Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
TOAD Lighting Options

You don’t say what your toad is but I found the easiest way to do it is add a separate bulb in the taillights. I have done this on both my previous mini and my present Chevy Spark. Then the toad is wired same as a trailer. This way you don’t touch the factory wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B46C2663-8ACA-4753-9360-F9C8C4078D65.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	36621  

Old 03-26-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
You don’t say what your toad is but I found the easiest way to do it is add a separate bulb in the taillights. I have done this on both my previous mini and my present Chevy Spark. Then the toad is wired same as a trailer. This way you don’t touch the factory wiring.
He has another thread where the light options were discussed in depth:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9...hts-30144.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
I like your Toad light concept
I, too, have a Spark. Currently use magnetic lights but looking to add the Blue Ox light kit.
Just ordered on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39D9C74D-E982-43F5-A8A4-1D95E2A5C946.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	36680  
Old 03-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I like your Toad light concept
I, too, have a Spark. Currently use magnetic lights but looking to add the Blue Ox light kit.
Just ordered on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V...KIKX0DER&psc=1
This is what we use a little more work, but NO cutting, splicing the toads wire + no diodes needed.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I did my Spark with a similar kit, inserting new dedicated bulbs into the tail light housings. There is plenty of room and the whole thing seemed a lot more satisfactory than cutting open the factory wiring harness. I bought mine from Etrailer and I chose the LED kit because it’s brighter and lasts longer - no bulbs to change someday.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:01 PM   #6

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #30293
I know this is an old thread however in setting up my explorer for flat tow. I ran a trailer light wire from front to back ( up front wired into the 6 pin connector along with Battery charge kit from amazon to trickle charge toad when on road) back the frame underneath to rear up inside and put on a plug ( with LEDs to show power) and then made my own magnetic LED roof lights to put above the hatch to be seen by anyone ( they have side markers) and kept all wiring separated from the rig) plug in and place and done. TOAD wiring UNTOUCHED
Old 10-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I did the additional bulb option on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee and if I were to do it today, I would use LED bulbs. However, if your TOAD has LED lighting already the additional bulb option may not work because there will be no place to put it. My 2020 Jeep Gladiator is set up with diodes from roadmaster and works just fine. I my case I had Camping World install the light wiring at the same time the brake system and towbar baseplate was installed. I understand that many are trying to save money but still when you consider that cost of having this equipment installed is a drop in the bucket compared to the $100,000.00 or more you will spend for a new or even a used late model motorhome.

If you are still dead set against taping into the TOAD wiring for lights you can get a set of lights with a magnetic base that you can stick on the back of the TOAD I think you might even be able to get a wireless version that will work without an umbilical.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I did the additional bulb option on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee and if I were to do it today, I would use LED bulbs. However, if your TOAD has LED lighting already the additional bulb option may not work because there will be no place to put it. My 2020 Jeep Gladiator is set up with diodes from roadmaster and works just fine. I my case I had Camping World install the light wiring at the same time the brake system and towbar baseplate was installed. I understand that many are trying to save money but still when you consider that cost of having this equipment installed is a drop in the bucket compared to the $100,000.00 or more you will spend for a new or even a used late model motorhome.

If you are still dead set against taping into the TOAD wiring for lights you can get a set of lights with a magnetic base that you can stick on the back of the TOAD I think you might even be able to get a wireless version that will work without an umbilical.
Yep!

I used the add-a-bulb option to my Sonic but didn't want to do that or tape into wiring with the Colorado. I got this wireless/magnetic light set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9SB45M

The title description is screwed up now - it is the entire set, not just a replacement lense - and of course, Amazon has taken away the ability to report incorrect product descriptions and titles.

I put the Energizer lithium batteries in them which lasted two years, but instead of replacing them when they died I modified the connections to use a rechargeable Lithium battery pack like in RC cars and airplanes. Works great, I recharge them once a year whether needed or not and use them on the Sonic as well now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote