RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
Posts: 145
THOR #3520
Satisfied with your Remco mods?

Hi!
I'm considering having my 2008 RAV4 modified for dinghy towing. I'd like some comment, good and bad, about the Remco transmission pump and the Blue Ox towing gear.
I know it'll be a significant investment and want to know I'll be doing the right thing.
CasaLoca
__________________

__________________
CasaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 635
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Hi!
I'm considering having my 2008 RAV4 modified for dinghy towing. I'd like some comment, good and bad, about the Remco transmission pump and the Blue Ox towing gear.
I know it'll be a significant investment and want to know I'll be doing the right thing.
CasaLoca
Can't speak to Blue Ox, I have Demco and like it. I tow a '03 Tacoma with Remco. I spray it with teflon dry lube and I can shift it my hand underneath. That's not routine just saying it's smooth and easy. I put it in Park, pull the cable and go. No transylvania pump issues that other toads have.

I don't know about the RAV4. Mine's FWD, how do they do it?
__________________

__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
Posts: 145
THOR #3520
I went by my local Remco dealer to get a firm quote and to ask how many transmission pumps they had installed. The quote, including the baseplate, Blue Ox gear, brakes, etc, came to $7000.00. Then the dealer said he would not recommend doing it.
I did not ask why they did not recommend doing it. When someone does not want to take my money for whatever reason, I will not argue with them.
Guess I'll find something else to tow. Don't see many comfortable choices out there but I suppose the 2018 Chevy Equinox might be a possibility.
CasaLoca
__________________
CasaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 635
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
I went by my local Remco dealer to get a firm quote and to ask how many transmission pumps they had installed. The quote, including the baseplate, Blue Ox gear, brakes, etc, came to $7000.00. Then the dealer said he would not recommend doing it.
I did not ask why they did not recommend doing it. When someone does not want to take my money for whatever reason, I will not argue with them.
Guess I'll find something else to tow. Don't see many comfortable choices out there but I suppose the 2018 Chevy Equinox might be a possibility.
CasaLoca
Looking back at my posts I should have spelled out Front Wheel Drive.. For that the tow dolly seems the best idea.
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
Posts: 145
THOR #3520
Yes, I have been towing my front wheel drive RAV4 on a dolly. With advancing age, it is getting more difficult to get down and secure safety chains and all the other stuff to load and unload the dolly.
It discourages us from many short side trips and local visits. That is why we are seeking to change over to a dinghy towing situation. Just to make it easier on old knees.
Giving up the comfort and reliability of the RAV won't be an easy decision. So many options that CAN be towed just aren't agreeable.
For instance, I don't want to go back to a manual transmission nor do want want anything that rides like a truck. I could tow something old but then I would give up the modern safety features. So many compromises........
CasaLoca
__________________
CasaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,266
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Yes, I have been towing my front wheel drive RAV4 on a dolly. With advancing age, it is getting more difficult to get down and secure safety chains and all the other stuff to load and unload the dolly.

It discourages us from many short side trips and local visits. That is why we are seeking to change over to a dinghy towing situation. Just to make it easier on old knees.

Giving up the comfort and reliability of the RAV won't be an easy decision. So many options that CAN be towed just aren't agreeable.

For instance, I don't want to go back to a manual transmission nor do want want anything that rides like a truck. I could tow something old but then I would give up the modern safety features. So many compromises........

CasaLoca


Equinox is safe, reliable and comfortable. And there are so many available on lease returns that they even are cheap. My go to family car for years.
__________________

__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×