doesn't want to cover them under warranty without threatening a lawsuit or major haggling.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
My just sold 2015 Thor Hurricane 34E has the V10 and I towed a
4000 lb. 2011 Dodge Dakota behind it just fine.

You should be fine towing something that weights 5000 lb. behind
your MH your MH is heavier and a bit longer but you should be fine.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Model: 34J
State: Maryland
THOR #10894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Ok, as follow up, I weighed both the MH and truck fully loaded with fuel and the MH with everything we currently travel with. The MH came in at a surprisingly low 22,800 lbs. while the truck came in at a whopping 6,050 Lbs.! I was shocked the truck weighed that much as I was really figuring around 5,800 and that was being very liberal. I know 250 lbs. doesn't seem like much but every pound adds up, as you all know. I was also surprised the MH came in below the 24,000 lb. GVWR as I figured, since it was loaded with all the clothes, chairs, BBQ grill, tools, etc. it would be well above the GVWR. So all told, I do have wiggle room to tow the truck with about 1,000 lbs. to play with. But, as is usually the case, things have changed a bit and I've decided to go with a different tow vehicle, looking at and probably getting a new Ford Focus. I'm going to add a baseplate to the truck in case we want to take it along sometimes but our primary toad will be the car. I like the room in the hatchback which will allow some cargo carrying capability but I really like the weight difference from the truck. That 6,000+ lb. weight just scared me, I don't want to be at the upper limits while thousands of miles out in the middle of nowhere! The Focus is almost half the weight of the truck and I know will be a better option in the long haul....pun intended!
Thanks for all the input and I'll finalize this when we get the final vehicle. If anyone has any input regarding the Focus as far as towing, please chime in. I've done a ton of reading/research on them and I've already SPECIFICALLY asked the selling dealer, and I plan to get it in writing as well as recorded, that you can flat tow these things with no issues. I know what the owners manuals say but I've read a few threads where owners had trannies go bad, explode, etc. even though Ford states they can be flat towed, then Ford doesn't want to cover them under warranty without threatening a lawsuit or major haggling.
I've been looking at a similar setup. Most times I'd be towing my single railed motorcycle trailer with my victory vision. I have just set up my GMC Canyon to tow behind my Hurricane 34j. It weighs around 4500 (approx) and I was considering loading my vision on the truck and taking them both. I need to weigh everything so I will know. I guess I wont know what she'll do until I do weigh it and do it.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #10

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
Can you tell me where the GVCWR info. is posted in my coach?

It is not listed on the labels anywhere I looked.

Thank you.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I will be flat towing a GMC Sierra crew cab which weighs about 5300lbs but only on short trips. Long trips renting a car locally. Bottomline for me is towing a vehicle is a hassle. Affects performance, speed (up/down hills) and maneuverability. Getting fuel while flat towing can be a pain in the butt as so many fuel stations are not RV friendly.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote