Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #23795
Straight tow VW bug

I am ready to tow a 74 bug with my 30 foot Thor A.C.E. I took it for a test tow with my pickup and everything seemed fine. Key in ignition -ON - to unlock the steering, kill switch ON so the battery does not drain, safety chains just in case, all lights working including turn signals. 1800 lbs and no brakes. Can anyone see something I missed?

Thanks for your insight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5138.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	36244  

Old 02-23-2022, 10:32 PM   #2

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
I am ready to tow a 74 bug with my 30 foot Thor A.C.E. I took it for a test tow with my pickup and everything seemed fine. Key in ignition -ON - to unlock the steering, kill switch ON so the battery does not drain, safety chains just in case, all lights working including turn signals. 1800 lbs and no brakes. Can anyone see something I missed?

Thanks for your insight
What about an extra wire to keep your battery charged in the bug
Old 02-24-2022, 12:02 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I did a lot of seat time in my brother's '73 powder blue bug... drove it all summer in 1974 while he was out of town. Cool thing... your ears popped when closing the doors. No American car was that tightly built! Anyway... sweet ride!!
Old 02-24-2022, 12:30 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:

Thanks for your insight
awesome

i had no idea 74 had locking steering

but what a cool toad
Old 02-24-2022, 12:36 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Cool. I towed a bug convertible across the country one time when I was in the USAF. It was easy as pie. If they drove like a modern vehicle I would have one as my dinghy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:49 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Straight tow VW bug

Cool! I’m jealous. Only thing I’d do differently is attach the safety chains to the car instead of just to the tow bar. And I’d use a braking system for the car as well.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #7

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:

Thanks for your insight
I recently had a 70 and towed a lot w a truck. I have a 34E Hurricane, and not sure of the overhang on a 30 Ace, but I would definitely watch that especially thru low or high places into gas stations or even ur home. With the overhang on mine I would not chance hauling my Bug w it. But, maybe the 30 Ace does not have the very high up and down of 34.
I see u have dropped ur hitch very low on ur truck and so did I. But not sure that will work so good on RV. Needs to be low, but sometimes I even drag my hitch in gutters into gas stations and places towing w a 4" drop only for an Edge. Hope it helps, Dennis.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
What about an extra wire to keep your battery charged in the bug

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1645808089
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	36277  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Thanks for your insight
In Oregon the law says you must have a braking system if you can't stop in 40 feet at 20 mph. When you try it wear a helmet so the pots and pans don't hit you in the back of the head when you hit the brakes. lol
Old 03-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #10
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
The picture is a bit tricky but the tow bar seems a bit angled up to me (I know this is just a test rig) .. the more level you can get it, the better it will tow (and stop). Also have to agree with chains going to the frame of the car. No biggie in this case since I know these tow bars clip around the bottom of the axle so chances of them coming off on that side are low ... but still ... that's why you have safety chains .. not just for the coupler.

I seem to recall the need for braking on the toad was somewhere around 1500lb in some states .. my buggy weighs less than that so I never bothered with brakes but yah not sure how much a full beetle weighs and it's been a long time since I looked at the requirements (laws).

The other thing you may have to have in some areas is a break-away device that pulls the brakes on the toad if it gets detached somehow but admittedly, I never bothered to put one on any of mine
Old 03-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #9817
You aren't the only one out there. Seen this one last winter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211118_082908.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	36348  
Old 03-03-2022, 08:53 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:

Thanks for your insight

With that short a tow bar, just how straight does VW have to remain behind motorhome or pickup truck before they hit? I’m just curious.

You asked in another thread in December about experience towing VW or VW dune buggies. I had VW open rail that weighed probably 1,200 pounds or so (never weighed it but could lift front wheels off ground) and it towed extremely easy behind anything including a Mustang.

I towed it without brakes and it wasn’t all that noticeable behind a 3,000 pound Mustang. When towed by my dad’s F-250, around 7,000 pounds, the extra +/- 1,200 pounds was hardly noticeable.

As long as it meets legal requirements, I would not have an issue pulling a VW under 2,000 pounds with a motorhome weighing close to 20,000 pounds.

I recently towed a U-Haul trailer without brakes (much heavier than a VW) over 1,000 miles behind my van and it was fine. I just gave myself a little more stopping distance because trailer was as high as 1/3 weight of van. With motorhome weighing 10 times more than VW, it should pull even easier.