Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2022, 10:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 25v
State: Florida
THOR #25787
So Far... So Good - our tow dolly experience

About a year ago we sold our 26' travel trailer and the F-150 that towed it. We bought a Chateau 25v. It has the usual hitch and trailer hookup that I guess they all come with. We found a low-mileage KIA Soul that we thought might make a good Toad. Then we found a lightly used Master Tow dolly and bought it. The dolly had made one trip: from New Hampshire to Central Florida. It has the surge brake option. We found the correct height ball-mount and ball combo, and we bought the magnetic tow lights that plug into the flat connecter on the Chateau. We bought a grease gun and greased the wheel bearings on the dolly. Then hooked everything up and drove from Ocala to Savannah to stay ahead of hurricane Ian. Everything worked as expected. No surprises. Getting the car on and off the dolly is a simple task, even in the rain. We did learn to drive the RV and the hooked-up car/dolly combo around the block a couple of times to make sure the straps are tightened properly (they never are at first!) We usually stop for a break every 100 miles or every 90 minutes, and during those stops we made sure everything was staying secure. The penalty for towing is about a half-mile per gallon, at our normal cruising speed of 60 mph. Of all the things that have gone wrong with our new Class C, the addition of the dolly and the toad was not one of them. We bought two cans of touch-up paint from Master Tow, and we keep the dolly looking good, removing and covering any rust spots as they appear. So far we’ve completed three trips towing the car, and doing so has provided us with a great deal more freedom than we have had when traveling without a second vehicle. We would encourage anyone to consider the dolly option to enhance the RV experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kiatow2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	40250  

Old 11-28-2022, 11:05 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Kemp,

Glad the dolly is working for you. I use a Stehl if were not flat towing and it has a lot of miles. When we flat tow we take the Escape otherwise the F150.

I have found the double straps work better than the single with less tightening required. Mine has a surge brake that works well including descending mountain passes.

Regarding the wheel bearings, you have to follow a very strict procedure to ensure that you don't blow out the rear hub seal. Hopefully you are aware of that.

Enjoy the rig on many more trips
Old 11-29-2022, 02:43 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Kemp

We bought an Acme Tow Dolly early last year and used it to dolly tow our Ford Flex from California to Kentucky and back. It work well. It also had the surge braking system. After putting over 6,000 miles, I had to replace both dolly tires due to wear. I ended up selling the tow dolly and have now gone to flat towing with the Blue Ox Tow Bar and base plate. I had the Demco Stay and Play Duo braking system installed on the car. I found that the tow dolly worked but required a lot more attention. I had to get under it each time to install the safety chains every time I needed to use the car or tow it. With the flat towing, it only takes me a few minutes to hook up/ unhook to use the car. The tow dolly purchase was a budget item when we bought it since it is much cheaper to purchase. I ended up selling the tow dolly after using it for one year. I also found that the towed car turns much better with the motor home now on the tow bar system than the tow dolly system. Good luck and enjoy the new freedom with having your car with you on the road.

Paul

Tags
dolly, kia tow car, master tow, towing