Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Questions About Managing a Tow Dolly

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to buy a Vegas 25.4 if all goes well. The plan is to tow my car (2006 Subaru Outback, manual transmission, right now) to have a car with me as well as to hold up my kayak so I can always travel with that too. I have ruled out flat towing due to expense and lack of flexibility for when I get another car. So best solution for me seems to be a lightweight tow dolly, maybe an Ez tow. Many questions about how to manage this, is it practical, I'm on my own no partner to help out:

1. At the camp ground:
a. Presumably you unload car prior to pulling in?
b. Do you simply leave the tow dolly hitched or not?
c. If you have to back in or our with dolly attached, is this a problem?
d. Can you stow the dolly under the rear of the Vegas as in is there enough clearance there? If not, where do you stow it? Is there a concern about it being stolen?

2. Re: the dolly itself:
a. With a lightweight one, (like the EZ tow), can you easily move it around on your own to get it out of the way at a camp ground or to put in in your garage, etc. of is it too heavy?

3. Angle of car and the kayak on top:
a. Are there implications of me having my kayak strapped to my car top rails when the car is on the tow dolly at an angle as in the kayak being more prone to slipping off due to the downward pressure due to the angle?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As far as unloading, will depend on the length of the site, in a long one you won't have to unhook or unload. Dollies are usually light weight and can be moved easily by hand. You will want to get a dolly with either surge brakes (easiest) or electric brakes, it's the law in almost every state to have some type of braking system.

Backing up can be tricky but it can be done, carefully, since the pivot between the ball and wheels is very short. A good quality trailer lock like a Master Lock is a good theft deterrent, nothing is foolproof!!!

Sorry, but can't help with the kayak answer, guess it depends on if the bow extends beyond the nose of your car.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is your Subaru front wheel drive? (I had thought that all Subaru's are all-wheel-drive)

If it is AWD I doubt you'll be able to pull it on a dolly.

Having said that: We use the EZ-Tow.
At the campground:
I will usually unload it in front waiting to check in--unless we get a pull through site. If I have a pull through site I'll just wait and unload it at the site. It really depends on the campground we're staying at and where is it the easiest to unload/load.

Once unloaded I pull up to the campsite ready to back in. Unhitch the dolly and walk it back to where I want the rear of the camper to be. Then I back in on top of the dolly.

Yes you can store it under the rear:

Here is our C-Max on the dolly:

Not sure how a kayak would be affected by that. You do have some options, though: Since the 25.4 has a ladder you could hang the kayak off that or even strap it to the roof of the camper.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to buy a Vegas 25.4 if all goes well. The plan is to tow my car (2006 Subaru Outback, manual transmission, right now) to have a car with me as well as to hold up my kayak so I can always travel with that too. I have ruled out flat towing due to expense and lack of flexibility for when I get another car. So best solution for me seems to be a lightweight tow dolly, maybe an Ez tow. Many questions about how to manage this, is it practical, I'm on my own no partner to help out:

1. At the camp ground:
a. Presumably you unload car prior to pulling in?
b. Do you simply leave the tow dolly hitched or not?
c. If you have to back in or our with dolly attached, is this a problem?
d. Can you stow the dolly under the rear of the Vegas as in is there enough clearance there? If not, where do you stow it? Is there a concern about it being stolen?

2. Re: the dolly itself:
a. With a lightweight one, (like the EZ tow), can you easily move it around on your own to get it out of the way at a camp ground or to put in in your garage, etc. of is it too heavy?

a. Are there implications of me having my kayak strapped to my car top rails when the car is on the tow dolly at an angle as in the kayak being more prone to slipping off due to the downward pressure due to the angle?
I am moving from tow dolly to flat towing due to vehicle purchases.

1a and b. If I have a pull thru I keep the car connected until I want to use it.
1c. With a back in site I unload the car and disconnect the dolly, especially if the dolly has surge brakes.
1d. the tongue of the dolly can go under the coach but see 1a & b above.

2. My Master Tow is somewhat larger than the EZ Tow and I move it all over by myself. Rolled it about 50 feet in the yard yesterday.

3. I would be concerned about air getting inside the kayak and the wind force ripping your luggage rack or other mount off the top of the car at speed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

THOR #5196
I would think that with the kayak right side up and securely strapped to the roof you should be ok. I have seen several people with kayaks going down the highway at 70+
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah looks like you can flat tow your Subaru but not dolly tow it:
Towing Subaru behind RV - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I carry 1 or 2 kayaks on top of my Acadia on Yakima (bow down) racks - on their sides facing out...
Never had any issue with movement, etc - and certainly traveled at (over...) 70mph... I wouldn't be concerned with the same setup being towed - though that vehicle isn't my flat tow (can't be with AWD and automatic for that vehicle) - and my Jeep flat tow is a soft top, so haven't been able to haul them on that either.

