Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #101
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If your friends premiums were paid up then he should find a new insurance company or at least a new agent.
I've never seen the disclaimer on my policy that said I couldn't do my own work or risk no coverage.
I agree: there's also more going on here than meets the eye...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596217160
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	88
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	25331  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #102

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Here’s an interesting thread related to what you are discussing.
Many drive too fast when towing. And some on the Forum are admitting it.

In CA, the speed limit for trucks and towing is 55.

Tortoise or Hare
I had a similar discussion on another forum. It started as complaints about the guy doing the speed limit in the fast lane and moved onto a speed limit discussion.

I think that brakes on a TOAD add to peace of mind. They of course add to safety also. In all reality they shouldn't be needed because we are all driving at an appropriate speed and following distance to avoid and need to do any hard braking. But then there is reality too
Old 07-31-2020, 07:52 PM   #103

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
THOR #19344
As far as insurance coverage, I agree with Boband Travelin Texan here. If your company doesn't cover you and you were following laws and not being negligent you need a better company or lawyer.

Insurance doesn't get to decide the quality of the items you are using. The law decides that. Your policy covers your homemade tow bar(assuming its reasonably solid) just as much as a $1000+ dollar blue ox. If you don't have extra brakes and they aren't required you are covered. Unless something in your policy says otherwise, which I seriously doubt.

Has anyone had an experience where they were found negligent and insurance didn't cover something because of who built it or insurance trying to claim you were required an item you weren't?

I have only made a few insurance claims and the only thing not covered was my lift kit when I was a kid. I didn't pay for the accessory coverage. I do now. I see a lot of what ifs about insurance coverage and being sued for negligence, but it seems like a high burden of proof for both. I think it would be easier in both cases to say you were driving too fast or too close for conditions and thats why you couldn't stop. I know thats what the accident report will say.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #104

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley97 View Post
As far as insurance coverage, I agree with Boband Travelin Texan here. If your company doesn't cover you and you were following laws and not being negligent you need a better company or lawyer.

Insurance doesn't get to decide the quality of the items you are using. The law decides that. Your policy covers your homemade tow bar(assuming its reasonably solid) just as much as a $1000+ dollar blue ox. If you don't have extra brakes and they aren't required you are covered. Unless something in your policy says otherwise, which I seriously doubt.

Has anyone had an experience where they were found negligent and insurance didn't cover something because of who built it or insurance trying to claim you were required an item you weren't?

I have only made a few insurance claims and the only thing not covered was my lift kit when I was a kid. I didn't pay for the accessory coverage. I do now. I see a lot of what ifs about insurance coverage and being sued for negligence, but it seems like a high burden of proof for both. I think it would be easier in both cases to say you were driving too fast or too close for conditions and thats why you couldn't stop. I know thats what the accident report will say.

Not a vehicle issue, but not long ago we had roof damage to our newish home from a wind storm - as did many of my neighbors. My insurance company (who will go unnamed but they are like a good neighbor) denied my claim because, they said, the builder didn’t install the shingles correctly. We eventually prevailed but had to track down the builders roofing sub and get them involved.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:15 AM   #105

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I did the same thing myself to tow my 2004 LJ. I found my Ascent tow bar in the Amazon Warehouse and use the Stay In Play permanent braking system on the Jeep. Just flip a switch any you’re good to go. I enjoyed the installations and found it all to be straightforward. I added a wireless repeater to the Jeep’s brake light switch so that I could see exactly when my Jeep was applying its brakes. Works a treat in about 3000 miles so far.
I was paranoid, so I installed a brake disconnect switch under the hood on the Jeep. We've only towed it a couple hundred miles so far. I made a towing checklist, which works great... when I follow it! The last trip I didn't, and forgot to leave the ignition switch in the proper position. I drove about 100 yards and knew something was wrong... The transmission wasn't disengaged! STUPID ME! I'll never make THAT mistake again!😳
Old 10-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #106
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that nothing was damaged...
Old 11-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #107

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #20579
Off of California DMV site

Maybe this has been updated recently but looks like 1500 pounds is the requirement in California for brakes.

Trailer Brakes

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good; however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...railer-safely/
Old 11-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #108

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #20579
Gets even more interesting

Looks like the California vehicular code also includes stopping distance requirements for towed vehicle scenarios. Me thinks it’s just easier to have the supplemental braking system than attend 4 years of law school. Sorry couldn’t help myself.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=3.&article=2.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #109
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post
Looks like the California vehicular code also includes stopping distance requirements for towed vehicle scenarios. Me thinks it’s just easier to have the supplemental braking system than attend 4 years of law school. Sorry couldn’t help myself.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=3.&article=2.
I think that you're right!
It's probably also cheaper to install the braking system; than to hire an engineer who'll testify in Court as to why you didn't need it.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #110

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post
Maybe this has been updated recently but looks like 1500 pounds is the requirement in California for brakes.

Trailer Brakes

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good; however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...railer-safely/

I spoke to CHP in CA
He says that a car being towed is not a “trailer coach or camp trailer”
It’s under the same requirement as a utility trailer which currently is enforced requiring brakes at 3,000# or more.

I tow a 2,200# Chevy Spark
I choose not to use brakes

Uhaul still rents tow dolly’s without brakes
And those tow dolly’s are frequently seen towing vehicles well over 3,000# + the tow dolly weight of abt 700#

Go figure....