Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
RVibrake3 Flat Towing Braking System

I found one post from about a year ago about the RVibrake3 portable braking system.

I wanted to see if anyone else on here had any experience with it at this point. It looks pretty slick and very easy to setup and remove. It is the smallest and lightest unit on the market. This video shows how to install and remove it.

I was going to go with the Blue Ox Patriot 3 or the Roadmaster Even Brake but after seeing the RVibrake 3, I am leaning in its direction now.

I'm just embarking on my first toad. I have been pulling our Can-Am Spyder on a trailer but we just got a great deal on a dealer's loaner vehicle.... a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with only 9000 miles and most of the factory warranty left plus the certified pre-owned warranty.

I was leaning towards Blue Ox but I went with Roadmaster. I just ordered the Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar and the Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit from etrailer.

I liked the Roadmaster direct connect base plate better for the Wrangler and I also liked the Nighthawk having the wiring and safety cables built into the tow bar. The fact it also had LED lights for added visibiity was also a bonus.

I figure that I have time to research braking systems a little more. I have decided on a portable unit. I could install a permanent braking system myself but I'm not sure I want to spend 5 - 6 hours doing it plus I like the idea of being able to move it to another vehicle easily if needed.

Right now the RVibrake3 has my attention and it looks so small and easy to use that I am now leaning in that direction. I did see a review on a Jeep forum that gave it positive marks so that is encouraging as well.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Texas
THOR #16118
I have the following setup for towing my Wrangler:
RVibrake3, RVi Towed battery charger, and RVi Tire Patrol TPMS - all display using the same control pad.
https://rvibrake.com/

Roadmaster Nighthawk, attached to Maximus-3 Tow Loops (bolt to chassis rail frame). Had to change out the Roadmaster attachment lugs.
https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-acce...jl-tow-loops#/

Additionally, I went with the CoolTech wiring harness. Pretty easy install -YouTube video helped.
https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rness-kit.html

Installed it all myself. Over 2,000 miles so far– everything working great!
2020 Thor Challenger 37YT
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Terry Ekeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #19084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I found one post from about a year ago about the RVibrake3 portable braking system.

I wanted to see if anyone else on here had any experience with it at this point. It looks pretty slick and very easy to setup and remove. It is the smallest and lightest unit on the market. This video shows how to install and remove it.

I was going to go with the Blue Ox Patriot 3 or the Roadmaster Even Brake but after seeing the RVibrake 3, I am leaning in its direction now.

I'm just embarking on my first toad. I have been pulling our Can-Am Spyder on a trailer but we just got a great deal on a dealer's loaner vehicle.... a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with only 9000 miles and most of the factory warranty left plus the certified pre-owned warranty.

I was leaning towards Blue Ox but I went with Roadmaster. I just ordered the Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar and the Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit from etrailer.

I liked the Roadmaster direct connect base plate better for the Wrangler and I also liked the Nighthawk having the wiring and safety cables built into the tow bar. The fact it also had LED lights for added visibiity was also a bonus.

I figure that I have time to research braking systems a little more. I have decided on a portable unit. I could install a permanent braking system myself but I'm not sure I want to spend 5 - 6 hours doing it plus I like the idea of being able to move it to another vehicle easily if needed.

Right now the RVibrake3 has my attention and it looks so small and easy to use that I am now leaning in that direction. I did see a review on a Jeep forum that gave it positive marks so that is encouraging as well.

Hi Judge,

I’m pulling our 2018 Wrangler JK with a BO bar, plate, and the RVI3. Easy install every time and works great for the 3 trips I’ve been on so far. The pad up front lets you know when the toad brake activates but isn’t necessary for the unit to work.

When you check out their website it will tell you that you need a bracket to mount behind the unit (they provide free) because the seat hump is too short. What you don’t find out until you receive it is that they instruct you to mount it on the hump and position the unit at an angle (that’s for the JK, you didn’t mention if that’s you or you have the JL).

I was uncomfortable with that arrangement and the hump seemed big enough after testing it out so I am running it without a bracket. In talking with their rep, he said the strongest the cylinder will deploy/activate is when you set it up, the 3 cycle action. I saw no upward movement of the unit after doing this a couple of times so no bracket for me. The rep said they recommend it because of limited space for the unit, but my JK has enough and the brake pedal is fully released when the unit is not active.

Good luck and stay well.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus2king View Post
Hi Judge,

I’m pulling our 2018 Wrangler JK with a BO bar, plate, and the RVI3. Easy install every time and works great for the 3 trips I’ve been on so far. The pad up front lets you know when the toad brake activates but isn’t necessary for the unit to work.

When you check out their website it will tell you that you need a bracket to mount behind the unit (they provide free) because the seat hump is too short. What you don’t find out until you receive it is that they instruct you to mount it on the hump and position the unit at an angle (that’s for the JK, you didn’t mention if that’s you or you have the JL).

I was uncomfortable with that arrangement and the hump seemed big enough after testing it out so I am running it without a bracket. In talking with their rep, he said the strongest the cylinder will deploy/activate is when you set it up, the 3 cycle action. I saw no upward movement of the unit after doing this a couple of times so no bracket for me. The rep said they recommend it because of limited space for the unit, but my JK has enough and the brake pedal is fully released when the unit is not active.

Good luck and stay well.
Thanks for all the info!

My 2018 Wrangler is the JL and I saw they include a plate for it. I like that it does not push on the seat. I am hoping I don't have to mount the bracket like you did but we'll see how it works out.

After seeing this video comparing their air cylinder vs. electric mechanism, I have decided on the RVi3 (although the Demco Delta Force is a close second but I have Weathertech-like mats and I don't think the Demco mount would work with them).

I am hoping they have their 10% off sale this week for 4th of July. If they do, I will be pulling the trigger.

I installed a Roadmaster Direct Connect Baseplate with the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar. I have the light wiring all hooked up now so I only need to get the braking system and install the emergency break away.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Just got our RVI3 last week. Have used it for 2 short trips towing our Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr. It is working fantastic. Easy setup.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #6

THOR #16118
Hi Judge,

I don't use the adapter bracket with my 2019 JLUR - have found the seat hump to be sufficient. I do remove my all-weather floormat and put the RVI3 unit on the carpet.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ekeland View Post
Hi Judge,

I don't use the adapter bracket with my 2019 JLUR - have found the seat hump to be sufficient. I do remove my all-weather floormat and put the RVI3 unit on the carpet.
Thanks Terry! That is just the confirmation I was hoping someone could give me.

I hope to get it ordered this week. They seem to have a 10% off sale around major holidays. They had one over Memorial Day weekend so I am hoping there is one for the 4th.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #11607
I don't use the bracket either. Sorry missed that part of your question. I leave my Husky all weather mat in place also.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #9

THOR #16118
Hi Judge,
One other thing - you'll need continuous 12v power to the RVI3 while towing. The JL front lighter plug is only powered when ignition is on. You can run an extension to the back lighter plug, or add this easy CoolTech adapter to convert the front plug:

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rport-kit.html

It was a quick and easy install.

terry
Old 06-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ekeland View Post
Hi Judge,
One other thing - you'll need continuous 12v power to the RVI3 while towing. The JL front lighter plug is only powered when ignition is on. You can run an extension to the back lighter plug, or add this easy CoolTech adapter to convert the front plug:

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rport-kit.html

It was a quick and easy install.

terry
Thanks Terry!

I planned to use the 12V outlet in the back that is always on. I have an extension picked out on Amazon. But I will take a look at this option as well.

Thanks again for the tips!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
My ‘15 Wrangler had a hot 12V in the center console.

Btw, I use RVi2 and like it a lot. Easy in Wrangler and now easy in my Ford Ranger.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane S31
State: Maryland
THOR #12110
I use the RVI3 package with brake system And tire patrol to flat tow 2018 Honda Fit Sport with 2017 Hurricane 31S. I have Blue Ox tow bar assembly. It’s an easy hook up. For my application it has performed great.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37tb
THOR #11091
RVI 3 Brake

I use the RVI 3 Brake in my Jeep Gladiator JT. The system is easy to install and works great.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #14

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCONAWAY View Post
I use the RVI3 package with brake system And tire patrol to flat tow 2018 Honda Fit Sport with 2017 Hurricane 31S. I have Blue Ox tow bar assembly. It’s an easy hook up. For my application it has performed great.
Your Honda Fit Sport weighs just 2,500#

I’m pulling a Chevy Spark @ 2,200# behind my Vegas.
As a California resident...I’m not using a brake system yet.
The law in place for towing trailers built after 1966 is 3000#.

In fact, one can purchase a dual axel utility trailer, 8’ wide by 16’ long without brakes. As long as total weight with load is not over 2,999# it’s legal.
Or
Purchase same trailer with brakes (for additional $200), and the legal load grows to 8,000#.
Go figure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05A8B10B-3C86-4743-9CE0-11418F698066.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	24643  
Old 07-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks Terry!

I planned to use the 12V outlet in the back that is always on. I have an extension picked out on Amazon. But I will take a look at this option as well.

Thanks again for the tips!
I found a solenoid under the bed that's only hot when the ignition switch is turned to the on position. Works out great. I can park for the night and the brake system only comes alive when I start it in the morning. That keeps it from drawing on the house batteries overnight. I always cross-check hookup, brake operation and directional before getting under way anyway. If it's raining, I'm basically screwed and get wet.

Your 7-pin will have a hot spot too. You'll need to find it with a voltmeter - if you can find a 7 pin for your towed. I couldn't and used a 5-pin. I ran separate power lines for the braking system using the solenoid and ran the lines through an existing passage under the bed. I used a coat hanger to ream out the foam a little to let the wires pass through. Connect that to the 4-pin on the coach side and viola. You probably see where this is going. If not ask.

Got the parts from O'Reilly's. Two 4-pin connectors, wiring conduit and 4ft of wire. I fab'd a holder for the coach so it's sits atop the 7-pin and bolted the other 4-pin to the roadmaster adapter bar.

I have the BO setup. Towing now for 11+k miles. Couldn't be happier with it. When not in use, I disconnect the wires and fold the tow bar back against the grill, secure it with bungie strap and a bicycle lock and off I go. I bought a toad wiring harness from etrailer and installed it on the truck in about 4hrs. It's neat, clean and wrapped front to back in plastic wiring conduit. I used zip ties where needed. Maybe some (or all) of this helps.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #17673
Did you buy?

At least one poster, and/or the OP said they were going to buy over the weekend because they usually have a sale around a holiday...

Did they?
Did you buy?

thanks,
Old 07-07-2020, 01:34 AM   #17

THOR #12751
I was surprised they did not have a July 4th sale after they had a Memorial Day sale so I have not pulled the trigger yet.

I just missed a great deal on eBay where someone was selling two of them still sealed in the box for $950 each. Someone just bought the last one when I found it.

I will probably pull the trigger on it in the next few days or so.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:50 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane S31
State: Maryland
THOR #12110
Brake requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Your Honda Fit Sport weighs just 2,500#

I’m pulling a Chevy Spark @ 2,200# behind my Vegas.
As a California resident...I’m not using a brake system yet.
The law in place for towing trailers built after 1966 is 3000#.

In fact, one can purchase a dual axel utility trailer, 8’ wide by 16’ long without brakes. As long as total weight with load is not over 2,999# it’s legal.
Or
Purchase same trailer with brakes (for additional $200), and the legal load grows to 8,000#.
Go figure
Appreciate your comment and I’m learning a lot however I prefer having a brake system even if not required. Not really sure about weight for brake system requirements may be but I did the RVI3 on our Honda Fit for safety assurance and peace of mind. Also because I may change my tow vehicle to heavier one down the road. My BO tow bar is rated at 10k # for same reason. It cost a little more but I’m ok with that.
I wonder sometimes about regulations an how there are determined, probably boils down to $ government collects. Happy and safe travels.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCONAWAY View Post
Appreciate your comment and I’m learning a lot however I prefer having a brake system even if not required. Not really sure about weight for brake system requirements may be but I did the RVI3 on our Honda Fit for safety assurance and peace of mind. Also because I may change my tow vehicle to heavier one down the road. My BO tow bar is rated at 10k # for same reason. It cost a little more but I’m ok with that.

I wonder sometimes about regulations an how there are determined, probably boils down to $ government collects. Happy and safe travels.

Good for you! I strongly believe that having all the braking power you can get is a good thing regardless of the law. When a deer or an inattentive driver suddenly appears you’ll be glad those four tires are helping you stop!
Old 07-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8977
I bought the RVI3 a couple months ago to use with our Jeep Comanche Trailhawk. Also installed the RVI 12v charger. VERY happy with both products. I really like being able to see the “amount” of brake pressure being applied when I am braking. Definitely gives an added feeling of assurance when you have a 5000+ pound vehicle following you a couple feet back.
Eeeride is offline   Reply With Quote