Be more concerned with Canoe and how it straps down - as I keep a much closer eye on it while hauling on top (center, front, rear straps holding it against foam blocks on the rack.) I've had to stop as I've seen movement through the sunroof before.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah looks like you can flat tow your Subaru but not dolly tow it:
Towing Subaru behind RV - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
That is correct. I had a manual Outback, and that can be flat towed with the transmission in neutral. I has to have all 4 wheels on the ground when towing. when I was ready to replace the outback two years ago, I found out that Subaru is not selling Outbacks with manual transmission any more in the US. Here I was, with all my nice flat towing stuff. Luckily I was able to sell it for an OK price. I replaced the Subaru with a KIA Sorento, with FWD and pull that on a tow dolly. I have a trailer hitch on the Sorento and pull the tow dolly around with that if it cannot fit at the same site as the motorhome.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW - late last year Subaru came out and said none of their cars, regardless of trans, should be flat or dolly towed except in emergencies.

Not sure if that statement was retroactive or going forward only.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut...

I don't know either, but will just mention that there is a lot more to consider than the downward angle due to dolly.

The motorhome itself will provide a lot of protection against wind to your car and most items on a roof rack, but at same time there is a lot of turbulence behind a motorhome (or any big truck) so wind direction may not be as predictable as we may first assume.

If you end up flat towing or on a trailer, the same questions would concern me. I doubt whether the kayak is level versus at a slight angle makes much difference. The wind drag itself and turbulence would concern me more, although I expect total drag forces are lower than if driving vehicle down the road at same speed without an RV to block the wind. I'm just guessing though.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:18 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I towed a RAV4 on a dolly with a kayak on top at 60+. I have foam pads at front and rear crossrails and two ratchet straps across from side rail to side rail. Plus, at the rear, there are 1/4 inch nylon lines from the kayak mooring loop forward to each rail. This is my belt and suspenders insurance against the kayak sliding aft. About 4500 miles so far with this and no problems so far. The only times I have backed the dolly it was empty and hitched to the RAV4 or by hand power.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #12

THOR #4548
Smile Thanks for the thoughtful responses

Sorry for the delay. For some reason, I didn't see you all responses till now.

Much appreciated, great info, still considering options unless it does turn out that the tow dolly option will not work for my all wheel drive. Will look more into that.

I did just get my offer accepted on a new 2017 Vegas 25.4!!! Will be coming from factory to Oregon so probably a few months from now.

I know I'm in the only- person -who -bought -that- floorplan camp but it's just me, this version has the most basement storage and likely more up-top as well and that appealed to me. I also wanted the additional space that the slider affords in the living area so I get that with the slide out dinette and I wanted the dinette vs the couch so there ya go.

thanks again all,

look forward to ongoing posts on the forum as I get up and running

- karen
Old 02-21-2017, 03:51 AM   #13

THOR #4548
Wow, I'm just seeing your link now. That's bad news as I was hoping for the tow dolly option over having to spend a bloody fortune to have my now old car outfitted for towing.

thanks for finding the thread for me
Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #14

THOR #5196
Just this weekend saw a Jeep toad with 2 kayaks on the roof mounted on their sides, looked like a Yakima rack.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I used to dolly tow a Pontiac Sunbird (FWD) installed a hitch on the Sunbird so I could also move the tow dolly around with the car once at the campground or when at home and I need to bring the tow dolly home after dropping off my truck for service (only one driver in the house). The flexibility of using a tow dolly for non-RVing purposes came in handy especially with my teenagers cars breaking down and needing to get the cars back home.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #16

THOR #4548
Confirming that all wheel drive is not compatible with tow dolly???

Schreinertms:

Thanks, that's good info about having to do things solo and flexibility. Are you saying your Pontiac was all wheel drive? You said four wheel drive? What's the difference?

It seems as if there's a compelling reason why one cannot use a tow dolly with all wheel drive a.k.a. my Subaru Outback (very disappointing for me to find out after I finally decided that the dolly method is what I'd prefer for a whole hose of reasons).
Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #17
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
FWD = Front Wheel Drive
4WD = 4 Wheel Drive
AWD = All Wheel Drive

Generally, with rare exceptions, a dolly requires Front Wheel Drive
Old 02-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Quote:
Schreinertms:

Thanks, that's good info about having to do things solo and flexibility. Are you saying your Pontiac was all wheel drive? You said four wheel drive? What's the difference?

It seems as if there's a compelling reason why one cannot use a tow dolly with all wheel drive a.k.a. my Subaru Outback (very disappointing for me to find out after I finally decided that the dolly method is what I'd prefer for a whole hose of reasons).
I think that his FWD meant front wheel drive, not four wheel drive.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
For the Sunbird - I'm sure FWD meant FRONT wheel drive... and not FOUR (typically 4WD)...
FWD can typically be dolly towed... and if manual transmission - can often be flat towed (but not always)

AWD vehicles are not designed to have one pair of wheels going 70 - and the other pair stationary...

4WD units with a 'transfer case neutral' can typically be flat towed - but (at least in my case - Jeep Wrangler) cannot be dolly towed - again transfer case expects all wheels to be moving at about same speed.

The final answer is in the owners manual - thought FCMA seems to do a good job tracking/updating as things change.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Yes, FWD meant Front Wheel Drive which are the only vehicles that can be towed via a tow dolly.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote