Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 four winds 31 w
State: Texas
THOR #10089
Rock gaurd

We are going to be towing a manual trans. six speed 2016 forester down
My question is should I install rock guard on back bumper? My wife is worried we are going to damage the car from rocks we pick up on the road.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Model: 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9713
Rock gaurd

I知 looking into this as well, I definitely think when towing ,something is needed to protect the toad. I think I知 going with a device called Protect-a-tow .
Old 03-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Only if you will be towing on gravel roads will a rock guard be a necessity. Normal paved roads and highways aren't a problem.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

THOR #9713
Rock gaurd

I値l use something, not leaving it to chance, Jeep wranglers are notorious for broken windshields due to the angle of the windshield.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #5

Model: windsport 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #10914
rock guard

want to install a brush type splash guard on my 2018 thor windsport 35m but can not see a good place to install it ,any suggestions ? tks
Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I was told the brush type of skirts actually kick up rocks. I bought a skirt that goes from the RV bumper to the corners of our towed car. Made by Protect-A-Tow, it has lasted over ten years, and around 50,000 miles. It uses a bungee rope around the perimeter to hold the tension, which I had to replace once.

The theory is to keep the rocks down, and let them roll under the car. For years, I kept a bra on the car, too. (Is that like belt + suspenders?) The current cost is $220. Mine is growing thin, and I'll replace it with another.

Here's the link: Protect-a-Tow
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #7

THOR #9713
Rock gaurd

I think I致e settled on the protect a tow for my rig. I知 n the process of adding the baseplate, once that痴 done I値l check my horizontal level to see if I need a riser or drop. This will determine whether I need the standard Protect-a-tow or the longer model, as I was told by the company that the riser would add distance from the rv to the toad.Mr. sunshine, what are you towing and with what?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 AM   #8

THOR #1589
Ok, here's a pic of our 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata set up for towing behind our Vegas 25.2. It has a Roadmaster baseplate and Blue Ox Aventa bars. The braking system I installed is no longer available, but similar to InvisiBrake by Roadmaster.

Miata=More smiles per mile! (BTW: Mazda says you can't tow one, my results prove otherwise.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7630.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	9311  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 AM   #9

THOR #9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Ok, here's a pic of our 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata set up for towing behind our Vegas 25.2. It has a Roadmaster baseplate and Blue Ox Aventa bars. The braking system I installed is no longer available, but similar to InvisiBrake by Roadmaster.

Miata=More smiles per mile! (BTW: Mazda says you can't tow one, my results prove otherwise.)

Looks good , I like that protect a tow, I知 towing a Jeep Wrangler thanks
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Model: windsport 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #10914
Rock guard

Quote:

I also tow a 1997 Mazda mx5 ,where did you put the eyelets on the car to hook to?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I was considering a Rock Guard. About $200, but this Protect A Tow looks like a much better solution for about the same price. Easier install too! Thanks for the tip!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Brush Rock Guard.

I've used the brush type for a couple years now. It is screwed on to the underside of my vegas's bumper. Per the simple instructions, I trimmed mine to where it rides a inch or two above the ground. I see no evidence of rock dings on the toad, so I think ones who have this dinging experience didn't properly trim to correct length. Having the guard also helps reduce the dust on the toad windshield.

Whatever you decide to go with, safe travels.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Actually the brush type kick up WAY less crap than the more solid options! The best option IMO is mud flaps behind the tires and then Mr Sunshine covered the next layer of protection

Anything you put on near the rear bumper thinking protection that can EVER touch the road surface will kick up stuff! Think about how much rear travel your bumper sees when traveling down the highway and then how much more travel it will see on gravel roads. For some of us that bumper could only have a mini skirt and becomes sort of pointless
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tls1128 View Post
I also tow a 1997 Mazda mx5 ,where did you put the eyelets on the car to hook to?

Just an eyebolt under the bumper, as far out as possible. BTW, I have a BlueOx baseplate for a pre-2003 Mazda MX5. PM me if interested.

Just an observation: I see too many of those hula skirts blowing in the breeze behind some of the RVs going down the road. If they are blowing up, they can't be effective.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Just an observation: I see too many of those hula skirts blowing in the breeze behind some of the RVs going down the road. If they are blowing up, they can't be effective.
They still direct stuff down and it's way better to have them blowing up than hitting the ground flipping crap up. ... just think about it for a bit ...
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1135
I hear a lot of stories about the solid style that hangs from chain, not solid attached to the back of the coach. Many have stopped large chunks of dead tire, and even lumber hit by the tires from reaching the toad. The mud flap was destroyed, but the front of the car, and the radiator were just fine.
I am for the large one on the back, but keep it 4-5" off the ground and you will not have issues with it throwing the loose road debris up.

Do either bungee it up, or remove it for the Alaska trip. Those roads can have some real deep pot holes.