Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
hmmmm....brain fart...I said toads...I meant dollies.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #22

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
if i am going to use a trailer to haul my Jeep trail hawk i might as well buy a fifth wheel and pull it with my dodge diesel. i use a patriot 2 brake control set up .had it for 2 Jeeps and when i trade it goes with me.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybiker View Post
Does anyone know the legal rules on having brakes on tow dolly?
It is a state thing like a driver's license. KY required the dolly be licensed; TX does not. Most insurance companies include dolly towing insurance but a significant number of insurance companies do not. As for brakes, any towed object pulled by licensed vehicle requires supplemental braking if it exceeds a certain weight usually 1,500 or 3,000 lbs. There are a few states that have higher or no limits. In your case the dolly is usually 500 lbs or so and the vehicle of 4,000 lbs puts you well over the 3,000 lbs That said, unless you are in a wreck and cited, no one will ever know you do not have dolly brakes. Do you really want 4,500 lbs pushing you down a 10% incline?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"if i am going to use a trailer to haul my Jeep trail hawk i might as well buy a fifth wheel and pull it with my dodge diesel."

What...haul two trailers with the Dodge?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #25

Model: ACE
State: North Carolina
THOR #4293
Tow Dolly

I tow a Tribute with a dolly that has surge brakes.
Really easy to load and unload. Brakes can be locked out if need to back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Two types of dolly brakes- electric and hydraulic surge. Surge is simpler, but the electric is more controllable. Three different designs of dollies - wheel steer, pivoting pan, and fixed pan. Wheel steer allows tighter turns with wider vehicles. Pivoting pan - simple and cheep but wide and heavy vehicles may not fit. Fixed pan - simplest and lightest. The Ford Edge is a heavy vehicle at just over 4,000 lbs so check to make sure that the dolly you want can safely tow that much weight.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Our toad

We bought a 18 Ford C-Max to tow behind our wind sport 2018 35m. Was told there one of the best toads. Light weight hybrid. I believe they discontinued the model but if u see one there great. Just ordered out tow bar system from e trailer . The brake is under the seat permanent.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #27

State: Washington
THOR #3888
Tired of dolly

After two seasons pulling a Prius on a tow dolly, I bought a Wrangler and went with a Roadmaster Sterling towbar setup and Invisibrake. I wanted quick, easy connection to the toad, and automatic braking without having to set something up each time. Now I can hook up and go in under five minutes, with no crawling around hooking up straps and safety chains. It's twice the cost of a dolly, but I intend to keep the Jeep for years and if we upgrade motorhomes, it's pretty simple to rig up the new home (there is a telltale light placed on the MH dash that shows when the toad's brakes are engaged).
Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
We recently purchased a 2017 JKU Wrangler with toading in mind.
After hours of research and comparisons of different systems, we went with the following.

1. Blue Ox baseplate from Etrailers. (lowest price, no tax, free shipping)https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...eid=2017956282
2. Wireharness from BlueOx. (plug-n-play)https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...=336&group_id=
3. Blue Ox BX7445 https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX744...lue+ox+tow+bar
4.BrakeBuddy Stealth. (Ease of Hookup for my wife, Progressive Braking for Jeep or Trailer)Stealth | Brake Buddy®

The wife loves the simplicity of use. One electrical connection to control brakes, battery charging, and break away. No fuse pulling! Hook up the tow bar, hook up the safety cables, and plug in the electrical connector.
Then put the Jeep Transfer case into neutral and you're ready to go.

