Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj73 View Post
Thanks for the info, I did think about the extension from the rear power port, but thought that might be one more connection to worry about.
According to rvi, the 03 error code is intermittent power loss. So not sure what to make of that.
I have the tablet set to lite SUV, and the brake works fine when I hook it up and test it.

I was getting an error code the first time I installed my unit. I kept getting the error over and over. Can’t remeber the code number because it was over a year ago but 3 rings a bell.

Anyway, turned out the battery in my Wrangler was down to a 50% charge. It started fine but the Auto Stop would not work when I came to a red light because of the low battery. The Jeep had been sitting for a month so I was not surprised. I charged up the battery and never got the code again.

I wonder if you are having power issues because you are not providing power to the Wrangler battery from a 7-pin connector like I am doing? I think the RVi3 needs a battery that is close to full charge to work properly.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Thanks, that's very interesting. We usually only drive about 5 or 6 hours a day, and the jeep is only a year old. But that is certainly worth checking out.
I only have a 4 wire set up running to the jeep for lights, but would be a simple thing to run a power wire from the 7 pin plug to the battery.
I'm going to look into that for sure.
Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #23

Model: 22FE
State: Texas
THOR #6462
Rvi3 issues

Like others on the thread, I don’t think this is a 12v issue. When I got my first Rvi3, there was a problem with the 12v plug, it often would disconnect when hitting a bump in the road. The display alarm would chime that the power was off and the brake arm would instantly disconnect. Finally figured out if I wiggled the power cable the Rvi3 power would go on and off. Was not the socket as I plugged in other devices that worked fine. Called Rvi and they replaced the unit. Great customer service I agree. No problem with 2nd unit. I would focus on the breakaway as others also suggested.
larryfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #24

THOR #7496
I think you may have nailed it. Ran a power line from the coach to the jeep battery. 1500 miles and no problems.... Thanks again man, here's for hopin. lol .
Old 10-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #25

THOR #7496
Update.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post. Very much appreciated.
I ended up running a hot wire off the coach 7 pin, to the battery on the jeep.
Put a fuse in the line , 20 amp for some protection.
1500 miles, and no problems.
Now i've been told by rvi, that if i have an agm battery in the jeep, which i have, and not using an "actual battery charger" i can do some damage to it over time.
Seems like the hot line is coming from the motor home charger ?
Any thoughts ?
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:19 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj73 View Post
Thanks to everybody who responded to my post. Very much appreciated.

I ended up running a hot wire off the coach 7 pin, to the battery on the jeep.

Put a fuse in the line , 20 amp for some protection.

1500 miles, and no problems.

Now i've been told by rvi, that if i have an agm battery in the jeep, which i have, and not using an "actual battery charger" i can do some damage to it over time.

Seems like the hot line is coming from the motor home charger ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

I’d use a device that’s made for the job - in fact I do! At the very least you might consider a diode.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	34228