RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2019, 03:08 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,858
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hey Chance ! good to hear from you ! As most everyone knows, we have towed motorcycles for many years and just made the switch to a Wrangler Sport TJ .. as we aged, the motorcycle was less desirable when we were at our destination...we bought an older model got her setup to tow and LOVE THAT JEEP !! Now, when we arrive at our destination, we unhook and can literally, go anywhere we want at the drop of a hat ! Weather is not a factor . Our family sez we are in our second childhood ! SO MY MESSAGE TO ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT A TOAD...if you can afford it..DO IT!
Yeah, I agree Wranglers are great. My son has a new Wrangler and itís a very nice vehicle. I wouldnít mind owning one even if it wasnít to tow. Heís in process of restoring an old classic motorhome and will be towing the Jeep when finished. The work scope is extensive so may take a while.

Great to hear from you, and hope everything is going well for you guys.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.
__________________

__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV or two Rad Power electric bikes depending on the trip.
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,422
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.
So you think sitting at a red light in your coach pulling a toad without a brake system and someone runs into you would make you at fault because you didn't have a brake system for the toad?

Yeah, let's throw logic and common sense out the window and bow down to paranoia.

You're only at fault if the lack of a braking system contributed to the accident, including your failure to avoid the accident due to your increased braking distance.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So you think sitting at a red light in your coach pulling a toad without a brake system and someone runs into you would make you at fault because you didn't have a brake system for the toad?

Yeah, let's throw logic and common sense out the window and bow down to paranoia.

You're only at fault if the lack of a braking system contributed to the accident, including your failure to avoid the accident due to your increased braking distance.
Ok, one scenario. Many others. At the discretion of the officer what he does or does not cite. Also, you donít have to be a ass, but evidently.
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #25
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.
Our Blue Ox tow package included a Patriot brake. We never considered NOT having a brake in the TJ.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,422
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Ok, one scenario. Many others. At the discretion of the officer what he does or does not cite. Also, you donít have to be a ass, but evidently.
A citation does not put you at fault.

And I'm just correcting the spread on incorrect information on the forum by pointing out how ludicrous the statement is.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,097
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As long as we remain more travelers than campers, and itís just the two of us who prefer a small camper, I canít see wanting to pull a toad.



I recall once staying in one place for a week where a car was nice to have, but thatís rare for us. And even if we had to rent a car for a week a couple of times a year, it would still be preferable and perhaps cheaper for us than to own and pull a toad.



Weíve used regular bikes, and may consider a scooter someday, but between small camper, rental cars, and Ubers, I doubt Iíll ever want the inconvenience of a toad. Just personal preference ó itís very subjective.


This worked for us for a number of years but finally we have set up to tow. Snowbirding in Florida was the deciding factor for us. A month in Navarre without a car just didnít work.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A citation does not put you at fault.

And I'm just correcting the spread on incorrect information on the forum by pointing out how ludicrous the statement is.
Disagree.

Lawyers would have a field day.
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #29
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,422
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Disagree.

Lawyers would have a field day.
Ambulance chasers in a civil suit? Possibly, but only is someone were hurt; most would not take the case on contingency if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

In a court of law? Not likely if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

And don't try to tell me your insurance won't cover you either, they HAVE to cover you in an accident whether it's your fault or not. That's state mandated coverage.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,858
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This worked for us for a number of years but finally we have set up to tow. Snowbirding in Florida was the deciding factor for us. A month in Navarre without a car just didnít work.
I just hope that if we ever get to that point, that thereís an easier way to hook up for towing; particularly the brakes. My observation at campgrounds is that connecting (and disconnecting to a lesser degree) takes too much time. Toad brake systems are the deal breaker for me. When I towed my dune buggy in Florida a long time ago, it didnít require brakes. At about 1,000 pounds (more or less) it wasnít required. I could connect and be ready to go in a few minutes. Later in Texas I towed my Ranger pickup a few times, and it didnít require brakes either. Texas isnít as restrictive with regulations as many other states. Not judging whether thatís good or bad ó it just is.

U-Haul rents many small trailers without brakes so it must be legal in most states provided weight is low enough. I personally donít see an issue with a sub-2,000-pound car without brakes behind a large motorhome.

Anyway, connecting the tow bar and lights isn't that bad, but toad brake requirements makes towing more undesirable to me (mostly a perception on my part). Fortunately, I havenít needed to tow in years, and would prefer to keep it that way.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I just hope that if we ever get to that point, that thereís an easier way to hook up for towing; particularly the brakes. My observation at campgrounds is that connecting (and disconnecting to a lesser degree) takes too much time. Toad brake systems are the deal breaker for me. When I towed my dune buggy in Florida a long time ago, it didnít require brakes. At about 1,000 pounds (more or less) it wasnít required. I could connect and be ready to go in a few minutes. Later in Texas I towed my Ranger pickup a few times, and it didnít require brakes either. Texas isnít as restrictive with regulations as many other states. Not judging whether thatís good or bad ó it just is.



U-Haul rents many small trailers without brakes so it must be legal in most states provided weight is low enough. I personally donít see an issue with a sub-2,000-pound car without brakes behind a large motorhome.



Anyway, connecting the tow bar and lights isn't that bad, but toad brake requirements makes towing more undesirable to me (mostly a perception on my part). Fortunately, I havenít needed to tow in years, and would prefer to keep it that way.
Thats why the Ready Brute Elite tow set up is great. Once installed on the toad all thats needed is clipping on the cable


Not having brakes will not automatically make you at fault but it can be a contributing factor adding to your fault or reducing the other cars fault

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,968
THOR #8860
If you don't want to use a supplemental braking system on your Toad: that's your choice.
As for me: I'm definitely researching them, and wouldn't tow without one.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #33
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thats why the Ready Brute Elite tow set up is great. Once installed on the toad all thats needed is clipping on the cable


Not having brakes will not automatically make you at fault but it can be a contributing factor adding to your fault or reducing the other cars fault

Jerry

We are no experts, as we just had our Jeep/Axis setup to tow...we have had one test run so far...and if you all have read our posts in other feeds, you know we have a Patriot Brake to go with the Blue Ox setup.

ONE THING THAT IS FRESH IN OUR MINDS is the statements our expert said after the install was complete and he did a very complete walkthrough of the setup.

He said....you want to use the Brake all the time, even tho the Jeep is a lightweight behind the Axis...simply because...if we have an extreme/sudden stop that brake will stop the Jeep...the Jeep will not be pushing on the tow bar, possibly causing damage to the Jeep or towbarÖ.and we don't want to talk about worse case scenario.

The other thing was the cardinal rule...don't back up...don't back up.

He told us after we have hooked up and unhooked a couple times, it will take us about 5 minutes to do so.

I took a video with my phone of his tutorial !!

Everyone has their own preference....as we travel we certainly see many cars and Jeeps in tow behind motorhomes of all sizes.

HAPPY CAMPING FOLKS !!
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
Posts: 713
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.


The latest issue of Motorhome Magazine states the following ďBesides that, auxiliary braking systems are now required in 49 of these United States and in all Canadian provinces, so towing without a dinghy braking system isnít even an option anymore.Ē
__________________
pstandiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
PAtrailtrimmer's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 165
THOR #12085
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
The latest issue of Motorhome Magazine states the following ďBesides that, auxiliary braking systems are now required in 49 of these United States and in all Canadian provinces, so towing without a dinghy braking system isnít even an option anymore.Ē
But keeping in mind minimum weights allowances are different depending on the state. That said I use an auxiliary brake system in my toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	616A300F-C50D-48E2-920F-8F9759FE12EA.png
Views:	53
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	19385  
__________________
Thor Axis 27.7 towing a hot little Chevy Sonic
SE PA
PAtrailtrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:26 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ambulance chasers in a civil suit? Possibly, but only is someone were hurt; most would not take the case on contingency if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

In a court of law? Not likely if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

And don't try to tell me your insurance won't cover you either, they HAVE to cover you in an accident whether it's your fault or not. That's state mandated coverage.
Ignore as many laws or common sense practices as you like. Youíll be fine 99% of the time. That one time I hope they nail your ass. 😁
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,097
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thats why the Ready Brute Elite tow set up is great. Once installed on the toad all thats needed is clipping on the cable


Not having brakes will not automatically make you at fault but it can be a contributing factor adding to your fault or reducing the other cars fault

Jerry


Yup. Same is true for the Stay in Play brake system. Itís ďpermanentlyĒ installed in the toad and ready to go all the time. No hook up required. And itís one of the few systems a available that offer truly proportional braking. I wouldnít tow without a system of some sort. But thatís just me.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:31 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 654
THOR #14698
ďToadĒ for us

We had small 22í B+ for 12 years and didnít have a toad. Let me tell ya after all those years of having to break camp every time we wanted to go town for dinner or groceries or having to break camp to sightsee we decided it was time for a change. Wife needed a new vehicle so we bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk last fall knowing it was towable 4 down even before we upgraded the MH. A week or two without a toad is one thing but 4-5 weeks on an extended trip is another. The old B + is gone and a 27.2 ACE has taken its place. After all the years without one we are very happy with our Cherokee ďtoadĒ. Itís hard to get Enterprise to pick you up in the Gallatin National Forest when your 40 miles from town!
__________________

__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×