Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2023, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #21701
Smittybuilt tow bar?

I saw a Smittybuilt tow bar for less than $200 that has the weight capacity to tow my old wrangler , but most you all seem to use the road master or equivalent $2500 tow bars.

Why spend ten times the cost?

What am I missing?

Old 07-12-2023, 01:34 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I bought a Blue Ox Alpha a couple years ago to tow my Wrangler, about $650. They're something north of $1k now.

Wow... $2,500? Must have gold leaf engraving and Bluetooth...
Old 07-12-2023, 01:47 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I bought a top of the line Roadmaster Nighthawk with LED lights a few months ago for $998 brand new off Amazon ( free shipping).

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-67...c-7c68b6c26f63

Where are you shopping Macy's in New York? I don't even believe CW would charge that much.

Me and the Chateau never seem to agree, I didn't like the Blue Ox tow bar because it had chrome drawbars and it would look gawdy on my black Navigator and the black Tow Bar. Someone said, I could have painted it, but I don't think so.

For me it is all about style. This picture shows what my towed look like with and without the drawbars. When the Navigator is my daily driver, no one knows it is or can be a toad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230226_112225.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	42757  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:48 AM   #4

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I bought a Blue Ox Alpha a couple years ago to tow my Wrangler, about $650. They're something north of $1k now.

Or a pre coated was job with life time warranty to re wax twice every year?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-12-2023, 02:02 AM   #5

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Or a pre coated was job with life time warranty to re wax twice every year?
Naa... just a good coat of RejeX and you're good. P.S. Mine's completely black with collapsible rubber boots covering the rams. The big white "Blue Ox" lettering is kinda tacky though. But the price was right for a great quality STURDY tow bar.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:06 AM   #6

THOR #21701
Quote:

I may have been exaggerating, but with the baseplate and lights youíre still close to $2k.

The point is the 200 vs 2000 or 1500 or whatever.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:23 AM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
I may have been exaggerating, but with the baseplate and lights you’re still close to $2k.

I don't get the lights, but you still need either a bumper with hooks rated for towing or a baseplate. Maybe people are included the entire hardware setup?? My entire (self installed) setup including Invisibrake was just over $1,800. I bought my towbar new in box locally for $300 (no it wasn't stolen ).
Old 07-12-2023, 02:24 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Naa... just a good coat of RejeX and you're good. P.S. Mine's completely black with collapsible rubber boots covering the rams. The big white "Blue Ox" lettering is kinda tacky though. But the price was right for a great quality STURDY tow bar.
If I can ever save up enough money to afford the Rejex, I may try it on my Ryobi mower, if it coats and protects from UV and grass, I may then try it on my mailbox; before moving up to the the boat trailer.

I tried to buy a Blue Ox system, but they just failed at every corner for me. I wanted their portable braking system, but didn't like the way it would hit my seat. My seat has something like 30 way positioning, and massaging. I felt like it was just too much electronics and things going on for the wear of the braking force from Blue Ox.

But I called them, and the Tech rep was like, why am I asking her questions, she was like.... she had already asked me if I wanted to buy Worse I hung up and call back a few days later, and the new tech guy kept directing me the local Blue Ox dealers.

Roadmaster was just the opposite. So after great Roadmaster Customer Support, I buy their products and contact 3 or 4 of their loacl dealers based on their website. 2 of them said they don't do Roadmaster products One of them was actually in Houston, Texas even though they showed up for Dallas zip code, the 4th said I had to come by for an estimate, so one day I drive the Navigator 40 min one way. The place while in Plano, Texas looked like a junk yard. When they finally got around to me, the guy said they don't work on RVs

Funny part is that eventually, I would go went direct with a guy that works at a local collision place that does work on the side to install my baseplate, and a Blue Ox dealer that installed my electrical, breakaway, dedicated 12vdc power, and charge line.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:32 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
I may have been exaggerating, but with the baseplate and lights youíre still close to $2k.

Ok, so no more exaggerating show us the links to the s?ittybuilt system for $200? We can start over to try to answer your question.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:38 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
I don't get the lights, but you still need either a bumper with hooks rated for towing or a baseplate. Maybe people are included the entire hardware setup?? My entire (self installed) setup including Invisibrake was just over $1,800. I bought my towbar new in box locally for $300 (no it wasn't stolen ).
My entire setup with labor was $3,200 and that was Feb '23. I bought baseplate from E Trailer for around $430. I got estimates for a low of $6k to a high of $7.5k; so I was pleased with how I did it in bits and pieces. I self installed plugging the 12vdc RVi brake plug into the newly installed dedicated 12vdc receptacle by driver left foot on the floor
Old 07-12-2023, 02:38 AM   #11

THOR #21701
https://www.smittybilt.com/product-s...tow-bar-87450/

Under $200 vs $1000 hitch? What’s the difference ?
Old 07-12-2023, 02:54 AM   #12

THOR #16721
There's a Smittybilt towbar on Amazon for $140. But it's a hitch ball style. You're definitely not going to get the tracking, non-binding towing experience you'd get with the Roadmaster or Blue Ox.

If you REALLY want budget, Harbor Freight sells a 5,000# rated one for $90. But do you REALLY want to tow your Jeep with that?? REALLY?? Maybe out of a ditch or across town... but out on the road??
Old 07-12-2023, 03:10 AM   #13

THOR #21701
[QUOTE=Chateau_Nomad;387299]There's a Smittybilt towbar on Amazon for $140. But it's a hitch ball style. You're definitely not going to get the tracking, non-binding towing experience you'd get with the Roadmaster or Blue Ox.

Thanks, thatís useful info and answers my question.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:00 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
There's a Smittybilt towbar on Amazon for $140. But it's a hitch ball style. You're definitely not going to get the tracking, non-binding towing experience you'd get with the Roadmaster or Blue Ox.

If you REALLY want budget, Harbor Freight sells a 5,000# rated one for $90. But do you REALLY want to tow your Jeep with that?? REALLY?? Maybe out of a ditch or across town... but out on the road??
I tow my Sonic with a $75 Reese towbar and my Colorado with a $120 towbar that I don't think is as good as the Reese. Both connect to a 2" tow ball and track perfectly.

The difference between the "budget" towbars and the expensive tow bars is the retractable arms that allow you to connect them to the toad at any angle with no skill to align the bar. More moving parts and more points of failure. I can put my towbar on the TOAD and drive it right up to the hitch ball. Just like hooking up a trailer except you are driving the trailer and looking directly at the hitch connection point. So easy, even a caveman can do it if he's coordinated enough.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:00 AM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I saw a Smittybuilt tow bar for less than $200 that has the weight capacity to tow my old wrangler , but most you all seem to use the road master or equivalent $2500 tow bars.

Why spend ten times the cost?

What am I missing?
Never heard of it and whatís its history and reputation.

I refuse to put lives on the line over unknown equipment.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:15 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #6433
[QUOTE=Jambalaya;387302]
Quote:

Thanks, thatís useful info and answers my question.
Thatís the old school way of towing and there is nothing wrong with them. People have used those for years. We have the roadmaster falcon all Terrain. We have had it for a while now so think we spent about 600 bucks at the time. Best thing about it is its easy and p store and fold up. You can hook up at just about any angle
Old 07-12-2023, 12:31 PM   #17

THOR #13058
I had never heard of them either. Thanks for Amazon reference

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-87...3-786e4cdc8f10

Other differences I noticed was no built in 7 pin wiring, no draw bars; so not sure how you connect it to the base plate or even if you would have a base plate. I had tow hooks, but removed them for the baseplate and drawbar receivers.

I had a tow bar 2" connector like that on a boat I had years ago, I was near Lake Carlisle IL when I hit a bump and it popped off. I was towing with a Jeep Cherokee. The safety chain saved my arse. The front part of the trailer dug into the pavement and it ruin all the wiring for the lights. I had to drive almost a 1,000 miles with no trailer lights.

I could have bought a used Roadmaster or Blue Ox for $300 and got more and feel safer.

In any case, the 5,000# rating would not work for my toad.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:05 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I had never heard of them either. Thanks for Amazon reference

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-87...3-786e4cdc8f10

Other differences I noticed was no built in 7 pin wiring, no draw bars; so not sure how you connect it to the base plate or even if you would have a base plate. I had tow hooks, but removed them for the baseplate and drawbar receivers.

I had a tow bar 2" connector like that on a boat I had years ago, I was near Lake Carlisle IL when I hit a bump and it popped off. I was towing with a Jeep Cherokee. The safety chain saved my arse. The front part of the trailer dug into the pavement and it ruin all the wiring for the lights. I had to drive almost a 1,000 miles with no trailer lights.

I could have bought a used Roadmaster or Blue Ox for $300 and got more and feel safer.

In any case, the 5,000# rating would not work for my toad.
The "draw bars" come with the baseplate, not the tow bar.

You connect it to the base plate with pins just like any other tow bar.

Wiring is also normally separate from the tow bar as well as safety chains/cables.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:19 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The "draw bars" come with the baseplate, not the tow bar.

You connect it to the base plate with pins just like any other tow bar.

Wiring is also normally separate from the tow bar as well as safety chains/cables.
That makes sense, if I thought hard enough, I may have figured that out.

I guess I was jumping to conclusion on the $200 cost. I don't think you can just pay $200 and start towing anything. OP never established a baseline short of exaggerated comparison. I compared with Nighthawk but Blue Ox and Roadmaster have tow bars for a lot less than $900 off ebay. Plus if you go used you may get a nice system for $300.

For me, given my total cost was $3,200 for everything, even if I got any kind kind of towbar for $400 cheaper, in the big picture it would not be that much savings to get what I thought was the best towbar I could buy. The non binding is big for me because I can just park anywhere close behind RV. I didn't think I would like the LED lights, but they are really cool at night and at gas stations or in the dark. It is enough lighting to see all is hooked up ok without a flashlight.

Regardless if the original post had read....

I saw a Smittybuilt FIXED tow bar for less than $200 that has the weight capacity to tow my old wrangler, but most you all seem to use the road master or equivalent $500 - $900 for NON BINDING tow bars.

It would not have been so dramatic; because the Blue Ox sells brand FIXED for $300

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar/Blue-Ox/BX7322.html

So the real question was why pay $300 - $600 more for Non Binding over Fixed.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:44 PM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Experience dictates.
Generally;
The higher the price the more enhancements.
The more enhancements,
the less skill required.

Some of us have towed quite a few miles with a chain ran through a piece of pipe.

Some of us weigh each corner and hand-wring over individual single psi.

Some of us just do things.
Some of us pay to not have to aquire experiences outside their small comfortable box.
Some have steel walls encompassing that small box just in case something like an alternative idea might try to bash it's way into the box.

Some boxes even have lids made of
A lack of curiosity/want.

Some of us think if someone says;
Think outside of the box,
How sad it must be to have found the sides of your box and have to peer over them.

Some of us could fit 1,000 boxes of other folks in our box and still have room for a rally race(we think this but actually we've never seen our box. Too big to see.)

Buy the $200 bar
Learn
Then add comforts as you feel the need.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote