Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Towing a Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
The popular jeep wrangler unlimited is heavier than the f150 so how are all these gas mh's I see able to do it? It appears to me as long as you don't go crazy with what you carry in pickup you should be ok.

My Wrangler Unlimited has a published curb weight of 3721 lbs and a GVWR of 4600 lbs though I’ve never weighed it. I tow it with my Class A with no problem.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:49 AM   #22

Model: Aria 3601
State: Florida
THOR #20848
I’m gonna chime in here with “It’s not what you CAN ton, but what you SHOULD tow”. I was advised by an accident injury attorney a few months ago that when towing anything, be it a lawn tractor trailer behind a pickup truck or a car behind a class A, you’d better know your numbers and be inside every maximum there is. Just because I have a 10k hitch on my Aria does not mean I can safely and legally tow that load. GVWR & GCWR on both the MH and the toad are the numbers that matter most from a legal perspective. If you exceed either one of these and are ever in an accident, regardless of fault, the lawyers will eat you for all 3 meals plus a midnight snack. Whatever happened was YOUR fault, because you were exceeding your weight limits and therefore your rig is unsafe. There is an entire subset of lawyers who have become quite wealthy on this premise. When something bad happens, you can guarantee that they will be the first ones on scene to talk to the “other guy”, and start looking at your rig as soon as it’s available for evidence processing. I have an excel spreadsheet that does all the calculations for you, as long as you know your base weights and have a very close estimate of people and cargo weights. Disclaimer: I got the spreadsheet from a very prolific youtuber, Keep Your Daydream, and there is a very detailed video that goes along with it that should be watched in conjunction with using the spreadsheet. I’ll post the link here after I get home tomorrow if there’s any interest. Ok, off the soapbox, but after talking to my attorney friend, this is something I feel very strongly about, and truly wish new rv’ers had as much info about as humanly possible.

T.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #8028
Towing 2017 F150

We've been towing our 2017 F150 (4,000 Lbs empty) with 30ft Gas powered motor home. Roadmaster/invisi-brake. No problem. From Sac to Reno (Pyramid Lake), also up to Trinity Lake.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #24

Model: Aria 3601
State: Florida
THOR #20848
I’m not saying that you can’t tow an F-150 with a gasser. My post was simply to make those that read it aware of the potential pitfalls of being overweight, either solo vehicles or combined. Knowing your capacities and staying within the limits of your own rig is the owners responsibility and being outside those limits can be catastrophic.

T.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:22 AM   #25

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Some one already stated just because the hitch is rated for 8000 lbs doesn't mean you can tow 8000 lbs.
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 12,500 lbs for the 24.1 (and that includes all passengers, gas, water, propane, gear, clothing, food and beer!) The Gross Combined Weight Rating is 18,500 lbs. The GCWR number is the weight of the coach PLUS anything you tow. IF you are at max GVWR you can only LEGALLY tow an extra 6000 lbs. Will the coach tow more, answer is probably. Is it LEGAL answer is no.
I venture a guess most RV'rs are out there running overloaded. Hit the CAT scale at a Truck Stop and get a weight of the rig when your off for trip. You will be surprised. I have learned that I need to run with just enough water to flush the toilet while traveling, not to haul a face cord of firewood, buy the beer when I arrive and keep it to two pairs of underware and we can barely make legal weight
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:48 AM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
As an FYI
Gallon of water = 8.34 lbs.
Gallon of propane = 4.24 lbs
Gallon of gas = 6 lbs.
Case of beer = 20 lbs.
DW equals ___ lbs. (answer that at own risk)
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Some one already stated just because the hitch is rated for 8000 lbs doesn't mean you can tow 8000 lbs.
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 12,500 lbs for the 24.1 (and that includes all passengers, gas, water, propane, gear, clothing, food and beer!) The Gross Combined Weight Rating is 18,500 lbs. The GCWR number is the weight of the coach PLUS anything you tow. IF you are at max GVWR you can only LEGALLY tow an extra 6000 lbs. Will the coach tow more, answer is probably. Is it LEGAL answer is no.
I venture a guess most RV'rs are out there running overloaded. Hit the CAT scale at a Truck Stop and get a weight of the rig when your off for trip. You will be surprised. I have learned that I need to run with just enough water to flush the toilet while traveling, not to haul a face cord of firewood, buy the beer when I arrive and keep it to two pairs of underware and we can barely make legal weight

Amen to that! I learned my lesson on the last coach and put “at least 3000lb” OCCC on my “must have” list when I went shopping last time.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #28

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd2479 View Post
We've been towing our 2017 F150 (4,000 Lbs empty) with 30ft Gas powered motor home. Roadmaster/invisi-brake. No problem. From Sac to Reno (Pyramid Lake), also up to Trinity Lake.
What model MH do you have?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #29

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector57 View Post
I Tow a 2016 Crew cab Ram 4X4 behind my 2019 FreedomA30 and gave no trouble at all. Gas burner.
If you scale your setup you’d find you’re overweight. You’ve got less between GVWR and GCWR than I do. But to each his own.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #30

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
If you scale your setup you’d find you’re overweight. You’ve got less between GVWR and GCWR than I do. But to each his own.
https://www.freedom-motorhomes.com/f...orhomes/specs/

And my 2020 Ford F-150 crew cab, empty weighs 4901 lbs. that’s why I don’t tow it.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have pushed the weight limits for over 55 years

Decided to go with the Tag axle DP and have a few years of excess capacity

Stopping is always the primary concern when towing anything

In the past changing from 7k axles on trailers to 8k or upgrades like brakes and suspension made a huge difference

If you have a decent braking system on your towed I sure wouldn't worry much about the weight
Old 03-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #32

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We just picked up an Aria3401. One of the reasons was the 10,000# tow. Did not want to have worry about getting close to max weights in our mountain states. We were looking at Palazzo until we looked at weight and towing capacity.