Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Citation 24SR
State: Mississippi
THOR #8834
This occurs in my 2014 Chevy Spark

I to have to disconnect the battery & reconnect it when I get to campground.

When you switch your key to accessory juice is being used by on star plus many other vampire electrical things.

This is normal in modern vehicles today.

I was told you could just put the key into the ignition & not turn it to Accessory & no ill effect would occur. I haven't tryed this & would do more research before you do this.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:24 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becie View Post
The pros who installed my invisibrake system told me to turn the key to the notch where the dash lights come on (acc), then turn the key toward you one notch (on). My toad is a 2004 Jeep Liberty manual transmission with 4wd. Good luck.
What is the purpose? InvisiBrake gets its power from the MH brake light feed on the 7 pin. With the MH parking or headlights on the InvisiBrake charges the TOAD’s battery.

Are you sure your installer was a pro?
Old 08-30-2020, 01:45 AM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDZU50 View Post
I to have to disconnect the battery & reconnect it when I get to campground.

When you switch your key to accessory juice is being used by on star plus many other vampire electrical things.

This is normal in modern vehicles today.

I was told you could just put the key into the ignition & not turn it to Accessory & no ill effect would occur. I haven't tryed this & would do more research before you do this.
Does your Spark have a steering wheel lock? That would be the only reason I could see to turn the key to the ACC position.

My Sonic does not have a steering wheel lock so after making sure it is in neutral I turn the key off and remove it, then close and lock the vehicle.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:17 AM   #24
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I don't care what break system is in my toad. I always have installed a DC to DC converter/charger to isolate the RV +12DC and the toad. My toad always had a totally charged battery and never has been dead doing it this way. I never liked directly connecting the RV +12DC directly to the toad battery. Before doing it this way, I had a blown fuse in the RV that I had to locate and yes a dead battery. Only happened once.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #25

State: Arizona
THOR #14604
I’m not explaining what the power source is, merely the key position to keep the steering wheel free. Just trying trying to help the guy out with his battery drain issue. Didn’t mean to upset you so.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #13886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I have to pull two fuses on my 2017 Buick Envision in order not to drain the battery while towing.

As long as you ensure your brake, tail and signal lights are working, that sounds like a good technique.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #27

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
I agree with MLP. I have an RVi brake, professionally installed, and my towed (F150) battery died when I towed with a one night stop (two days connected without any changes or disconnects). I installed a kit (under $100) to charge my towed battery from the 12 volt line from the motorhome, and have had no problems since then, even during a three day tow with no disconnects or F150 starts or disengagement. My cable is a 7 pin connector on the MH to a 6 pin connector on the F150; all wiring is through this cable.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:31 AM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #794
Our solution to the battery discharge problem is to stop every couple hours and let the toad run for 10-15 minutes while we take a break