Wired/Installed myself. There's nothing to see or do inside the Jeep now when we want to take it with us. Cheers
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #29

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
We tow a 2017 Equinox with a Blue Ox tow bar, had it wired so the vehicle brake lights, tail lights and turn signals work. We also have the Air Force One braking system installed. It takes about 5 minutes to hook everything up. Easy peasy! Hook up tow bar, safety cables, break line, emergency break-away and lights. We have a diesel coach with air breaks, so there is a air hose for the breaks. I believe gassers have the breaks hooked up with the light cable so it might be one less for you.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #30

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
We have never used a toad, but it may be time. We have a gas Class A (Thor ACE 30.1) (hydraulic brakes) and really don't want to have something sitting on the floor of the toad and clamped to the brake pedal. POSSIBLE toad is an old Subaru Legacy Outback, manual transmission. If you've got a great suggestion for some other toad, please share it.

I started out asking about brakes, but feel free to add your suggestions for tow bars and toad lights, as well. Across the board, we're looking for ease of use and reliability more than economy.

Thanks.
We have been using a MasterTow Dolly for a couple years now. It has its own brakes and it is easy to use. Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #3035
Ready Brute braking sys. does not have a box sitting on floor

I did not want to move a box in and out of my toad either as I have a bad back. I discovered the Ready Brute Surge Braking system where the brake pedal is connected to the braking system through a cable that runs under the engine. When the RV slows the brakes are applied automatically. As a matter of fact, I have mine for sale installed on a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I just completed a three month cross country trip and it worked great. Call or text me if interested in the package 252-202-1440
Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #32

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Toad tow bar and braking

I just purchased a 2019 Chevy Spark to use as a toad behind our 2017 ACE 30.3 MH. After researching all the different tow bar and braking systems, I decided to go with the Ready Brake Brute tow bar and surge brake system. My decision came down to simplicity of the system and ease of making ready to tow. In my research of tow laws in various States, I wouldn’t even need a braking system in at least 31 States as the Spark only weighs 2200 lbs. However, I would never tow without a braking system for safety reasons, so I decided to go with a simple surge brake tow bar. I am installing a Blue Ox base plate, a wireless tow light kit and the Ready Brake tow bar with safety cables and break away kit. It also has a dash mounted light sensor in the coach, so I know if the toad brakes are being applied. We will be going on a two week trip to Texas and Arkansas next month, so we’ll see how it all works.

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 AM   #33
edr

Model: freedom elite
State: New Jersey
THOR #6112
towing

Hello,
I tow a 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited sahara.
I use a blue ox towbar and base plate from etrailer.com
Hopkins lighting harness.
And an SMI stay in play braking system.
Installed all myself, not hard to do saved about $500 dollars.
Installed battery isolater so rv won't drain toad battery.
Had to add brake light isolator relay to brake switch.
I really like the SMI brakes, i just plug in and turn a switch on.
Used electric brake wire in rv harness to add led in dash that lets me know
when toad brakes are applied.
I tow with a 2017 thor freedom elite 29fe class c, can't even feel the jeep.
Hope this helps.

EDR
Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 AM   #34

THOR #12335
I've got a ACE 27.1 and tow a 2015 Ford Explorer with the Air Force One brake system. Only set up once and towed all over USA with no issues hooking up by myself. No issues just make sure you turn off when not towing.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 AM   #35

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
Brakes

Weights differ from state to state or province to province. Generally speaking, if you are good to go in your home territory, then you can take it anywhere. I use a tow dolly, and a car under 2500 lbs, which is the limit in Ontario for no brakes. I have 100000 Km with no braking issues, but then I fly under the speed limit and no faster that 60. My van is a C class with the e 450 Ford chassis.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #36

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Ready Brute Elite system

We have a 2016 Equinox, 4 cyl, fwd. Had a Blue Ox baseplate installed, along with the Ready Brute's brake cable. We chose the Elite towbar since it's got the surge brake incorporated. Others have chosen to use a different towbar (usually because they already had it) and added the Ready Brake 'extension.'
Super easy to prepare for towing. Nothing on the floor. No fuses to pull IF you install a bypass switch. I chose to spend $4 on an extended length fuse (#16 for this Equinox) and it takes me 11 seconds to open the hood and remove the fuse.
Good luck with your search.
Safe travels!
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #37

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

... Most insurance companies include dolly towing insurance but a significant number of insurance companies do not.

As for brakes, any towed object pulled by licensed vehicle requires supplemental braking if it exceeds a certain weight usually 1,500 or 3,000 lbs. There are a few states that have higher or no limits. ...

...for insurance: ANY trailer(which includes a tow dolly, a fifth-wheel RV, OR a towed car while not under it's own power), is AUTOMATICALLY included for LIABILITY coverage under your TOW VEHICLES's insurance - with ANY insurance policy you purchase from ANY insurance company.
Only the Comp/Coll coverage are 'elective', depending on whether you wish to have them on the trailer, or towed vehicle, or not.
It's easy to get Liability requirements confused with Comp and Collision electives.

...Brakes for towed trailers or towed vehicles: NO states require them for EVERY trailer or towed vehicle. Only a FEW states require/suggest them IF the trailer or towed vehicle EXCEEDS a certain overall weight. This has nothing to do with the Tow Vehicle's size, length, or weight, though... only the Tow Vehicle's own GVCWR determines that limit.

...License Plates and Insurance: while some states require a separate and individual License Plate for a tow dolly trailer, none require that the trailer has to have a 'policy coverage' line showing it as a separately insured item on your policy... it's only to register it as a separate 'wheeled' item on the road... no different from your personal 'utility trailer' for your lawn mower, etc. States understand that these 'trailers' are already 'automatically' insured under the primary power plant's(tow vehicle, RV, truck, etc) own insurance Liability coverage.
A trailer, fifth-wheel, utility trailer, or anything else you 'pull or tow' will only be listed on your insurance policy IF you elected to cover it for elective Comp and Collision coverage... you'll notice that 'Liability' is waived, or there is no 'premium' for Liability.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #38

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Chevy Spark to use as a toad behind our 2017 ACE 30.3 MH. After researching all the different tow bar and braking systems, I decided to go with the Ready Brake Brute tow bar and surge brake system. My decision came down to simplicity of the system and ease of making ready to tow. In my research of tow laws in various States, I wouldn’t even need a braking system in at least 31 States as the Spark only weighs 2200 lbs. However, I would never tow without a braking system for safety reasons, so I decided to go with a simple surge brake tow bar. I am installing a Blue Ox base plate, a wireless tow light kit and the Ready Brake tow bar with safety cables and break away kit. It also has a dash mounted light sensor in the coach, so I know if the toad brakes are being applied. We will be going on a two week trip to Texas and Arkansas next month, so we’ll see how it all works.

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
I also have a Spark and look forward to hearing how your trip goes. If you don't mind, may I ask how much you paid to have your system installed and how many hours it took them to do this? Thanks
Old 10-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #39

State: Nevada
THOR #13257
Toad Braking system

I tow a Honda Fit behind my Palazzo and towed it behind a Forester Class C. I have the SMI Stay and Play system installed in the Fit. Works great on Hydraulic brake systems and is never seen once installed. It works on the cars vacuum assist brake system and has a small vacuum cylinder permanently attached to the brake peddle. The cylinder is mounted up under the dash and is attached between the fire wall and brake peddle. There is a control box mounted under the hood. I have pulled the Fit for over 10,000 miles with this system and never had one problem. Not cheap but worth every penny. They also have a system for air brakes, it is their Air Force One system. Also works great
Old 10-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #40

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudial View Post
I also have a Spark and look forward to hearing how your trip goes. If you don't mind, may I ask how much you paid to have your system installed and how many hours it took them to do this? Thanks
I plan on installing the system myself next week. I’ve watched the you tube videos for both the Blue Ox base plate and the ready brake cable. The procedure for both seem pretty straightforward. I consider myself a fairly handy guy, so there shouldn’t be too many issues? My neighbor and fellow RVer is going to assist. I’ll let you know how it goes after install and road testing.

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida