Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Texas
THOR #13042
Volkswagen Jetta for toad

I have a 2015 Volkswagen Jetta with a five speed manual transmission that I would like to flat tow. Is anyone towing a Jetta and how do you keep the steering wheel unlocked. New to raving. Bought a 2018 Thor Synergy and looking to hook toad with blue ox two bar and base plate and Patriot brakes. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #2

Model: Synergy
State: Texas
THOR #13042
Just to let everybody know the Jetta tows seamlessly behind my sprinter Class C. Looking forward to go to South Dakota in June with my toad.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Thanks for the update. Apparently, Jettas aren't that common as toads. Same here with the Xterra. Have taken it on an extended trip to S. Louisiana and it did great. Only requirement is a stop every 500 miles to start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. Probably won't ever go that far at one time anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Guess you figured out the steering wheel lock...
Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Just checked the Motorhome magazine's dinghy towing guide, and didn't find any VWs on the acceptable list. Yet here we have one successfully towed.

The same was true of Miata. We towed a 2002 6-speed for years, and now tow a 2011 Miata 6-speed. Miatas aren't on the list either. Oddly, I had heard that the 5-speed manuals couldn't be successfully towed.

With our older Miata, the key had to be turned to the first notch, which released the steering lock but didn't turn on the accessories. Our newer Miata just requires a key in the ignition. I run the engine for a few minutes every day, but not sure that makes any difference.

Enjoy South Dakota. The Black Hills are great!