RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
Posts: 93
THOR #7230
Towing a Mini Cooper

I am looking to buy a 2016 Mini Cooper, manual transmission, front wheel drive. Mini says no to towing it any way. But I have seen them on the road being both dolly and 4 down towed. I just don't know what year they are.
So any of you out there towing a Mini, what year is it. And how are you towing it?
__________________

__________________
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
DenverTransplant's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
Posts: 388
THOR #5190
I had a 2015 Mini Cooper S (automatic) that we dolly towed for a couple of years before moving to a Jeep Cherokee we could tow 4 down. (I miss Mini but DW was done with loading and unloading the dolly)

The only issue I had was that about half the time after pulling it off the dolly it would throw up errors such as ABS Trouble, Engine Trouble and a few other scary messages. They would automatically clear after driving a mile or so. Eventually I tracked it down to the steering wheel not being fully secured (the dolly we used had a turntable). Once I got a better strap to secure the steering wheel, the errors never occurred again.

I mentioned it to my Mini dealer and was told "Don't mentions that to us again, especially if you are in for warranty work". The service rep said they don't support towing, even though the manual said only to tow with the front wheels off the ground.

Having said that, there are tons of people towing Mini's both on dollies (automatic) and 4 down (manual). I believe that Blue Ox sells baseplates for Mini's. The main thing is to never tell Mini that you have been towing. They seemed rather cool about it and had the attitude of don't ask, don't tell.
__________________

__________________
Rick
2017 Thor ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
Posts: 93
THOR #7230
Its hard to find any info on the 2006 year mini, even on Google.
Thanks for the info on the 2015.

I forgot to say that I currently dolly tow a 2008 Mini Clubman with NO issues.
My concern is with a newer Mini. Don' know if antthing has changed on the newer model years.
__________________
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 157
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
I am looking to buy a 2016 Mini Cooper, manual transmission, front wheel drive. Mini says no to towing it any way. But I have seen them on the road being both dolly and 4 down towed. I just don't know what year they are.

So any of you out there towing a Mini, what year is it. And how are you towing it?


Weíve towed our 2012 Mini Cooper 6 speed manual 4 down for about 4 years and some 20K miles with no issues. We use a Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot brake. I did have to wire an auxiliary power outlet direct from the battery in the Mini for the Patriot as all the Miniís electrics are powered down when the ignition puck is removed from the car.
__________________
Rick Norris
Norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29h outlaw
State: New Jersey
Posts: 356
THOR #5248
I tow a 2008 mini 6 speed manual four down, no problems. I use a road master tow bar ball coupler with a drop hitch to keep tow bar level.
__________________
Trkyte@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Hey guys we have been towing 2013 cooper paceman for 2 months 6 speed manual about 3000 LB NO elect brake
__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 576
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
Its hard to find any info on the 2006 year mini, even on Google.
Thanks for the info on the 2015.

I forgot to say that I currently dolly tow a 2008 Mini Clubman with NO issues.
My concern is with a newer Mini. Don' know if antthing has changed on the newer model years.
Just bought a 2008 clubman to flat tow. Any pointers? Picking up the title tomorrow. The windshield is pretty straight up. Issues with damage?
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Just bought a 2008 clubman to flat tow. Any pointers? Picking up the title tomorrow. The windshield is pretty straight up. Issues with damage?
Nice, good job and I am sure itís a manual to tow 4 down. And with that said you have several opinions for the window. If it broke your comprehensive deductible will cover and will not affect your insurance rate. Secondly there are windshield guards that you can buy for towing, Iím sure someone here has a website for it. Thirdly thereís a guard that you can put on the very front end to help with additional protection. Have fun and enjoy the mini
__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ontario
Posts: 14
THOR #4874
Can I ask how and where you wired your DC plug for the brake? Battery is hard to get at so am thinking of drilling into the glove box,,,?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
Weíve towed our 2012 Mini Cooper 6 speed manual 4 down for about 4 years and some 20K miles with no issues. We use a Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot brake. I did have to wire an auxiliary power outlet direct from the battery in the Mini for the Patriot as all the Miniís electrics are powered down when the ignition puck is removed from the car.
__________________
RV_Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
SANDDOG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
Posts: 133
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Envy View Post
Can I ask how and where you wired your DC plug for the brake? Battery is hard to get at so am thinking of drilling into the glove box,,,?
Yep super pain to get at the battery . I do not use elec brakes as the car is about 3000ílb to tow. And with my Miramar I donít even know itís back there, if I had a jeep or a larger vehicle or a smaller tow rig then I would get electric brakes. I wish I had a better answer
__________________

__________________
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×