Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Tips on towing gear

Have a 35 ft Thor and now getting around towing our new Ford C-Max . Looking for suggestions on reasonable tow system. Any tips or good dealers to deal with. The thing that’s getting me is prices on braking systems. I guess it’s operative to have one

Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
An excellent reference is available here.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9713
I recently purchased a towing system from Hitchsource, I bought the Blue ox alpha towbar, and the baseplate for my Jeep Wrangler as well. They were excellent to work with and had the best prices I had found. I wound up finding a braking system at my local rv dealer, it was the blue ox patriot, it was an older model , not the patriot 2 , so I was able to get it at a discounted cost. It was brand new, but needed a new battery so it was sent back to the factory for that and I got the same warranty as new. Very pleased....I figured last years model was fine for my needs. Check around with rv dealers and you may find a deal.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Purchased and installed my system on the jeep at Eckharts in Oxnard. They did a very good job. Not sure if they are nationwide.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Just had the Road Master Falcon II and Invisi-brake system installed by Elkhart Hitch Shop in Elkhart, In. The hour and a half drive back home was a great test of the system, city traffic, State roads, county roads, hills (one from a dead stop) smooth and rough roads. The 26' Quantum on an E350 chassis didn't know the Liberty was back there. No sway, no push, V10 handled it fine. Brake system worked flawless. 10-15 minute hook up or disconnect. No set up required on brake system and nothing to put in or take out of the toad.
Highly recommended.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

THOR #6832
Thanks that’s it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Just had the Road Master Falcon II and Invisi-brake system installed by Elkhart Hitch Shop in Elkhart, In. The hour and a half drive back home was a great test of the system, city traffic, State roads, county roads, hills (one from a dead stop) smooth and rough roads. The 26' Quantum on an E350 chassis didn't know the Liberty was back there. No sway, no push, V10 handled it fine. Brake system worked flawless. 10-15 minute hook up or disconnect. No set up required on brake system and nothing to put in or take out of the toad.
Highly recommended.
Thank you I imagine it cost bout 2500
Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

THOR #6832
Thanks guess bout 2500
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
We have a Jeep Wrangler and a Thor Windsport 29M. After a lot of research I chose the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking system. I liked the simplicity and the fact there is no electronics (except for the lights) involved. I never towed anything before so I was some what apprehensive. We picked up the rv and Jeep on Saturday after the install and towed the Jeep home. I could not even tell the toad was there and the Ready Brute worked flawlessly.Sunday we hooked up the Jeep again for another test run and it took about 10 minutes and all was well with no problems. We had removed the tow bar completely from the rv so we could do a complete install. I would suggest you YouTube your choices to see the systems at work. Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

THOR #10823
With everything including installation, tax, a cover for the tow bar and locking pins it was $3600.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
Have a 35 ft Thor and now getting around towing our new Ford C-Max . Looking for suggestions on reasonable tow system. Any tips or good dealers to deal with. The thing that’s getting me is prices on braking systems. I guess it’s operative to have one
guess it depends on what'cha mean by 'reasonable'... I'm not sure if that's 'price', or 'quality', or 'easy installation', or 'easy to use', or 'light vs heavy', or ...??

both of our Fiesta and Focus baseplates and tail light wiring kits have been installed at ~$300, one in Florida and the other in Georgia, both at 4wd/truck accessory shops - they do modifications all the time and can handle it quickly and easily.

and, as for supplemental breaking systems, it depends on whether you need one or not, or just want one because you think you have to have one.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
In most states a braking system for your toad is not a choice but the law.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #12

THOR #10823
I see a lot of discussion on supplemental brake systems and if they are needed or not. Yes, they are expensive. No doubt about that, so are motorhomes. In my case it was an easy decision. Indiana law says 3000 pounds or more you shall have one. A Jeep Liberty weights 3500-4200 pounds depending on model so I can't legally leave my driveway without one, simple choice. Other states are different, North Carolina, I believe requires brakes on anything over 1000 pounds. You should check your state laws and those where you plan to travel prior to making your decision.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #13

THOR #6832
Thanks all

A lot of great feedback
Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
I don’t own stock or have any interest but etrailer does free install and their prices are reasonable