Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #9280
Deciding on Towing a Car with Gemini 23TR

Does anyone have experience with towing a car with a 2017 Gemini 23TR - GVWR 10360 and GCWR 13500 - trying to decide on future trips and whether towing makes sense - thanks for any experiences!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
I'm towing a 2009 Mini 4 Wheels down. With my 2017 Gemini 23TR. Roadmaster baseplate, all terrain tow bar and invisabrake installed all myself. Took a while but don't trust someone else doing it. Leaving for Destin Fl for a week with Mini on tow. I've pulled it once on a short trip and had no problems.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I have a 2017 Gemini 24TX, different chassis and drive train, but similar size. I have towed our Chevy HHR with it, but I am not comfortable towing over any grade of any consequence. I therefore limit towing to short local trips that do not involve any mountain driving, or any major grades. With the HHR connected I am right at the limit of CGVW, and being the cautious type, I prefer reserves. Your chassis has a slightly lower CGVW then mine, so be very careful with your weight.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I don't have a small RV, but we did alot of vacations not having a tow vehicle to venture out with. For me it would depend on length of stay at the campground. If you only stay a couple days and move on, I wouldn't bother with a toad. Your small RV is very manuverable for going to the store/exploring the area. If you plan on staying at campgrounds for 2 wks or more at a time, take a small car so you don't have to setup/break camp continually. And, a small car won't drain your hill climbing performance like a heavier vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We too previously had a 41 foot DP bus, which is when I bought the HHR and set up to tow. Did that for years, and of course with the DP having the car back there was not noticeable. Different story with the Gemini, which is also set up to tow. We just got back from a couple of trips, and in both cases I rented an econobox which worked out well for us. As pointed out the Gemini is small enough that it can be used for provisioning etc. It fits in parking lots and parking spaces.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since weight limitations are a serious consideration when towing with this rig: why not try to find a used Smart Car?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Smart Car or a 500e for cheap (the 500e has the bonus that you can charge it up at the campground ).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #8

Model: Sprinter Citation
State: Louisiana
THOR #6092
I have 15,000 miles towing my 2014 Smart car with the 2017 Citation 24SS. It weighs in at 1,900 lbs and you hardly know its back there. Works well for the DW and I.
Slidell, Louisiana
Scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfdchief24 View Post
I'm towing a 2009 Mini 4 Wheels down. With my 2017 Gemini 23TR. Roadmaster baseplate, all terrain tow bar and invisabrake installed all myself. Took a while but don't trust someone else doing it. Leaving for Destin Fl for a week with Mini on tow. I've pulled it once on a short trip and had no problems.

Did not have any major issues towing toad to Destin and back. Was nice having transportation without breaking down RV. Only issue was had bike rack on the rear of Mini with my Wife's E-bike and my bike. With both bikes you could not see the running and brake lights so we left the wife's bike behind. I'm looking into the hitch for the RV that allows the bike rack above the toad hitch.