Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #3562
Towing a Jeep behind a 24' Thor Siesta

New to Class C's. I see Class C's towing vehicles all the time. What I don't understand how the BRAKING works. I mean, no big deal on the interstates but what about in the hill country. Is there some way to utilize the brakes on the towed vehicle? My C has a towing capacity of 5,000#'s so I should be able to tow my Jeep Grand Cherokee right?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks again folks
John

Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First,

The 5000 pounds. Is that the hitch capacity or the difference between the GVWR and GCWR. The GCWR - GVWR is your towing capacity as long as the hitch capacity can handle the load.

Supplemental braking such as invisbrake, brake buddy should be used. Most states require auxiliary brakes on anything being towed and weighting over 3000 lbs.

The 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee weights approx. 4600 pounds. There are some Quadra Trac/Quadra Drive restrictions to flat towing it so check the owners manual for your specific vehicle.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
As Dave said - definitely recommend a supplemental braking system...
There are 'permanent' installs like Invisibrake that get mounted in the toad and get connected with wiring harness to motorhome with lights - or portable like the brakebuddy that you put in place each time.

Some offer proportional braking... some will only brake when the motorhome brakes are applied (ie: not when engine braking) - others sense the inertia difference and brake.

Looking at $1000 for almost any option - but the safety is worth it in my opinion (and required in many states at that weight).

I use the Invisibrake in my Jeep Wrangler (2 door soft top) - I'm about 1000 pounds lighter too at 3600.

A 5000 pound towing capacity is tight for a 4600 pound car - as that doesn't count what is IN the car... Have the car weighed as you intend to tow it to be sure it is under 5000...

And see what weight is really available for towing as Dave indicated... and if your model can be flat towed (typically needs a transfer case 'neutral' capability on a 4WD vehicle...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

THOR #3562
Thanks guys. I understand all that was stated. In essence I am looking at about $1500 to get my RV/ toad ready. Think I'll just have the wife follow me for the time being.

Gracia milli
Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure where you are headed but something I have started doing lately is renting a car once I get to my location. Depending on the area Enterprise rental will pick you up at the campground and then take you back when you return the car.

This option isn't for everyone and doesn't work for all trips but I've been doing it for about a year and a half and for me it works well. I will tell you, however, my daughter is a risk manager for Enterprise so I do get a family discount. For me a one week rental runs about 100.00 to include all insurance coverage.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1685
Which braking system is preferred,Invisibrake or Brake Buddy?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
Which braking system is preferred,Invisibrake or Brake Buddy?
That's a personal preference question... They are both good systems.
Personally, I didn't want something else I needed to store at home and at the campsite... I wanted to use the power assist on the toad (versus dead pedal), proportional braking... and didn't want it engaging unless the RV brakes were on.
I went with Invisibrake...
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
I also like the 15 second max - at which point the toad disengages unless I release the pedal and brake again. There is definitely more to the install - to run the power, brake cable, and vacuum.

The 'traditional' Brake Buddy sits in the footwell of the drivers seat and attaches to brake pedal there. It gets put in/removed each time.
BrakeBuddy Vantage Select | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

Brake Buddy has a newer 'Stealth' model... that mounts permanently as well. I don't know any details - beyond what is on their website:
BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I tow a '15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind my ACE 29.3. I just received my RVI Brake2 supplemental brake system. I think I am going to like it a lot. This afternoon I did my first walk through install. Easy in and out. I like the smaller size than the Brake Buddy and Blue Ox.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

THOR #1685
Thank you for your replies.
I want to tow a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I like the Invisibrake system. The problem is that that system requires hardware to be mounted under the dash and the module to be mounted elsewhere in the car. What happens if the Jeep dies and I need to transfer the system to another car?

The removable braking system would be more convenient but that requires you to disconnect and remove the system every time you want to disconnect the car.

I got a quote from CampingWorld to install the complete Toad package using the Invisibrake system, Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar, Base Plate and wiring. $3,900.00

Seams a bit high to me.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
A bit higher than I'd expect... Well.. depends...
Are you a Good Sam's member? Significant discount from CW on the labor if you are. In Oct 2014 I paid $2800... included:
  • Roadmaster Invisibrake
  • Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar
  • Base Plates ($459 for my Wrangler)
  • Brake Light Relay
  • Safety Cables
  • Installation of all of the above.
Without Good Sam's would have added $430 in labor (a membership is far cheaper...)
$320 additional was quoted for 2 year protection plan
With those additions $3550... And I had already done the Jeep OEM wiring harness in the Wrangler.
So you aren't that far off.

At the time - the equivalent from Blue Ox was quoted by a different dealer over $1000 more.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

THOR #1685
Yes, I am a Good Sam member and all of the components were on sale!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
Look up the individual prices for all the components yourself. You'll find that one of the best tow bars runs on the high side $800, base plate $350, wiring $75, drop hitch (if needed) $100, braking system my choice Unified Tow Brake, $1200. No labor as I did it myself so it cost $3225 I'm not sure what labor would be but based on 8 hour of work at 125 per hour, that's another $1000. so we are looking at $4225.00. I'd say your cost is within the ball park.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #13

THOR #1685
Well, I pulled the trigger. I ordered the Toad package from CampingWorld in Chattanooga.
Roadmaster XL Series Tow Bar Mounting Brackets
Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar Accessory Kit #9243
Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar #522
Roadmaster invisiBrake #8700
BRAKE LIGHT RELAY KT

Installed with Taxes and shipping $3775.00

I'll let you know how it works out!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
That's got to be a tough decision ^^^ to put as much money as its high book value into a rig just to tow it. Great rigs to tow and go though
Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
That's got to be a tough decision ^^^ to put as much money as its high book value into a rig just to tow it. Great rigs to tow and go though
I second that. I installed a Unified Tow Brake system myself in 2007, and plan to keep that car as long as possible. It wouldn't be all that big of a deal for me to switch the brake system, but when you add the baseplate and the wiring to the lights for a different vehicle, it adds up.

Remember, we all try to get the best deal, but the longer you own something, the less it matters what you paid for it! Be smart, think ahead!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:51 AM   #16

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Look up the individual prices for all the components yourself. You'll find that one of the best tow bars runs on the high side $800, base plate $350, wiring $75, drop hitch (if needed) $100, braking system my choice Unified Tow Brake, $1200. No labor as I did it myself so it cost $3225 I'm not sure what labor would be but based on 8 hour of work at 125 per hour, that's another $1000. so we are looking at $4225.00. I'd say your cost is within the ball park.
I should update the post as I changed from this. Sent it back the day I got ready to install it. This was the second system I sent back different ones. I ended up with the BreakMaster. I've been using it now for a week or two and absouletly love it.