Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Satisfied with your Remco mods?

Hi!
I'm considering having my 2008 RAV4 modified for dinghy towing. I'd like some comment, good and bad, about the Remco transmission pump and the Blue Ox towing gear.
I know it'll be a significant investment and want to know I'll be doing the right thing.
CasaLoca

Old 05-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Hi!
I'm considering having my 2008 RAV4 modified for dinghy towing. I'd like some comment, good and bad, about the Remco transmission pump and the Blue Ox towing gear.
I know it'll be a significant investment and want to know I'll be doing the right thing.
CasaLoca
Can't speak to Blue Ox, I have Demco and like it. I tow a '03 Tacoma with Remco. I spray it with teflon dry lube and I can shift it my hand underneath. That's not routine just saying it's smooth and easy. I put it in Park, pull the cable and go. No transylvania pump issues that other toads have.

I don't know about the RAV4. Mine's FWD, how do they do it?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #3

THOR #3520
I went by my local Remco dealer to get a firm quote and to ask how many transmission pumps they had installed. The quote, including the baseplate, Blue Ox gear, brakes, etc, came to $7000.00. Then the dealer said he would not recommend doing it.
I did not ask why they did not recommend doing it. When someone does not want to take my money for whatever reason, I will not argue with them.
Guess I'll find something else to tow. Don't see many comfortable choices out there but I suppose the 2018 Chevy Equinox might be a possibility.
CasaLoca
Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
I went by my local Remco dealer to get a firm quote and to ask how many transmission pumps they had installed. The quote, including the baseplate, Blue Ox gear, brakes, etc, came to $7000.00. Then the dealer said he would not recommend doing it.
I did not ask why they did not recommend doing it. When someone does not want to take my money for whatever reason, I will not argue with them.
Guess I'll find something else to tow. Don't see many comfortable choices out there but I suppose the 2018 Chevy Equinox might be a possibility.
CasaLoca
Looking back at my posts I should have spelled out Front Wheel Drive.. For that the tow dolly seems the best idea.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

THOR #3520
Yes, I have been towing my front wheel drive RAV4 on a dolly. With advancing age, it is getting more difficult to get down and secure safety chains and all the other stuff to load and unload the dolly.
It discourages us from many short side trips and local visits. That is why we are seeking to change over to a dinghy towing situation. Just to make it easier on old knees.
Giving up the comfort and reliability of the RAV won't be an easy decision. So many options that CAN be towed just aren't agreeable.
For instance, I don't want to go back to a manual transmission nor do want want anything that rides like a truck. I could tow something old but then I would give up the modern safety features. So many compromises........
CasaLoca
Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Yes, I have been towing my front wheel drive RAV4 on a dolly. With advancing age, it is getting more difficult to get down and secure safety chains and all the other stuff to load and unload the dolly.

It discourages us from many short side trips and local visits. That is why we are seeking to change over to a dinghy towing situation. Just to make it easier on old knees.

Giving up the comfort and reliability of the RAV won't be an easy decision. So many options that CAN be towed just aren't agreeable.

For instance, I don't want to go back to a manual transmission nor do want want anything that rides like a truck. I could tow something old but then I would give up the modern safety features. So many compromises........

CasaLoca

Equinox is safe, reliable and comfortable. And there are so many available on lease returns that they even are cheap. My go to family car for years.