Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #2091
Tow Dolly

Getting ready for a cross country trip and will be towing a Honda Odyssey on a Demco Kar Kaddy SS.

Any pointers for first timers using a tow dolly?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Recheck everything after a few miles: Straps, safety chains, etc.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomare View Post
Getting ready for a cross country trip and will be towing a Honda Odyssey on a Demco Kar Kaddy SS.

I have used dollies for years and have been using a Master Tow with surge brakes for the last 2 years.

After loading the car on the dolly take the coach for a short drive making both left and right turns. After a couple of turns stop and check the tightness of your straps. I have a preplanned route for this purpose between my house and the main road taking me to the interstate. After doing that whenever you stop for a break check the straps. New straps will stretch for a short period of time.

Use the Tow/Haul mode on the coach's transmission. Tow/Haul will handle the downshifts when going downhill and thereby minimize the need for you to smoke the brakes on the coach.

Those are what I believe to be the best bits of advice for first time dolly users.

Now a bit of additional info, One thing I did was add an adapter (purchased at O'Reilly Auto Parts) to the 7 pin trailer light connection on my RV that allows me to connect 2 four pin trailer connectors. Doing that allows me to plug in the tow dolly lights as well as a set of magnetic lights I position on the trunk of the car. Even with that it is amazing how many people think they can squeeze their car between my towed car and the back of my coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #4

THOR #2091
Thanks! Will check and recheck.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

Model: Citation 29TB
State: Texas
THOR #1019
I tow with a KarKaddy SS. Ditto on the previous posts and read the instructions each time so you don't forget anything.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

THOR #2091
Thoughts on the SS? I put it together a few days ago, seems very sturdy and easy to use.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One additional thought, if the vehicle you are towing has low ground clearance, as does my Ford Fusion, you can use the Lego style leveling blocks at the ends of the dolly ramps to prevent bottoming out when trying to load the car. In my case if I don't extend the ramp the front cowling will hit the dolly before the tires begin going up the ramp.

Since I already carry the leveling blocks I decided to dual purpose them instead of buying the ramp extenders for the dolly. Less money spent and less weight carried.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One additional thought, if the vehicle you are towing has low ground clearance, as does my Ford Fusion, you can use the Lego style leveling blocks at the ends of the dolly ramps to prevent bottoming out when trying to load the car. In my case if I don't extend the ramp the front cowling will hit the dolly before the tires begin going up the ramp.

Since I already carry the leveling blocks I decided to dual purpose them instead of buying the ramp extenders for the dolly. Less money spent and less weight carried.
That's a great tip Dave!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

THOR #2091
Thanks for all the feedback and tips. Been back and forth to Florida with the dolly towing a Honda Odyssey. Odyssey just fits, no room to spare. The Chateau (F550 Diesel) doesn't seem to know it's there.

Re: Kar Kaddy SS there were some issues. Plastic fasteners that hold the likes on the fender broke off. Those will be replaced with some stainless steel screws. Also, nothing that was used to flat tow with the old Jayco could cross over. New class five drop down hitch and other essentials were not up to the task as everything on the Thor is BIGGER!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

THOR #2091
This is what happened after a piece of retired was run over

Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ouch! And I hope you meant "retread" and not "retired"--I'd hate to be the retiree that you ran over!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #12

THOR #2091
Yeah, oops that would have been even more unfortunate!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Utah
THOR #11340
Quote:

I know this was an old post, but looking to do the same. We have a 2015 Honda Odyssey that is 79" wide from tire to tire. According to Demco Kar Kaddy SS, the max size is 76". Are you using the same model as my Odyssey, if so, what's your experience been? (Any model from 2011 to 2017 is the same dimensions.)

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to.../kar-kaddy-ss/
Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #14

THOR #11340
Quote:

Any feedback with pulling the Odyssey? What year of Odyssey? We have a 2015 and it appears too wide for the Demco Kar Kaddy SS. Demco states 76 inches max and the 2011-2017 is 79 inches wide. Were you able to pull your Odyssey with the Demco Kar Kaddy or did you find out it was too wide? Also, if you did pull, does the tow dolly hit the doors of the Odyssey? https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to.../kar-kaddy-ss/
Old 04-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #10785
We will be towing a Chrysler Pacifica and ran into the same problem. I found Landgrebe manufacturing, they make a tow dolly that is 82 inches wide and can tow 6000 pounds. They also have something called caster steering. I guess that means there is less of a chance that the tow dolly fenders will scratch the side of the car. We ordered a week ago so I will see how it goes. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #16

THOR #11340
Thanks for letting me know of the other dolly I can consider. Please let me know your findings. I’m interested in the outcome and hope for the the best for you!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #17

THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarex View Post
Thanks for letting me know of the other dolly I can consider. Please let me know your findings. I’m interested in the outcome and hope for the the best for you!

You’re welcome, hopefully we will have it next week. I’ll update as to how well it does or doesn’t work..
Old 05-04-2018, 03:27 AM   #18

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
You’re welcome, hopefully we will have it next week. I’ll update as to how well it does or doesn’t work..
Would be interested in the tow dolly you ordered, as we are looking to tow a Ford Edge.
5320 lbs.
Any other manufacturer you know if with capacity over 5,000lbs?
Thought about getting something lighter, but 2 1/2 years it's payed for ! Hoping to use what we have.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #19

THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Would be interested in the tow dolly you ordered, as we are looking to tow a Ford Edge.
5320 lbs.
Any other manufacturer you know if with capacity over 5,000lbs?
Thought about getting something lighter, but 2 1/2 years it's payed for ! Hoping to use what we have.

That is the only one I could find. I was originally looking to get the Kar kaddy but when I started reading about it, the max width they recommend is 76 and my van is 79. I hope to get it soon, we are headed out on the 19th and id like to get some practice with it.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #20

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
That is the only one I could find. I was originally looking to get the Kar kaddy but when I started reading about it, the max width they recommend is 76 and my van is 79. I hope to get it soon, we are headed out on the 19th and id like to get some practice with it.
Wow still don't have it ?
I never dreamed the Edge"s GVW is 5230 lbs !