Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
This is what we tow a 2017 Honda Civic. Pretty simple and has electric brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_Towmaster_Trailers_80_THD_Tow_Dolly_bunVYb.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	10150  

Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Also pull a dolly think it's the best way to go but I've actually seen people load cars on dollies and they don't bother to hook the safety chains up
Our Master Tow didn't come with safety chains. We have traveled across the country and back a few times and have never used safety chains. I get that they are a good idea, but they aren't mandatory. We also stop often to check our tow straps and leave the rear view camera on so we can see our toad.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
I currently have a 4-pin on the rig. It is internally wired for a 7-pin, and I have the harness for that. I have towed/pulled just about anything you can imagine. Except a tow dolly. I think you are correct about the electric brakes. I see a possible headache there. On my TTs and heavy utility trailers I always had to set the controller exactly right for the different weights. Being a cheapskate and not wanting to install the controller and make adjustments I was considering the surge brake versions. But I have never pulled anything with surge brakes. I suppose it could be an extra assist along with the engine braking on steep and long grades.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #24

THOR #11266
How much does your Master Tow weigh unloaded?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #25

THOR #3761
Ours weighs 450 lbs. unloaded.
FMCA - F457085
Old 05-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If you ever have to back up on a slight incline...even just for a few feet...surge brakes will lock up as they will function just as if they think the trailer is coming forward. You can go back and insert a locking pin but it's a pain in the keister. Go electric if you have the choice.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you ever have to back up on a slight incline...even just for a few feet...surge brakes will lock up as they will function just as if they think the trailer is coming forward. You can go back and insert a locking pin but it's a pain in the keister. Go electric if you have the choice.
That is really a non-issue given that you can't really back up with a toad (dolly or not) anyway.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #28

THOR #11266
This is a concern I had with surge brakes
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #29

THOR #11266
Well...it's not something you would WANT to do. But with experience it can be done.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #30

THOR #3761
We have surge brakes and backing up CAN be done, depending on the circumstances, for a few feet anyway. However, I don't recommend it unless you REALLY know what you are doing as it is very easy to put a lot of stress on the toad and the dolly if things are not perfectly aligned. Most of the time that I have wanted to back up, I couldn't (pulling into a gas station, going down a dead end road, etc.) so we just unhooked and did what needed to be done.

Even with a toad 4 down, you really shouldn't back up. The tow bars aren't really engineered for that direction of travel and depending on the steering of the toad, you can do some damage to the front end.
FMCA - F457085
Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Mississippi
THOR #24459
I really prefer this Demco Tow-It 2 tow dolly!! It has lots of different safety features, so you should try it. First and foremost, it has its own taillights, so I haven’t had any accidents on the road so far. It has its own brakes and don’t easily bend or give in. I really have nothing to comment on in terms of the design. The fenders are truly magnificent! They are rust-proof, so I don’t need to worry about natural elements such as water slowly ruining them over time.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
State: Mississippi
THOR #24459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley07 View Post
I really prefer this Demco Tow-It 2 tow dolly!! It has lots of different safety features, so you should try it. First and foremost, it has its own taillights, so I haven’t had any accidents on the road so far. It has its own brakes and don’t easily bend or give in. I really have nothing to comment on in terms of the design. The fenders are truly magnificent! They are rust-proof, so I don’t need to worry about natural elements such as water slowly ruining them over time.
I can say that Demco Tow-It 2 Tow Dolly is a reliable product. It has superb safety features such as brakes, tail lights, durable ramps, and rust-proof fenders. If you want a quality tow dolly and have the budget to spend, it is highly recommended that you choose Demco 9713047 Tow Dolly.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have the EZE car tow dolly from cartowdolly.com. It came with surge hydraulic disc brakes, brake lights and ramps. It also can be stored standing straight up to conserve space when not using it. I towed our full sized Ford Flex this past summer from Calif to Kentucky and parts in between with no issues(5,000 miles). A few weeks later I towed the same car from Calif to Utah with no issues(1600 miles). It is an easy setup and I just developed a check list to be sure I connect everything correctly every time I use it. The company has been great to work with.

Paul
Old 09-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #34

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I have the EZE car tow dolly from cartowdolly.com. It came with surge hydraulic disc brakes, brake lights and ramps. It also can be stored standing straight up to conserve space when not using it. I towed our full sized Ford Flex this past summer from Calif to Kentucky and parts in between with no issues(5,000 miles). A few weeks later I towed the same car from Calif to Utah with no issues(1600 miles). It is an easy setup and I just developed a check list to be sure I connect everything correctly every time I use it. The company has been great to work with.

Paul
We also had an EZE Tow before we started towing 4 down. Loved working with that company, and the product is great. Lightweight, easy to store, built well, and easy to use.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #35

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Older original post but still relevant. I used a Demco Kar Kaddy for a while with folding tongue. Had a tilt bed so no ramps to fool with, steerable wheels, hydraulic surge brakes. Solid, but heavy aluminum, well built. Decided to get a Jeep Wrangler and flat tow but the dolly option is good especially for those who don't take short trips and and don't want to change vehicles. For the safety chain solution I got the tow hook and screwed it into the front bumper which saved crawling around under the front of the car hooking up the safety chains. Tow hook threads into the frame. I got mine off CL and sold the same way.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, towing, trailer