Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Scuffing up toad

Hi Folks, looking for suggestions here. The wire from the magnetic towing lights on the rear of our toad has scuffed up the finish on the hood. I think these will buff out but I'd like some ideas on how to prevent future scuffing.
One can only buff so many times before things start getting rusty. The roof has been no problem, just used a few cable ties along the roof rack. Just the hood has the markings and in less than 4000 miles.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Can you route the wires either under the vehicle? or thru the front grill and thru engine compartment then up the windshield to roof rack to at least avoid the hood area?

I used a more permanent light/wiring option - driving the existing lights with just an embilical from trailer harness on MH to front grill on toad.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You don't say what kind of toad you have. Run the wiring under the hood coming out the back of hood and up the windshield to roof rack. Sounds like you need a more permanent wiring that can be attached at the grill, run under the vehicle and to your rear lights.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

THOR #3520
OK, our toad is a Toyota RAV4. I'll be going out to look at the possibility of running through the engine compartment and out the grill.
But I'm interested in the idea of being able to use the regular taillights on the RAV. The toad has a hitch and a plugin socket for a trailer. Could I use that to feed back to the taillights? Or would there need to be digging in a modifying the wiring?
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
There are wiring kits available for using the toads lights, but all that I am aware of require additional wiring runs through the car to tail lights. Once done, though, it is so much easier to deal with. Also true for the braking system, using something like the US Gear unified brake system, once installed all you need do is plug the umbilical into the MH and the toad.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Jeep offers an OEM harness that plugs in under dash, and runs wire to front grill to plug in. Powers normal tail lights from Rv. Other manufacturers may have similar. No other mods needed to wiring with this.

Kits typically either add extra bulbs in existing enclosures, or use existing bulds with diodes to isolate the two systems.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Like GMC said, you will have to put diodes on the stock bulbs to prevent feedback, or install a second set of bulbs if there is room.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #8

THOR #3520
After weeding out a hundred kits to wire a trailer to a RAV4, I found just one kit to rig the RAV4 to BE towed. It is the Hopkins 55999 Universal wiring harness. Has anyone here used this? Any problems?
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca