Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Kbs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum pd31
State: Florida
THOR #12223
Supplemental lights for tow dolly?

Hi
Thinking about a tow dolly to haul our murano for long trips behind 31 Class C.

Do I need supplemental tail and break lights on towed vehicle or are the lights on the acme dolly sufficient? Heading out west this spring (ca, or, wash) and all point in between from Fl.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #2

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Hi
Thinking about a tow dolly to haul our murano for long trips behind 31 Class C.

Do I need supplemental tail and break lights on towed vehicle or are the lights on the acme dolly sufficient? Heading out west this spring (ca, or, wash) and all point in between from Fl.

I have the same question & also whether I need a license plate for the dolly.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I think it depends on the state
But in California...
No license needed on the dolly
No additional lights needed on the vehicle being towed (only the tow dolly lights)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Model: windsport 29x
THOR #12558
Depends on the state, Florida doesn't require dolly plates and no titles involved, only certificate of origin and I sure wouldn't buy a used dolly without one.

As far as lights go I use supplemental on my dolly. Most states I checked on have a law about the distance of an item (vehicle) overhanging out past the taillights. Most I've seen are 3 to 5 feet. I don't tow after dark but I feel safer with an extra pair of lights back there and it only adds a couple more minutes to the hook up. We are retired so there is no big hurry--I love smelling the roses.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 AM   #5

THOR #12558
Just noticed your talking about a Nissan Murano. Aren't some of those available with AWD? If it's FWD your probably ok but if yours is AWD, not sure. You should check your owners manual about dolly towing in either case.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Kbs

THOR #12223
Hi

Thanks for the insight on the lights. Our murano is fwd so towing is ok. Did you use a splitter from the rv power plug to add your extra lights ? Are the lights inside or outside and how did you route the wires? Wondering what the wind does to them when rolling down the road. Sorry for the extra questions

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
We use a splitter for the dolly and the toad. Camping world is doing a $59 installation deal right now. So I had them install the universal towed car light kit. It uses diodes to utilize your car lights rather than putting magnetic lights on the top.

We have always used the magnetic lights in the past. Had very little issue with them, but seems like some of them don't have great magnets. And you have to store them. Now my car is wired just like it would be for four down, and I cn carry kayaks on top without worrying about space.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 AM   #8

THOR #12558
I just use magnet lights right now. (I usually tow a Mazda CX5 on the dolly) I have two sets, one set sticks on the rear roof. The other set if I use instead, stick to the rear hatch on either side of the licence plate. Whichever I use, I run the wire through the inside of the car out the pass. side door under the hood and out to the grill to the dolly tongue to an extra connector that I tied into the main dolly light harness by the surge brake assy. This way both the dolly and magnetic lights work at the same time. (Very little wire is outside the car so it doesn't flop around on the car.) I keep everything, tiedowns, lights, and wrench in a little bag in the MH and it's not a big deal to me to hook up - I have the extra couple of minutes.
I would like to wire the car so I can use it's taillights and get rid of the magnetic lights and wiring as other people have done but the holdup is I have a couple of different cars available to tow. That too, is one reason I dolly tow instead of 4 down is because I like the almost unlimited variety of vehicles and the fact that DW won't drive a stick shift anymore.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Each state has different requirements. For instance Alabama does not require a tag on a boat trailer but does require a tag on a dolly - go figure!

A state trooper told me I would never get stopped if the dolly had working lights. But for safety purposes I decided to get a Towmate wireless light. You can buy a 7-pin to 4 & 5 pin adapter at WM. The top plugs on the 5-pin side function just like a 4-pin adapter so you can power the dolly and the Towmate from it.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #10
Kbs

THOR #12223
Ok added lights

Hi

Found a great deal on an acme tow dolly and the owner threw in magnetic lights. Did our first trip towing the murano and it went well.
Second trip is to head west for a couple of months. Should be fun
Thanks for the input
K