Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4392
Supplemental Braking System for Honda Fit

Can anyone recommend a supplemental Braking System for a 2019 Honda Fit, manual transmission towed behind a Thor Gemini?

The dealer who installed the Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar, also tried installing a Patriot 3 Supplemental braking system.

No matter what modifications we made to the Patriot 3, we could not get it to install and configure the setup.

Blue Ox Customer and Technical Support was of no help.

Can anyone who has installed a supplemental Braking system for a Honda Fit tell me what they used?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m putting a Stay- in-Play in my Focus. It’s some work to install but then it’s always ready to go without setup or storage issues. It’s one of the few proportional systems which, I think, is a worthwhile feature. It would not be difficult to remove if/when you sell the car. I’m also putting a wireless remote monitor in my coach so I will no that it’s working.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
A Fit? At under 2600 lbs this should be all you need:

But if you'd feel more comfortable with more there are numerous systems that should work; you just have to follow the directions.

Try looking on Etrailer.com:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We have the road master invisibrake in our Jeep and the system works great. The control sits under the seat and everything is out of the way. Just plug in the power cord and call it good
Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
+1 on the Invisibrake. A bit fiddly to install, but once in it's unobtrusive and works great.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

THOR #4392
Thanks for all your replies and working with a first-time poster to this forum.

It appears that installing a permanently mounted system such as the Invisibrake or the Stay-In-Play in the Honda Fit will be the way to go.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcassidy View Post
...No matter what modifications we made to the Patriot 3, we could not get it to install and configure the setup. Blue Ox Customer and Technical Support was of no help...

That seems odd. I've toured the Blue Ox factory and it's a great company. Did you talk to them about your issues, or did the dealer tell you they called them and got no help?

We have the no longer available USGear Unified Tow Brake system on our toad, and it is so easy to connect. We tend to connect and disconnect our toad a lot. Many folks get along just fine with portable units, too, and you save the install effort or cost.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcassidy View Post
Thanks for all your replies and working with a first-time poster to this forum.

It appears that installing a permanently mounted system such as the Invisibrake or the Stay-In-Play in the Honda Fit will be the way to go.
It’s costs a little more but it’s really a no worries system once it’s installed. I would say if you don’t plan on keep the car for a long time a portable unit might be Better
Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #9

THOR #4392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
That seems odd. I've toured the Blue Ox factory and it's a great company. Did you talk to them about your issues, or did the dealer tell you they called them and got no help?

We have the no longer available USGear Unified Tow Brake system on our toad, and it is so easy to connect. We tend to connect and disconnect our toad a lot. Many folks get along just fine with portable units, too, and you save the install effort or cost.
Yes. Both the dealer and I contacted Blue Ox.
Customer Service assured both of us that the Patriot 2/3 would fit and asked us to make some modifications to the Patriot and get back to them on the results.

After two hours of the dealer trying to configure the Patriot 3, on the phone with Customer Support and sending them pictures, they appeared to have run out of ideas.
For whatever reason, Blue Ox would not let us escalate the issue to their Engineering dept.

Upon going home, I contacted Ellen Kietzmann's office, telling her I was not happy with the lack of support I received from Blue Ox.

Long story short, yesterday the Engineering Dept at Blue Ox, got a hold of a Honda Fit and verified that the Patriot 2/3 is too large for the Honda Fit's floorpan and we should look at other manufacturers supplemental braking systems.

Do Blue Ox ultimately do the right thing?
Yes (after my contacting the President of the company).

Do most dealers have two days to spend on an issue of this type?
No (I'm sure most dealers would have tried to install the Patriot 2/3, found it didn't fit and talked the customer into purchasing a permanently installed unit).

Tags
blue ox, honda fit, patriot 3