Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #8948
How to haul a golf cart?

Does anyone have tips on the best way to haul a golf cart behind my ACE 29.3? I don’t tow a vehicle.

Thanks!
Christina

Old 11-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #2

Model: Ace 29.3
State: California
THOR #6522
I would suggest getting a enclosed or open trailer. If enclosed make sure the top of golf cart clears opening or is easily removed.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
An open trailer is going to be lighter and less resistant to cross winds. An enclosed trailer will keep it clean. If the golf cart has a removable top and all can be stored in an enclosed stubby (think 4x8 U-Haul) you'll have some reduced wind resistance and it'll keep it clean, dry and unchipped from road debris.

I saw a Class A going down I-75 the other day towing a Silverado with a golf cart in the bed of the truck. You could try that but I was just throwing in a little humor. I laughed when I saw it but it made complete sense.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #4

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
I bought a Harbor Freight 4X8 trailer kit to carry my Harley Davidson behind the MH. Put in a 3/4" thick plywood floor and built a set of 2 1/2' high wooden rails and a motorcycle chock to hold the front wheel. Works just fine but now we also have a Club Car golf cart and it will just fit but so close I cannot put the sides on. Too bad I had no idea we would need to haul a golf cart around when I got the 4X8 or I would have got one larger. Make sure you get a trailer large enough to have a little extra room around the golf cart especially an enclosed one. You need to have room to get in and out of the cart and around it to get it tied down. Jim.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #5

THOR #8948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEd View Post
An open trailer is going to be lighter and less resistant to cross winds. An enclosed trailer will keep it clean. If the golf cart has a removable top and all can be stored in an enclosed stubby (think 4x8 U-Haul) you'll have some reduced wind resistance and it'll keep it clean, dry and unchipped from road debris.

I saw a Class A going down I-75 the other day towing a Silverado with a golf cart in the bed of the truck. You could try that but I was just throwing in a little humor. I laughed when I saw it but it made complete sense.
Thanks! I have seen the golf cart in the truck bed truck too and it made me laugh. That’s genius!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

THOR #8948
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
I bought a Harbor Freight 4X8 trailer kit to carry my Harley Davidson behind the MH. Put in a 3/4" thick plywood floor and built a set of 2 1/2' high wooden rails and a motorcycle chock to hold the front wheel. Works just fine but now we also have a Club Car golf cart and it will just fit but so close I cannot put the sides on. Too bad I had no idea we would need to haul a golf cart around when I got the 4X8 or I would have got one larger. Make sure you get a trailer large enough to have a little extra room around the golf cart especially an enclosed one. You need to have room to get in and out of the cart and around it to get it tied down. Jim.
Thanks, Jim. I will take a look at Harbor Freight. Planning on hauling this for long trips, had not thought about an enclosed trailer but might be the best option.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

THOR #8948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
I would suggest getting a enclosed or open trailer. If enclosed make sure the top of golf cart clears opening or is easily removed.
thank you!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
THOR #1488
I looked at Harbor Freight again and it appears their largest trailer is the same 4X8 size as what I have. My minimum size by my figures will be 5X10, that should give me room to work with. In my area Blaine's Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply and Lowe's all carry an assortment of trailers. Jim.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
for the roof..... you can buy or make "hinge brackets" for the roof posts that enable lowering the roof for situations like this.

I looked into this when my father in law gave us his cart a few years back. Since it's not legal to drive the thing most places we go, and it would be expensive to get it DOT worthy , insured, & licensed.... and since even if I did that it would still only be usable a limited amount of time (in FL it's roads posted 35 mph or less, if i remember correctly).... I opted against it.
....I really need to sell the thing. I spent a small fortune on new Trojan batteries. Needs new tires and a bit of work, so it's sitting in the garage and is a chore for me trying to maintain the batteries
Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
A little expensive - but have you looked at mighty hauler? You can still haul your toad behind it.

FWIW
Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
An open 4x8 aluminum utility trailer, with torsion axles:

It'll be the lightest trailer that you'll find.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Most enclosed trailers, unless they are custom made, will not hold a golf cart due to height of roof. If your cart is stock height search YouTube videos for folding golf cart roof. There is one video showing how to modify the stock roof so it hinges down to fit in a trailer. There is also a video of a folding Bimini top that would work well, don’t remember the brand name. If your cart has a lift kit the only way you will get it in an enclosed trailer is with the Bimini top option, even a hinged top is still to tall, I know because I have a taller enclosed trailer.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: Ours is 74"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
golf cart, towing