Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
Arm

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #16638
Towing Ford Edge

Anyone towing a Ford Edge? What are you using (tow dolly/trailer)? We are planning to use a tow dolly so also interested in anyone's experience.
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Make sure you have good clearance between wheel wells and tires. We towed a Ford Focus on a tow dolly and had to fight the straps each time due to about 1” clearance. Got rid of the tow dolly after using it about three times. Went to flat tow. Best thing we ever did. I think if the clearance is there it might be a different story.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Arm

THOR #16638
Thanks for the iofo.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've had no issues with clearance with our Acme "EZE-Tow" Dolly with any of the four cars we've put on it (Ford Escape, Ford Focus, Ford C-Max, Chevy Bolt).

My parents used to flat tow an Edge. They never really had any issues with it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Arm

THOR #16638
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
Anyone towing a Ford Edge? What are you using (tow dolly/trailer)? We are planning to use a tow dolly so also interested in anyone's experience.
Quote:
Thanks!
You opened yourself a can of worms and they're still alive. There's few bad answers here and less bad opinions. Weigh them for yourself.

I tow a 2004 Edge. You didn't mention what year yours is or what you'll use to tow her with. You should consult both Owner's Manuals. The RV for GCVWR and tow hitch capacity (applies tow bar or dolly) and the Edge for towing instructions.

I tow mine 4 down. She has a manual transmission and weighs 3500 with a 1/2 tank of gas. Here's my setup:

33' 2017 Thor Chateau, Triton V10
BRK2012 Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
BX4330 Blue Ox Tow BarRM 477-1
Roadmaster XL Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms
RM-033 RoadMaster Base Plate to Blue Ox and Demco Tow Bars Adapter
RM-154 Roadmaster Universal Hy-Power Diode Wiring Kit

There's some wiring tricks I can share if you're interested. Bottom line is if you tow, you should be running a break-away system. Should the toad (towed) become separated from the RV, the breakaway will engage the brakes and attempt to bring the vehicle to a stop. It's a no brainer.

I did the install myself and I can try to help you through it. My toad wiring might be a bit anal for the average bear. I had the tools and budget. It works well and has followed me through some heavy learning. I was lucky to come across it when I did.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Arm

THOR #16638
Unit is the Thor ACE 30.3 with the Ford Triton V10, car is 2019 Ford Edge Titanium with auto transmission and FWD, that's why I am looking at using a tow dolly (with surge brakes).
Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

THOR #2020
Quote:
Unit is the Thor ACE 30.3 with the Ford Triton V10, car is 2019 Ford Edge Titanium with auto transmission and FWD, that's why I am looking at using a tow dolly (with surge brakes).

Yep. Per the Ford owner’s manual dolly or trailer is your only option. We had a Master Tow w/ surge brakes. From a quality perspective we were pleased. As stated earlier the only problem we had was getting the straps put on front tires. We could not get our hand(s) between tire and wheel well to properly arrange the straps. Some friends have a tow dolly with plenty of clearance. We used load with one person driving the car onto the ramp and the other person standing in front to direct to get it centered. Our friends do it differently. She sits inside and operates gas and brake while he reaches through the the driver’s side window and steers the car and tells her when to stop. This procedure works well for them.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Arm

THOR #16638
Thanks, do you know what brand dolly "with plenty of clearance" your friends use?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #10

Model: 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #16640
Ford Edge 2013

We tow a n Edge with all wheels 4 down. Have a trailer also but it does add a lot of weight and length. In the past we towed with a 42’ DP so it was not noticed except the length.
We have downsized to the 25.3 Vegas so we have to update our 4 down tow. We need to ad a an electric brake for the toad, and retire a couple of lines from the coach to the toad. Need to add something to keep battery charged and brake control line.
In the past I can say towing 4 down only had one major drawback, in bad weather the Toad is a total mess and has to be cleaned to use when you arrive. I never realized how completely the body would get covered. Other than that for us 4 down was a great for us and will be how we tow with the Vegas. Just need a brake unit for the toad.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

THOR #2020
Quote:
Thanks, do you know what brand dolly "with plenty of clearance" your friends use?

I think there is a misunderstanding about my clearance comment. The clearance issue was not between the car and the dolly. It was an issue with space between the fender opening of the car and the tire of the car. The straps go over the top of the tire and the small opening (maybe 1-1/2”) made it difficult to get the strap over the tire. There was plenty of clearance between the car and the tow dolly. But, they also have a Master Tow with surge brakes.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding about my clearance comment. The clearance issue was not between the car and the dolly. It was an issue with space between the fender opening of the car and the tire of the car. The straps go over the top of the tire and the small opening (maybe 1-1/2”) made it difficult to get the strap over the tire. There was plenty of clearance between the car and the tow dolly. But, they also have a Master Tow with surge brakes.
Ah! Just about every car we've towed has that issue (hmm most of them were Fords). It does take some finagling to get the straps around the front wheels; especially the inside strap under the strut (there is usually a guard there that is really close to the tire--the strap just squeaks by there).

Typically, however, clearance complaints about dolly's involve the front of the car and the dolly's fender.

Yeah you do want to weigh the coach and the car--Edge's aren't the lightest of things to see that the total isn't greater than your GCWR (dolly's usually are around 500 lbs or so).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote