Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No, you have a major misconception of what GROSS Vehicle Weight RATING is.

You believe it to be empty curb weight or unloaded weight. GMC and MJC62 should have set you straight.
Yes that is what I missed an they have clarified "empty curb weight" is what was missing. I can only go by what I read because the rest I don't know, thus my probing for information.

I don't know how to simplify my thinking that I could pull my 5,000 lb fully loaded boat and trailer with an RV with hitch rated at 8,000 as slam dunk? I learned that hitch rating is not the same as what may be available to tow for combined weight.

Yes it would have been simpler for me if Thor listed the "empty curb weight" so I could calculate the balance of 23,000 lbs available.

As it is until someone can offer up the "empty curb weight" for a 27b I have to make an assumption that my RV will weight exactly 18,000 lbs fully loaded with my wife and cooler full of beers (I will add extra ice since the 18,000 is Weighted Rated That would leave me 5,000 lbs for boat and trailer and that would work. Especially if I have a few hundred pounds to play with. FWIW, I can calculate the weights for everything that I would load. Just seems like with all of the fancy ratings, they would now how much the RV weighs off the mfg floor and with the assumptive full load of gas , water, propane, and holding tanks.

I also follow that It is best to go get the weight at scale but I can't do that until I buy an RV. My point, is that I don't want to buy an RV where I can't safely pull my boat. It is a reason I own a boat already. I have never gone camping anywhere where a lake / river was not nearby. I am just taken by surprise that it is even a question, and can be so close to being over limit. 6.8L Triton V10!!!

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #42

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Here is how I understand GVWR & GCWR.
The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the Maximum allowable weight the vehicle can safely haul. That is NOT the weight of the vehicle before it is loaded. The GVWR is the total of ALL water, fuels, people, food, clothing, live bait, beer, etc. PLUS and this is a big PLUS the tongue weight of your trailer. Our Ace 27.2 the GVWR is 16000 pounds. Fully loaded with all our stuff, fuel, propane, water, myself and the Mrs. we top out at close to 16000, within the safe margin of the Gross Vehicle Weight. Now my GCWR or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is the weight of all the stuff in the motor home PLUS the weight of the towed vehicle. Our GCWR for the ACE 27.2 is 23000 lbs. Our Cherokee Trail Hawk weighs in at a dry curb weight of 4200 lets call it 4500 lbs with gas and a couple sundries in the car. So fully loaded weight GCWR @ 15700 + the Cherokee at 4500 Equals a Gross Combined Weight of 20,200 lbs leaving us 2800 lbs under the Gross Combined Weight of my ACE. And that's all I gotta say about that! Hope that helps. Mark
Thank you, this helps me a lot. I see you did not forget the live bait What was I thinking. I would think the GVWR for your ACE 27.2 would be close if not the same as 27b? There s no 2020 27b so Thor's site started out at 29M. Maybe the 18,000 GVWR for 27b is too high? If not, what you have just taught me is a big reason for me to prefer 27 model over 29 models. I must be able to tow my boat free from worry about any weights. Having to possibly throw out beer, ice and live bait while on any family vacation is not exactly what I call relaxing.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27
THOR #15289
I agree. I think if you are overweight and get in an accident, the insurance company will say you were unsafe. Also Thor might say you voided the warranty because you were over weight.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #44
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I also follow that It is best to go get the weight at scale but I can't do that until I buy an RV. My point, is that I don't want to buy an RV where I can't safely pull my boat. It is a reason I own a boat already. I have never gone camping anywhere where a lake / river was not nearby. I am just taken by surprise that it is even a question, and can be so close to being over limit. 6.8L Triton V10!!!
I missed that you didn't own the rig yet... (I was using the app which doesn't show the 'signatures' you see in the browser for some reason).

As at least some states require curb weight for registration/title, I expect the dealer would have that information in their paperwork for a given rig. That wouldn't include any fuel/water/propane, but that can be calculated.
It should be safe to assume that GCVWR - GVWR = minimal towing capacity - assuming hitch rating allows... as the loaded weight of rig should be below GVWR. The actual weight comes in to play to see if you can tow MORE than that difference.

That said - I have seen some rigs in past that really don't leave much weight for 'stuff' - but was more on the F350 chassis they moved away from. I'd expect no issue on F53 as long as you are 'reasonable' on contents.

As was stated earlier - it is not just the engine that determines capabilities. There are multiple variations of the F53 varying components like axles to meet a given weight rating. Not every application needs (or wants to pay for) the highest capacity.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #45

Model: Windsport 27
THOR #15289
While Thor states you, your passengers, your stuff, and your tow shouldn’t exceed 5,000 lb, I have seen people towing 4,000 to 6,000 lb cars and trucks on the back of their rv.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #46

Model: Venetian A40
State: Florida
THOR #12058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana&Kerry View Post
One reason we purchased a rv was that my wife has asthma. I thought I could rent a car at our destination but all of the cars we looked at had a strong perfume oder, which is a trigger for her asthma.

The asthma and perfume are the reason Lyft, Uber and taxis won’t work.

So one option we are now considering is to tow our Lincoln MKS on a dolly.

Can I do this?

I have a 2016 Thor windsport 27K. The weight is 18000 and if I am reading the book right, it can handle an additional 8000 lbs. The curb weight of the MKS is 4100 lbs. the MKS is a Ford Taurus.

What would you recommend for a dolly? I have looked on line at the acme tow dolly, and several that PPL and camping world carry.

Acme said there are several of their dollies being used to tow MKS today. Not to doubt them but is anyone using the Acme dolly with a MKS or Taurus? It is about 100 lbs lighter than the others so it is intriguing. Their pictures make it look like they put some thought into the design.

Kerry
Remcotowing.com will tell you everything you need to know for your exact vehicle. Input vehicle info and it's super easy
Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 AM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I missed that you didn't own the rig yet... (I was using the app which doesn't show the 'signatures' you see in the browser for some reason).

As at least some states require curb weight for registration/title, I expect the dealer would have that information in their paperwork for a given rig. That wouldn't include any fuel/water/propane, but that can be calculated.
It should be safe to assume that GCVWR - GVWR = minimal towing capacity - assuming hitch rating allows... as the loaded weight of rig should be below GVWR. The actual weight comes in to play to see if you can tow MORE than that difference.

That said - I have seen some rigs in past that really don't leave much weight for 'stuff' - but was more on the F350 chassis they moved away from. I'd expect no issue on F53 as long as you are 'reasonable' on contents.

As was stated earlier - it is not just the engine that determines capabilities. There are multiple variations of the F53 varying components like axles to meet a given weight rating. Not every application needs (or wants to pay for) the highest capacity.
@GMC You da man. There are two kinds of people, those that respect the law and those that say the heck with it. Sometimes rules and regulations can be so dumbfusing that those that wish to respect the law will say the heck with it

But it is very clear to me now. My money says that my would be RV would not exceed 18,000 lbs with my payload provided I am willing to cut back and rough it with with only 2 dozen minnows, and 2 cases of beer. It will be sacrifice, but I willing to comply with the law as may be required.

Tags
asthma, mks, tow dolly, windsport 27k