Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
SMI Braking System

I am pricing towing systems and a local dealer suggest an SMI braking system.

I am not familiar with it. Does anyone here use it for towing?

Phil

Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
I have used it on two different toads over the last 6+ years and like it. The original one installed on my Jeep Wrangler in 2009 or 2010 is still operating (my sister has it). The second one is on our current toad, a 2013 Jeep.
The Stay-in-Play model is easy to install but i have had each of the ones I had installed. They are easy to operate and no-hassle to set-up. No pedal pumps to relocate when not needed or other equipment. It is all there all the time!
Any questions let me know and I will try to help.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
How did they set up your brakes? Did they use diodes to keep signal away from toad, or did they just use nothing for that?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

THOR #1075
I spoke with SMI themselves and found out they are within fifty miles of my house. I am going to have them install the unit and will try to take pictures when they do it, if they will let me in the shop while they work.

Remember I was in management for fifty years before retirement and have no actual skills of my own, except for paperwork, federal forms and grant applications.

Phil
Old 03-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

THOR #3195
I hope they let you do the pictures, as that is one of the systems that is on top of my list.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 AM   #6

THOR #3195
OK, I read over their entire Installation Instructions and find some interesting questions I need to ask them. You must arleady have your brake system hooked up whatever system you decide to use, but I expected that. It says "Stay-IN-Play Duo is designed to provide progressive braking effort based on the brake lights of the coach AND inertia (stopping G-force)." I don't see that system working with my coach. In using the Ford Exhaust Brake, in my 2015 diesel, I have to hit the brake pedal, not hard, but a firm tap, to iniate the brake exhaust when going downhill and again for every gear lower. It is the way my exhaust brake and others work. So everytime I hit my brake to iniate the exhaust brake it will also iniate the Stay-IN-Play. It seems an undo stress will be put onto the tow brakes and for how long will the brakes be activated. I have a message into the company asking about this issue, when I get an answer I'll be sure to update my finding about it.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #7

THOR #1075
I believe there might be a different system for diesel units such as you have. I saw three different models on their website.

Phil
Old 03-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #8

THOR #3195
Just checked hoped you were right The Air Force One system is for Diesels with air brakes the Duo is for all others with hydralic brakes, I fit into the others .
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
I used the Stay-in-Play (SIP) on 3 different diesels with air brakes including without a problem after I learned to adjust the SIP properly. On our first one I did not have it adjusted and while out west and going down the grades it was applying the brakes too much. I made it less sensitive and it worked fine. I installed the indicator light on the dash that told me when the brakes were being applied and that helped fine tune the adjustment.
I did not get the AF One because I thought each time my next coach might not be a DP and I did not want to buy a new system!
Ref the taillights, the first installation used diodes, the second added a bulb in the tail light fixture and it works fine. I prefer that form.