Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Same setup for us. The more I use it, the more I love it. Had a good long trip this past week and it worked flawless. I'm like you, being able to see that brakes are being applied is good information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeride View Post
I bought the RVI3 a couple months ago to use with our Jeep Comanche Trailhawk. Also installed the RVI 12v charger. VERY happy with both products. I really like being able to see the “amount” of brake pressure being applied when I am braking. Definitely gives an added feeling of assurance when you have a 5000+ pound vehicle following you a couple feet back.

TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCONAWAY View Post
I use the RVI3 package with brake system And tire patrol to flat tow 2018 Honda Fit Sport with 2017 Hurricane 31S. I have Blue Ox tow bar assembly. It’s an easy hook up. For my application it has performed great.
Hi,
I’ve got a 2020 Fit also and was considering the RVIBrake3 also but was a little concerned about it fitting in the driver side well. According to the specs it’s 15” long which would take it from the back of the well to break itself. Is that how yours fits? I’m assuming it works for you but wanted to make sure your 2017 fit well is the same size as the 2020 fit well. Also now that it’s been a couple of years longer, are you still liking the RVIBreak3?
Thanks
Old 08-27-2021, 11:59 PM   #23

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I have recently purchased and set up the RVi3 brake for the 2020 Ram 1500 toad. I also got the toad brake charger and tire patrol TPMS for both the Omni and Ram. My first trip the tablet battery couldn't hold a charge and wouldn't charge fast enough to compensate how much juice was being used. As such it kept shutting down which made the TPMS useless and and monitoring the other components impossible. I contacted RVi and they sent a new tablet. I've done some "ground tests" of the battery and it's much better and keeps up with the battery usage. I have a 3 week trip that I'm leaving on Wednesday so we'll see how it works.

As far as the the brake module, it fit nicely in the Ram, and was very easy to set up. In fact all the components, battery charger, TPMS very easy to setup and install.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:44 AM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I’ve had the RVi Brake3 for about a year and I like it. I also like the brake test function so I can tell its working. Fits great in the Wrangle and installs in 5 minutes.

I already had the Eez Tire TPMS but thought about buying their sensors anyway. But having to send them back to have batteries changed in 2 or 3 years was a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #25

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
4th tow using RVi brake setup with their battery charger and wireless break away setup, very easy setup great so far. Just ordered their tire patrol setup, I like my TST tire monitoring setup but I'll have everything on one monitor now. Installed everything on 21 buick encore gx 2 more short tows before long tow 1200mi.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
I have the Patriot 3 and it works great. I do admit the RVibrake3 looks really nice and compact. The Patriot 3 is bit clunky getting in and out.
If I had a do-over I would lean to the RVi3
Old 10-05-2021, 02:33 AM   #27

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
I purchased the RVIbrake3 this past spring to replace my old EvenBrake. We did a 2000 mile round trip in June. Worked very well, and very easy/fast to mount and dismount. The tablet works good but it definitely needs to stay powered up the whole trip. The battery doesn’t last long. It also tended to slide off the magnetic dash mount pretty easy. The wireless hub provided to transmit the signal from the vehicle to the tablet works well also. Very compact, and easy to store…
Old 10-16-2021, 10:45 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Purchased over a year ago and have probably 5,000 miles on it.
Included : tire monitor for 10 tires.
The charge adapter (had to switch to the the 7 pin connector to get the hot line).
The breakaway controller (glad I did, because running a wire through the firewall in the honda element looked like a PIA)

The only problem I have had is that the hub controller keeps falling off the wall because the adhesive holding the metal plate keeps coming off.
- Talk about lazy. Just either need to re-glue or bitch at RVI and see if they will send me a new plate with adhesive. Clearly I am REAL lazy.

I liked the idea of the proportional brake type. Also, getting the TPMS in the same unit was appealing.

A happy customer.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #29

THOR #13399
Received my tire patrol VERY easy setup worked great on 3 recent tows. 2 weeks till big 1300 mile tow that should be a good test, some long days and short overnight stops without unhooking. Good all-around test for tow setup and new towed 21 buick encore gx.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #30

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Received my tire patrol VERY easy setup worked great on 3 recent tows. 2 weeks till big 1300 mile tow that should be a good test, some long days and short overnight stops without unhooking. Good all-around test for tow setup and new towed 21 buick encore gx.
You may have to experiment with the puck/command center placement to get good reception on all sensors. I started out with it in the rear bedroom and found the front tires of the RV tended not to be found and kept found well.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #31

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
RVI3 Braking System Concern

I posted a similar reply on the TOAD topic thread before seeing this more specific thread. I apologize in advance if I'm violating a policy. I'll keep this short and focused
Does anyone using the RVI3 system have any problems with the hub losing communication with everything in the system?
Everytime we set ours up shortly after connecting our hub to brake unit, the tablet reports that the signal was lost to the hub.
Company said that its likely an issue with competing WIFI signals.
Our issue is where can you go and not likely be be near competing wifi?

Reading this thread, I haven't seen anyone mention this.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #32

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
I posted a similar reply on the TOAD topic thread before seeing this more specific thread. I apologize in advance if I'm violating a policy. I'll keep this short and focused
Does anyone using the RVI3 system have any problems with the hub losing communication with everything in the system?
Everytime we set ours up shortly after connecting our hub to brake unit, the tablet reports that the signal was lost to the hub.
Company said that its likely an issue with competing WIFI signals.
Our issue is where can you go and not likely be be near competing wifi?

Reading this thread, I haven't seen anyone mention this.
You may have to push the company to replace either the puck or tablet. I had an issue with there tablet not hold a charge and actually losing power, battery running down, while plugged in and driving. Tablet would die which of course makes the Tire Minder TPMS useless and while maybe the barking and toad battery was still being charged, you couldn't monitor anything. I tried all their suggestions about using a generic charging cord, etc. A less than stellar review got their attention and the finally replaced the tablet. Works good now but still randomly drops TPMS sensors depending on puck location. Perhaps your puck isn't holding or taking a proper charge. With the RVs system, no puck/command center, no "nothing".
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #33

THOR #24995
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately this continues to happen even keeping both hub and tablet plugged in while using.
Where do you set your hub for best operation.
We've been sitting in on top of the vanity shelf under the BR TV
Old 11-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #34

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately this continues to happen even keeping both hub and tablet plugged in while using.
Where do you set your hub for best operation.
We've been sitting in on top of the vanity shelf under the BR TV
My original tablet internal battery couldn't keep up with the charging it was getting. Starting with a full charge, plugged in overnight and turned off, it would die within an hour and half while driving. Yes plugged in to a good port. Bad internal battery and replacing the tablet fixed that.

I started off with the puck/command center in that same location since it had convenient USB ports but had problem of not seeing and keeping the TPMS sensors. I now put it on the recliners seat, or near the sink, which seems better. Get a longer charging cord so it will reach different locations.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #35

THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
My original tablet internal battery couldn't keep up with the charging it was getting. Starting with a full charge, plugged in overnight and turned off, it would die within an hour and half while driving. Yes plugged in to a good port. Bad internal battery and replacing the tablet fixed that.

I started off with the puck/command center in that same location since it had convenient USB ports but had problem of not seeing and keeping the TPMS sensors. I now put it on the recliners seat, or near the sink, which seems better. Get a longer charging cord so it will reach different locations.
Took our first legitimate trip with jeep in tow using the RVi3 and placed the puck on the recliners. Happy to report all worked with no lose of connection. We have the brake set to a low setting such that if I didn't see the signal on the tablet, i wouldn't know the jeep brakes engaged. That said, I drive the Omni like I did pulling my TT, very conservatively, so any inertia sensing device will take a bit to respond
Old 12-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #36

THOR #13399
Just got an email RVi is having a sale $260. off complete package, and discount on individual items also. As usual I missed it. I have the complete system, brake, charger, wireless breakaway and tire patrol, 2,000 miles and working great.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:44 AM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I want the Truth... The Good, Bad & Ugly?

I came across RViBrake System as an option yesterday. Thought I would join this thread versus creating new.

Can I get the Good, Bad & Ugly as it relates to RViBrake 3?

I am considering

1. RViBrake 3 Portable
2. RviBrake Wireless Adaptor
3. RviBrake Towed Battery Charger Plus

This is about $1,800 Is it worth it? I plan to do very little flat towing. I just want the ability to flat tow if really needed to.

What I think I know.

1. Portable
2. Does not have to press up against my Navigator seat every time I press brake
3. Hidden floor mount that serves as backstop
4. There is no wiring connecting to my brake pedal
5. Comes with tablet with WiFi in RV Cabin that connects with RVIBrake in Towed
6. Only 4" tall ( 10 lbs) but easier to store
7. No wiring required inside Navigator (I have nearby 12vdc socket that is powered with engine off, is true for Patriot too)
8. Activates - Reaction Time: 0.5 seconds
9. Breakaway plus to unit; not the pedal
10. 1 hour initial install, 30 sec to set up; 3 Year warranty
11. Wireless breakaway adapter $150 ( no drilling required through firewall)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #38

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I came across RViBrake System as an option yesterday. Thought I would join this thread versus creating new.

I am considering

1. RViBrake 3 Portable

This is about $1,800 Is it worth it? I plan to do very little flat towing. I just want the ability to flat tow if really needed to.

What I think I know.

1. Portable
7. No wiring required inside Navigator (I have nearby 12vdc socket that is powered with engine off, is true for Patriot too)
Here's my take. I have the RVi3 and like it. It easy to set up and you may not need the added backstop for the unit if the "footwell" in the front is sufficient. I don't in a Ram 1500, 2500 and Jeep Gladiator. Make sure your towed vehicle 12v stays on. Many "hot" 12v time out after several minutes. In the Jeep and Ram 2500 I added a separate fused 12v HOT to the battery.

I don't have the wireless breakaway but used the "wired" one. There will be grommets on the firewall that you can come through. Same for all 3 vehicles I listed. I did also get the towed brake charger, 2 actually since I currently have the Gladiator and 2500 set to tow. I haven't had any weak or bad towed vehicle battery even after a couple long 2 days towing.

The setup is easy but depending on the space you have to work, getting the actuator arm claw on the brake pedal takes developing a smooth technique. Just a learning experience. Re the portable, I can switch back and forth between vehicles.

Tablet quality is questionable. They boldly advertise "Made in USA" and Made in china is on the tablet. Tablet battery poor and has keeping trouble with keeping up with power demand. Tablet isn't really needed unless you just like looking at icons for braking and reading the towed vehicle battery voltages. I don't even plug it in and use it anymore. 1 less thing to clutter the dash.

I don't recommend the Tire Patrol TPMS. I got it, and after close to a year trying everything they suggested including new button sensors, returned it for partial refund. In my opinion, that system which has the TPMS sensors send info to command center/puck then to tablet has too much chance for interference. Tire sensors kept randomly dropping offline without warning and was different ones. I had the same results with the omni and now the Renegade Valencia. I have an older EEZTire set that I put back in service and works good.

Bottom line none of the auxiliary braking systems are cheap but they are necessary. You can save some $$ by using supplied wired breakaway and making your own battery charger with a few $ of parts from local auto parts. I got the RVi version for convenience. Hope this helps.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-17-2023, 11:15 AM   #39

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

I am considering

1. RViBrake 3 Portable

What I think I know.

1. Portable
Hey dk.... long-time no chat.....

I've had the RViBrake 3 for 3 years now and I like it. Takes less than 3 minutes to put it in and take it out. It is the best portable breaking system on the market in my opinion.

The Wireless Emergency Brake Adapter was not available when I bought mine but I don't think I would buy it today. It is very easy to install the wired break away kit. I keep the wire for it coiled up under the floor mat and it just plugs right in. I don't think the wireless one is worth the money given how easy the wired one is to install and use.

I installed my own wire and automatic resettable breaker to run power to the battery for charging while towing my Wrangler. Cost me less than $15 and took less than 30 minutes to install.

I don't use the little tablet much they include with the RViBrake 3. I just ied it to set the gain and then to do a quick test to make sure the brake activates. There are times I have never even turned on the tablet.

I give it a

Take Care!
Old 02-17-2023, 12:54 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I purchased Rvibrake, Toad battery charger, wired breakaway system, and 6 Tire Patrol sensors in June 2021. Towing a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid. The brake, the charger, the breakaway, and the tablet have all worked well with no problems. (I keep the tablet plugged in at all times). The puck works well too once I found a good location. (That took some experimentation) I highly recommend that system. The TPMS sensors not so much. They worked well at first but as of now, less than 2 years, they have replaced 3 of the 6 sensors once and another sensor has been replaced twice. All at no charge, but still I feel they are unreliable. 3 sensors just stopped transmitting but the 4th started leaking while I was driving. The plastic case actually swelled up and was leaking at the seam. I am not sure why the 3 sensors failed, perhaps the batteries ran down, or perhaps some other reason. RVI did not want the failed sensors back, which seems odd to me, I would think they would want to know WHY their sensors failed early. I always remove the sensors when not in use for more than 1-2 weeks to preserve the batteries. Maybe the first failures were “infant mortality”. All sensors are currently working so I am sticking with them for now. I like that the brake, the tire pressure and the tire temperature are all viewed on the same dashboard device. Knowing what I know now, however, I would go with a different TPMS, one with user replaceable batteries.