Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SR
State: California
THOR #4493
Towing a heavy motorcycle

We are looking for a towing option to tow a heavy motorcycle (Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Has anyone used a "Stinger Trailer" for towing a heavy motorcycle?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by L House View Post
We are looking for a towing option to tow a heavy motorcycle (Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Has anyone used a "Stinger Trailer" for towing a heavy motorcycle?
We use a 6x10 Stealth enclosed trailer to haul our dresser. The nice thing about an enclosed trailer is ... you have additional room for helmets, jackets, toolbox, and anything you might not want to put in your motorhome.
Rons setup has more than one front wheel chock so he can haul more than one
motorcycle .
In addition, he has a hitch mounted rack for his dual sport 650 which he uses when we go to the mountains...or when we simply don't want to take the dresser along.

I googled that trailer..looks nice...so many options to please everyone
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
In addition... we saw this setup at Lake Powell...
name on rail is CRUISERLIFT.COM
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7432.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	2682
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #4

THOR #4493
Thanks for the information. I wonder how it lifts up? I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a heavy bike on a lift though. Seems like a great idea for a smaller motorcycle.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I wonder how it lifts up? I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a heavy bike on a lift though. Seems like a great idea for a smaller motorcycle.
Well....we feel the same...that is why Ron prefers the trailer for his dresser..
out of the elements and room for all his stuff !!

However...regarding that rack of which I took the photo...that was on a
40 Foot Pusher...I seriously doubt it would be hanging off that coach if it were not safe.
You would have to know how much weight your coach could handle in that situation.
When Ron uses his hitch mount rack for his dual sport...it weighs about 350lbs.
so..no comparison to the dresser.
I just noticed you have a Sprinter ... Ron says you cannot hang a Harley off the rear of that motorhome.

GOOGLE that lift and read about it ! I am going to do so..curious now !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #6

THOR #4493
I watched the video. Looks like a great option for a smaller bike but we would be at the maximum weight. I think your enclosed trailer is a better option. Especially in weather.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
I watched the video. Looks like a great option for a smaller bike but we would be at the maximum weight. I think your enclosed trailer is a better option. Especially in weather.
Have FUN searching for your solution !
Keep us posted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
I agree, hanging a 800 lb motorcycle off the back of a Vegas/Axis would not be a wise decision. I too just bought a 6x10 enclosed trailer for the same reasons Ron and Kay have.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I agree, hanging a 800 lb motorcycle off the back of a Vegas/Axis would not be a wise decision. I too just bought a 6x10 enclosed trailer for the same reasons Ron and Kay have.
Penguin..Good Morning !
You will like having the trailer...soooo convenient !
Ron got the round - hidden shackle lock .. they are a little pricey, but, secure.(HD has them at a decent price)
In addition, Ron has a Blaylock Coupler Lock for when the trailer is sitting in the driveway...prevents (helps prevent) someone from driving up and hooking up to your trialer when it is not in use, or if you detach during a trip.
RON reminded me to tell you .. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby..
you can get wheel chocks there which work well and he got heavy duty D rings there too.
Precautions...just like pulling a toad...everytime we stop, Rons checks hitch and tires etc.
Post photos !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
It says a cable/winch system. I think it's the same brand I've seen at an RV Show a few times and it's built fairly heavy duty. A lift could be designed for any weight.

As others have stated, the limitation in this case is the motorhome. Sprinters do not have a truck chassis like most motorhomes in US, so the hitch is limited in weight carrying capacity. Additionally, that much weight behind MH would likely overload your rear axle and make the front axle too light. Your trailer idea is probably the only viable option with a Sprinter.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It says a cable/winch system. I think it's the same brand I've seen at an RV Show a few times and it's built fairly heavy duty. A lift could be designed for any weight.

As others have stated, the limitation in this case is the motorhome. Sprinters do not have a truck chassis like most motorhomes in US, so the hitch is limited in weight carrying capacity. Additionally, that much weight behind MH would likely overload your rear axle and make the front axle too light. Your trailer idea is probably the only viable option with a Sprinter.
ALSO...regarding the photo I posted of that hitch setup...if you look closely at the photo, it appears they pull a toad behind that Monaco as well.
Crazy !!
We LIKE our trailer !!

Name:	KOA Cortez.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2691
at Cortez, CO
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
we're not bikers now, although I used to be years ago.
DW often talks about getting a bike after the kids are grown to take along when RVing.
I've always like the enclosed trailer idea....keeps things cleaner and secure, and bonus space for chairs, beach umbrellas, etc....
but I would be sure to get one with plenty more capacity in the axle and wheel department than I would ever use on it. I like have a large factor of safety there, and larger wheels so they turn slower
Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Penguin..Good Morning !
You will like having the trailer...soooo convenient !
Ron got the round - hidden shackle lock .. they are a little pricey, but, secure.(HD has them at a decent price)
In addition, Ron has a Blaylock Coupler Lock for when the trailer is sitting in the driveway...prevents (helps prevent) someone from driving up and hooking up to your trialer when it is not in use, or if you detach during a trip.
RON reminded me to tell you .. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby..
you can get wheel chocks there which work well and he got heavy duty D rings there too.
Precautions...just like pulling a toad...everytime we stop, Rons checks hitch and tires etc.
Post photos !!
Morning Kay. I will post pictures of the trailer soon as they are done installing stabilizers in the rear. I did get a Condor chock so I can use it in the garage or in the trailer. Any advice on the placement of the bike in the trailer would help. Don't want the load too far forward or back. Only thing I have to figure out is how to secure 2 bicycles and the F6B in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160810_102635.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2692  
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Morning Kay. I will post pictures of the trailer soon as they are done installing stabilizers in the rear. I did get a Condor chock so I can use it in the garage or in the trailer. Any advice on the placement of the bike in the trailer would help. Don't want the load too far forward or back. Only thing I have to figure out is how to secure 2 bicycles and the F6B in the trailer.
Hi Penguin ! That is a nice chock .. I will have to defer to Ron, on a couple of your questions...
Until he returns..I am posting a photo of our interior.
Regarding hanging your bicycles...I bet you can find just what you need.
In all our years of pulling a trailer, we have not had an issue...knowing that Ron checks everything each time we stop.

Name:	trailer interior.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2693
**that is our trailer dolly...so handy ,when parked, for maneuvering trailer.

etrailer.com has many bike rack applications .. a couple designed for attaching to the RV ladder, could, posibly be used in a trailer.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Georgia
THOR #5040
Another option - check out aluma mc 10 motorcycle trailers. Not foldable, but light weight, and has a rock guard on the front of it. Mine tows well at any speed you care to drive.
Regarding the lifts that pick the bike up - cruiserlift and hydralift - they attach to the frame, not the hitch of a class a motorhome. and yes, you do of course have to remain within axle max weights, and yes, smaller motorhomes might have handling issues. air shocks and/or stiffer springs would be called for. still, the larger the motorhome, the better it will handle the weight of the lift system (approx 400#) and the weight of a large bike - goldwing 900#. if your motorhome has the size, you get to bring your motorcycle, and still have the hitch free for whatever else you want to bring!!