Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #10644
Thor Outlaw-A w/v10 pulling a Gladiator?

I'm about to permanently relocate from the northeast to the southwest.
I'll be driving my Outlaw 37RB across country to its new home.
I could pay out the nose to get my Gladiator there, but what's your opinion of pulling it 4down with the RV? According to the specs, the truck is 144 lbs over the 5k lb limit. I'm not set up for a toad, but if I knew this was not too much to ask of the RV, I think I would outfit it and the Gladiator so I could do it on occasion.

FWIW; The RV is a 2016 model 37RB with 16k miles. The heaviest load I ever tried was a 800lb motorcycle in the garage and I did that on a regular basis.
Of course I would not do that in combination with the Gladiator, and I would lighten the load everywhere else too. Carry minimal water, cargo, etc..

Opinions?

Old 09-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

I pulled my Gladiator behind a 30 foot class C with the V10 and an 8000 pound hitch for thousands of miles over all sorts of terrain with no problem. I haven't towed it yet behind our class A and don't anticipate any problems.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I think your 5k limit is your hitch: back in 2016 Thor was installing 5k hitches. After that they started putting 8k hitches on the coaches.

Of course you also want to make sure you don't go over GCWR (coach weight + toad weight < GCWR).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I believe the tow capacity is 4K based on GCWR - GVWR. Doesn’t matter what the hitch is rated at although a 2016 should have a 7 or 8 k hitch.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmichel View Post
I could pay out the nose to get my Gladiator there, but what's your opinion of pulling it 4down with the RV? According to the specs, the truck is 144 lbs over the 5k lb limit. I'm not set up for a toad, but if I knew this was not too much to ask of the RV, I think I would outfit it and the Gladiator so I could do it on occasion.

FWIW; The RV is a 2016 model 37RB with 16k miles. The heaviest load I ever tried was a 800lb motorcycle in the garage and I did that on a regular basis.
Of course I would not do that in combination with the Gladiator, and I would lighten the load everywhere else too. Carry minimal water, cargo, etc..

Opinions?
Before I bought the 4 down towing equipment, I would weight the Jeep. Most trucks weight considerably more than the listed curb weight. My 61 Chevy's curb weight is listed at 2,440 lbs, but is weighs 3,020 with my 170 lbs in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0604_125025AA.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	33459  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #6

THOR #10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Before I bought the 4 down towing equipment, I would weight the Jeep. Most trucks weight considerably more than the listed curb weight. My 61 Chevy's curb weight is listed at 2,440 lbs, but is weighs 3,020 with my 170 lbs in it.

Ok, this brings up a good point.
I've had my class-A since 2016 and never used a scale at a Love's, etc..
I know that I should probably already know this, but I gotta ask...
How would I do that? Like, what's the etiquette..(or, how do I not look like a total rookie when trying to weigh my RV)?
Old 09-09-2021, 12:32 AM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Before I would consider a one time tow, go to eTrailer.com and price out what you’ll need. Baseplate, towbar,brake buddy, charge line, lighting kit, cables and possibly a drop receiver. And labor if you can’t do it.
Then call a transport carrier and compare costs.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:06 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Before I would consider a one time tow, go to eTrailer.com and price out what you’ll need. Baseplate, towbar,brake buddy, charge line, lighting kit, cables and possibly a drop receiver. And labor if you can’t do it.
Then call a transport carrier and compare costs.
This is one of the most intelligent posts I have ever seen on this forum.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #9

THOR #10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
This is one of the most intelligent posts I have ever seen on this forum.
I actually did do this before my original post. However, I didn't do it using etrailer pricing, but the RV dealership quote that would do the work.
When using etrailer, the price came to $1647, before labor, discounts, coupons, etc.. compared to the dealer's "all-in" quote of $2450.
Before I even bother with the labor estimate of buying everything from etrailer and finding someone to do the work, a transport wants $3600 !!!
You see where I'm going with this?!

This was a no-brainer before my post and this new data re-confirms that.
Plus, I get the added benefit of having the hardware in case I ever want to move the Gladiator again.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I can’t believe the first two prices include a ,brake system. Brake systems pricing is 800 to 1200 dollars alone. And at the 5000 lbs you’ll definetly need one.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22435
Just follow the signs to where the trucks fill up and you should see a huge cat scale sign up in the air near the semi diesel pumps. There will be a designated lane for weighing. Pull up and make sure you are more or less even on the plates with your front axel on one and rear on another. Once situated there will be a call button and someone will respond over the speaker. Tell them you want to be weighed. They will let you know when finished and you can pick the print out up at the register. Costs around $11-12 if I remember correctly. You can find all cat scale locations by looking online. Good luck!

Quote:
Ok, this brings up a good point.
I've had my class-A since 2016 and never used a scale at a Love's, etc..
I know that I should probably already know this, but I gotta ask...
How would I do that? Like, what's the etiquette..(or, how do I not look like a total rookie when trying to weigh my RV)?
Old 09-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Thinking outside the toad box....
Do you have an SO who could just drive the Gladiator? Or a friend who would do it for the meals/adventure on the road, and a cheap flight home?
Old 09-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #13

Model: outlaw 37rb
State: California
THOR #5223
Weighing at CAT scale

We use our outlaw to carry set-up and merchandise for craft/art shows and always tow a vehicle. We have weighed at the truck scale and here is one piece of advice: as posted, just pull onto the scales, each axle on a pad, press the intercom button. I am asked for an invoice number - truckers need their invoice number on the scale receipt - so I make up a short number and say "thank you." Pull off, park and go in to cashier and ask for your weigh ticket, giving him or her your invoice number. Simple and safe.
LOL a friend would weigh his trailer each year and report to his wife how many pounds over last year that they were. She would laugh and thin down all the extra stuff.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:44 AM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #15940
Quote:

Opinions?
take the spare tire, jack etcetera out of the Gladiator and put it in the class A and then you should be under 5,000 lb. Obviously don't fill up the gas tank. I towed a Ford Expedition that was right around 5000 pounds for years and never had a problem. Now I tow a F150 but I have an 8000 lb hitch.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustin View Post
We use our outlaw to carry set-up and merchandise for craft/art shows and always tow a vehicle. We have weighed at the truck scale and here is one piece of advice: as posted, just pull onto the scales, each axle on a pad, press the intercom button. I am asked for an invoice number - truckers need their invoice number on the scale receipt - so I make up a short number and say "thank you." Pull off, park and go in to cashier and ask for your weigh ticket, giving him or her your invoice number. Simple and safe.
LOL a friend would weigh his trailer each year and report to his wife how many pounds over last year that they were. She would laugh and thin down all the extra stuff.
Get the CAT Scale app and eliminate all the interaction with the operator.