Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I do not believe I disproved the argument. To outfit my Lincoln MKZ for flat towing would cost approx 3000.00 which includes supplemental braking, which by the way, is required in most states. Only 10 states do not specifically require a supplemental braking system and most of those require the ability to stop within a specified distance at a specific speed.

Flat towing is considerably more expensive, especially if you rotate vehicles or buy a new vehicle every few years.
$3000? What's that consist of?
$1000 for the base plate?
$1000 for the tow bar?
$1000 for the brake system?

I just showed you I outfitted my toad for 4 flat with braking system for half that, which was the same price you bought a tow dolly with braking system for; so in that case there was no price advantage either way.
The is a convenience advantage bot ways:
Tow Dolly is convenient because of the flexibility to tow different cars within its weight limits.
Flat Tow is convenient because of the quick connect/disconnect.

Different people put different weights on all the factors when considering how to pull a toad. What one person decides may not be right for what another person decides even if they are looking at the same equipment. Do what you think works best in your estimation after becoming educated on all the pros, cons, and options.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #22

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I just finished outfitting my 2017 Wrangler for flat towing. Total cost was $3195:

Roadmaster Base plate $450 (installed myself)

Roadmaster LED socket & bulb light kit $85 (installed myself)

Roadmaster Invisibrake $1650 (installed by Master Hitch)

Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar $950.

Safety Cables $60.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
In my case the dolly allowed me to use either of two cars I already owned. For me to flat tow would have added the expense of buying another car in addition to equipping it for towing. I would rather pay $1500 or so for a dolly than something about $30,000.00 total.
If one already HAS a suitable car for flat towing the equation is different.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #24

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There are 2 other options, flat bed trailer or enclosed trailer, we've seen several of both & in my opinion both would be gigantic PITA.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:30 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
$3000? What's that consist of?
$1000 for the base plate?
$1000 for the tow bar?
$1000 for the brake system?

I just showed you I outfitted my toad for 4 flat with braking system for half that, which was the same price you bought a tow dolly with braking system for; so in that case there was no price advantage either way.
The is a convenience advantage bot ways:
Tow Dolly is convenient because of the flexibility to tow different cars within its weight limits.
Flat Tow is convenient because of the quick connect/disconnect.

Different people put different weights on all the factors when considering how to pull a toad. What one person decides may not be right for what another person decides even if they are looking at the same equipment. Do what you think works best in your estimation after becoming educated on all the pros, cons, and options.
Blue OX

Base Plate 430.00
Tow Bar 750.00
Accessory Kit (lights, pin and cover) 288.00
Safety Cable Kit 75.00
Braking System 1425.00

Total 2968.00

The price does not include sales tax (133.00) or installation of the base plate and light kit (300.00).

I plan on outfitting the MKZ in the future but cost is definitely not a pro or even a wash.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #26

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I am still in the "deciding" phase so it is hard for me to tell someone which way to tow is better. Since I have a Challenger with a V10 gasser my #1 priority is to go with a toad that is light weight no matter how I drag it behind me.

We are in the middle of several months traveling. Pulling a 12' aluminum single axle trailer with my Harley Trike on it is very simple for me. My total toad weight is just over 1,600 pounds with a tongue weight between 100 and 150 pounds.

We have seen a few vehicles on 2 axle open trailers being towed behind MH's as we travel this summer. Two different times they were Wranglers, which in 90% of the cases can be towed 4 down.

I have read all the advantages of towing 4 down. I just can not convince myself I want to tow that way. Hooking up and unhooking a fiver never bothered me. Dealing with loading and unloading a motorcycle on a trailer never bothered me. Certainly putting a small car onto a tow dolly will not be an issue. I'm not really letting the money part influence my decision because if I was worried that much about a few hundred dollars then I would be traveling the U.S. in a VW bus and sleeping in a tent.

For us on our next trip out we will probably either be towing a Mini on an aluminum flat trailer or a tow dolly. If we are 4,000 miles from home and the Mini gets wrecked or something else goes wrong and I don't want to sit somewhere and let someone rip me off for repairs at least I can just load it up and continue.

These are just my thoughts after only traveling in a MH for a few months. Everyone has to look at what is available and decide how they want to do it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I keep shaking my head at this "cost difference". How much does a new tow dolly cost? Northern Tool has one for $1100 but you can spend up to $2500 for one.

I equipped my 2016 Chevy Sonic for flat tow with:
Roadmaster Base Plate -$345
Roadmaster Taillight Wiring Kit - $56
Reese Tow Bar - $82
Curt Safety Cables W/Hooks (2 Sets) - $40
MaxxHaul 5000 Lb Adjustable Drop Hitch - $30

Total Cost - $553

Now this doesn't include a braking system, but neither do the cheap tow dollies. Before we head out over the mountains I'll add the Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System for $900 which will put the total at $1453.

Also the above prices don't include labor, but that's the advantage to always doing things yourself, not to mention you know the system better and you know the quality of the work done.
Part if the price difference is base plates - the brand you choose and the car you have will vary the prices - in some cases considerably... Based on weight, structure of vehicle - there are different requirements...

Brakes cost $1000... whether you go portable or permanent... many don't do the install of a permanent system themselves and can add a few hundred...

The big variable is the towbar - you used one for about $110 (towbar+hitch) - can easily spend $1000 here too.

What you have works for you - that's great...
But I think $3000 is more typical of the investment I have seen people make to flat tow.

I chose a permanent brake system - had it installed (more due to timing of an upcoming trip with need to tow) - and chose a more expensive towbar to provide additional ease of hookup/disconnect in any strange position I might find myself in... Right choices for me in my mind - but certainly cost more.

Had an uncle that towed a wrangler for about $100... Cheap towbar attached to d-rings on bumper, and lights (no base plate - no brakes) Would I do that? no... (cept I would make use of the d-rings instead of base plate if my Jeep had suitable bumper) but it worked for him.

As a percentage of the RV cost - towing is relatively cheap... either way.
Eventually will be setting up new car for towing (Explorer being delivered next week) - it can be towed either way - it will be getting its own Invisibrake, base plate, and lights - and of course share the towbar with the Wrangler so we have a choice of vehicles to take depending on circumstances.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #28

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: North Carolina
THOR #3608
I have a 2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter and thinking seriously about getting a Stehl tow dolly. Has anyone with a Siesta Sprinter used one of these. I will be towing a 2013 Sonic. Do you recommend the dolly with or without the brakes. Only using once or twice a year...not retired yet.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Tour View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter and thinking seriously about getting a Stehl tow dolly. Has anyone with a Siesta Sprinter used one of these. I will be towing a 2013 Sonic. Do you recommend the dolly with or without the brakes. Only using once or twice a year...not retired yet.
The Stehl is a good dolly. As far as brakes or no brakes, that doesn't even sound like a question to me. Where you live may or may not require brakes.
It might be hard to explain to an insurance company why you did not have brakes in some other state that does require them. And someday you might want to sell it. Having brakes will make it easier to sell.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 07-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #30

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: North Carolina
THOR #3608
Ok thanks , did not know that some states require brakes.