Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Ready Brake System Help

Getting ready to buy everything to tow our new Jeep Wrangler. The plan was to get either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow bar and base plate and the Blue Ox Patriot brake system. Then I spoke to Dave, Sundance, and he got me all screwed up. Just kidding Dave. Dave suggested an SMI system.

I called a local repair shop that was listed on SMI's website. The shop guy recommended the Ready Brake system. His reasons were ease of use/hook up, price and no air hook ups or mechanical connects that could get messed up.

It works on the surge brake system.

So does anyone have this system. Pros/cons.

Thanks Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:53 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Exclamation

I've been using the ready brake elite for almost two years now. I installed it myself and love it. I tow a 2007 Rubicon. Initial setup and install is pretty simple. I have an aftermarket front bumper with a winch and hookup the tow bar to the shackle points which are bolted directly to the frame through the bumper. If you have the OEM bumper you will need to install an aftermarket baseplate.

I've had two issues. The damper cylinder was leaking fluid and NSA replaced the cylinder free of charge. Easy fix.

The second was my own fault and involved carpet getting pulled into the cable sheath and not releasing the brake once the cable got pulled tight when braking the RV. I had been 4 wheeling somehow the carpet threads tangled around cable and got pulled into the cable sheath. Like I said my own fault. If you have a professional install this won't happen.

It does cost more than a typical towbar but it is all you need. There is nothing to put on the driver's floorboards, no tapping into the jeep's brake system or the RVs air system.

I also installed a cooltech wiring harness. This allows me to use the jeep's brake lights and turn signals. It is designed to work with the existing electrical system. You do have to disconnect the battery when towing, power will come from the RV.

Hook up and disconnect are simple and straight forward and it takes less than 5 minutes to do both. Works well and I have had no problems towing or stopping.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

THOR #3156
Thanks for the info Greg. I would plan on doing the install myself, very non professional. Is there something I should do special to prevent the carpet situation like you had.

I do hate to cut the brand new carpet, but I know it will have to be done.

Also did you do the install your self or did you have someone there to help you. I watch an install video and it looked like four hand would be better than two.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thanks for the info Greg. I would plan on doing the install myself, very non professional. Is there something I should do special to prevent the carpet situation like you had.

I do hate to cut the brand new carpet, but I know it will have to be done.

Also did you do the install your self or did you have someone there to help you. I watch an install video and it looked like four hand would be better than two.

Jerry
Jerry,

I did most of the install myself...I grabbed my son when I needed an extra pair of hands. With regards to the carpet and after the issue I had, I used dark duct tape to line the edges where I cut the carpet. This takes care of any errant carpet strands that may get pulled sheath. Trim off any strands that are still poking out from under the tape. I also used double sided carpet tape around the carpet hole to ensure the carpet would not move and become misaligned with firewall hole. Not much of an issue with the breakaway cable as there is no sheath on that cable. Where the cable goes through the firewall and carpet is fairly high. I doubt you will even notice it once you complete the install.

I also did a mod on the brake pedal that lets me remove the cable and tuck it under the carpet when I'm not towing the Rubicon. It's out on the web somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

As I mentioned above I used the Cooltech JK harness. JK Tow Harness Deluxe Kit - CoolTechLLC I ran it inside the frame, somewhat of a pain, but not too bad. I used a coat hanger to help pull it though the frame. I wanted it inside the frame to help protect the wiring.

A couple of final points. First: Make the final adjustments to the cable with the towbar locked out and check everything after you tow it a couple of miles.

Second: Develop a checklist and use it religiously every time you hook up. My wife calls out the checklist and I physically check everything on the list. We'd rather be safe than sorry and it only takes a minute to run through the list.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

THOR #3156
Greg
Great info thanks. How much play in the cable do you have and does your cable have a rubber/plastic coating on it. I know the instructions say 2" but some seem to do a little more

On irv2 site there is a thread about the coating causing problems by sliding out of the crimps

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #6

THOR #3156
One more thing. Does the connection loop at the bumped have enough play in it to hide it when not connected to the mh. Or does it sit there in sight. Im afraid if its visable someone will mess with it while parked somewhere
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #7

THOR #1497
Quote:
Greg
Great info thanks. How much play in the cable do you have and does your cable have a rubber/plastic coating on it. I know the instructions say 2" but some seem to do a little more

On irv2 site there is a thread about the coating causing problems by sliding out of the crimps

Jerry

Jerry - your asking about the short piece of cable that connects the brake cable to the Ready Brake...correct? I'm guessing mine is in the 2-3 inch range. You'll have to adjust yours to your comfort level. If you are in a sharp turn and the cable is too tight your brakes will engage. I have had no issues with the cable slipping because of the plastic covering. I think if you tighten the u-bolts down enough it won't be an issue.

Another mod I'm looking at is running an additional LED brake light off the third brake light. I'll probably install it with plugs so that I can remove it. I'd put the brake light on visor so I could see when the brakes are engaging on the jeep. Note: You cannot plug lights into a JK tow harness with the cooltech harness installed. Well, you can but the lights won't work correctly. Ask me how I know. Luckily, that was only a few minutes and dollars involved.

Quote:
One more thing. Does the connection loop at the bumped have enough play in it to hide it when not connected to the mh. Or does it sit there in sight. Im afraid if its visable someone will mess with it while parked somewhere
Good question, I had the same concern. As I mentioned earlier I have an aftermarket bumper with a winch. I installed the brake cable about 1 inch under the winch fairlead and have about two extra inches poking out of the bumper. I have to have a front license plate for my home state. I have a removable plate that attaches to the winch fairlead and hides my loop when installed. I remove the front plate when towing and have access to the loop. I don't recall how the OEM front bumpers are setup, but you might be able to fashion a removable plate to hide the loop when not in use. So far no one has run off with my plate of messed with the loop.

For the emergency breakaway cable, I just tuck it under my bumper and loop it around something to keep it from flopping around.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I installed it on my YJ about 6 years ago and on my Honda CRV 2 years ago. We've towed the Honda about 10,000 miles with no problems, none with the YJ either. Often I tow it down the backside, BBL to Lucerne Valley, up to 16% grades and hairpins with not a single problem.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Installed the readybrake on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, worked great. Sold the Jeep and will be re-installing on a Saturn Aura. The install was pretty easy. I recently installed a car lift in my garage so expect the re-install on my Saturn to be even easier. What I like most about the readybrake is that it's completely mechanical, no electronics to fail. I have a BlueOx Apollo braking system and I hate it. Pain in the butt to setup. Last time I used it, the fuse for the 12V power point blew which shut down the dingy braking.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #10

THOR #3156
Thanks everyone. I really like the idea of the brake system. I be doing a little more research but I believe this is the set up I'll be going with.

Guess I should start watching a few more youtube videos on the install and setting up a helping hand.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #11

THOR #3156
Just watched a couple of videos and realized there will be two loops at the bumper I'll need to hide. The brake and the brake away.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

THOR #1497
Quote:
Just watched a couple of videos and realized there will be two loops at the bumper I'll need to hide. The brake and the brake away.

Jerry
Jerry, I ran the breakaway down the left side frame and attached the one-way on the outside of frame in the wheel well - can see it when looking at the drivers side wheel.

I just looped the breakaway cable under the driver's side of the bumper when I need it. When not in use I just tuck it back up under the frame and bumper...you might want to look at doing this. It keeps from having to put a second hole in the bumper.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

THOR #3156
Thanks for all the info. I may hit you up with more questions before the install.

I ordered everything and should get it all next week. Since my wife drives the Jeep this will be a weekend install maybe two weekends.

I'll first do the base plate, then brake and lastly the break away.

I did some unreliable measurements and I think I'll need a 6" drop hitch. I'll buy it after the base plate is installed so I have the proper measurements.

Thanks again

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I just finished the install of ready brake on my Saturn Aura. Having a car lift in my garage made the job much easier than the last time I installed it on a jeep without a lift. A great back saver and less reliance on having some contortionist skills. Make sure you double check the size you need for the cable housing before you cut it. Also using a dremel with a cutting disc made a nice clean cut. I also cut a small piece off the cable before sliding it into the cable housing and it went thru very smoothly with no hang up.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #15

THOR #3156
Getting ready to do the install of the brake cable and brake away cable.

I got the Roadmaster base plate installed. I decided on using the Hopkins light system and also got that installed.

So only thing left is the brake cables. I've looked under the Jeep for possible routes. Haven't opened the hood to look down in the engine compartment yet.
From underneath there looks like lots of stuff in the way.

Greg if you read this is can you possibly post some pics of the conduit and the path you routed it. Also some pics of the break away

Appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #16

THOR #1497
Hey Jerry,

It sounds like you're making progress.

With regard to the brake cable I came through firewall ran it on the top of the driver's side frame rail, over the heat shield, over the steering box, under the window shield washer fluid, and over the sway bar. I attached it to the vertical face of the cross-member behind the bumper. This was the only place I secured the cable sheath to the jeep, I really couldn't find any other "make sense" places.

I don't know if you can tell from the pictures or not.

For the emergency break away I just ran the cable along the top of the frame and dropped it so it went into the one-way box. For the loose end of the breakaway cable I just set it behind the front bumper when not in use and drape it under the drivers side of the front bumper when it is hooked up.

And as I was looking at the I realized I wanted to put some sealant on the firewall where the breakaway comes though. Thanks! Forgot to do that at the time.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	3087   Click image for larger version

Name:	connect 1.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3088  

Click image for larger version

Name:	connect.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	3089   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	3090  

Old 10-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #17

THOR #3156
Thanks Greg.

I think I have more stuff next to the fire wall than you do. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll get it installed. Waiting for this heat to go away.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #18

THOR #3156
Greg
I openned the hood today and from the top i can see there is lots of room there. I dont see much of a problem on the install

One thing i saw is it looks like the area i need to drill the hole at appears to be dual wall. 1 to 2 inch higher is single wall

Ill drill where needed and hopefully the dual wall area isnt to thick and i can still place it there
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #19

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
Another mod I'm looking at is running an additional LED brake light off the third brake light. I'll probably install it with plugs so that I can remove it. I'd put the brake light on visor so I could see when the brakes are engaging on the jeep. Note: You cannot plug lights into a JK tow harness with the cooltech harness installed. Well, you can but the lights won't work correctly. Ask me how I know. Luckily, that was only a few minutes and dollars involved.

Greg,
Have you thought about this mod any further. I'd like to do the same thing
Almost bought a bunch of stuff on Amazon to do it but then realized it wont work how I was planning it

The third brake lights wires run to the right tail/brake light. On my Jeep its a black wire (at least I thing it is) and a white with purple stripe I'm trying to figure out a way to tap into the wires and then run them to an led light

I'll probably take the third brake light apart this weekend. I have to remove the spare tire to get the light apart

If you have any thoughts please let me know

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #20

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I just added a light bulb to each twilight assembly, CRV, and ran the wires UP TO A REGULAT 4 prong trailer connection. Plug in and out, no diodes required. Installed a fused switch on the accessory fuse on the dash.

Plugin, turn accessory switch off, neutral and ignition turned to on then go!