Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Towing Speed Limit

We have a Thor Vegas and have decided to tow our Honda Accord on an upcoming trip. We have purchased a Kar Kady 3. After reading the instructions, I discovered they recommend a speed limit of 55 mph. Any thoughts on bumping up to 65 or 70 mph?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I tow four down, and my car's manual tells me not to exceed 65 mph when being towed. With your Kar-Kaddy, I'm wondering whether the 55 mph statement is based on the speed rating of the dolly's tires? It appears that the Kar-Kaddy's tire is a ST205-75R-14 Load Range C trailer tire. I don't know that much about tires, but aren't most load range C trailer tires supposedly limited to 55 mph? That's my recollection from my old travel trailer days. Perhaps someone with more tire knowledge can weigh in on this.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Depending on where you plan to travel while towing, you'll find that there are speed restrictions in different parts of the country.

California has a 55mph restriction on Semi trucks and anyone towing anything. It's hard to maintain, but I can see the wisdom in not going faster. I teeter on the edge of 60mph while towing here, and feel real comfortable. When I towed my little 10' pop-up, it was all about the tire size. They just don't do well at higher speeds.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:32 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Towing is not all about the power you need to tow, when something unexpected happens, you need to be able to get everything safely stopped. Always a good safety practice to keep speeds down when towing.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I know the U-Haul rented dollies have a 55mph speed limit, but I am sure that is due to insurance, etc. I have had our Renegade on our dolly up over 70 a few times... I didn't really notice any difference. Our usual cruise speed is around 62, no issues at all.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've run 75 or slightly more with our Acme dolly and car in tow. The whole combination (Camper + Dolly + car) is so stable..hardly notice anything is back there.

I check the hubs/tires/wheels on the dolly at every stop (along with the straps and the safeties--sometimes stopping just for the check) and haven't found them overly warm.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
We have a Thor Vegas and have decided to tow our Honda Accord on an upcoming trip. We have purchased a Kar Kady 3. After reading the instructions, I discovered they recommend a speed limit of 55 mph. Any thoughts on bumping up to 65 or 70 mph?
who is 'THEY' ?? you refer to?

are you referring to the car, or the Kar Kady??
Old 02-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
In California, it is 55 MPH. This is from the DMV website.
"The maximum speed limit on most California highways is 65 mph. You may drive 70 mph where posted. Unless otherwise posted, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph on a two-lane undivided highway and for vehicles towing trailers. Other speed limit signs are posted for the type of roads and traffic in each area."
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Do any of the other tow dolly manufacturers have specific disclaimers on their products recommending a 55mph limit?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
I just reviewed the manual on my Stehl dolly and found no mention of a recommended speed limit.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
From the Acme tow dolly website (look at the tire size question):
Quote:
When the dolly is properly loaded they can travel safely at any posted speed limit. Leave plenty of braking room.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #12

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I suppose I will save some money and some time, and buy a dolly other than the demco.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I don't drive any type of RV at 70 consistently no matter if I am towing or not. They may "feel" solid and safe at those higher speeds but they certainly do not stop on a dime plus if you ever swerve or blow out a front tire you will wish you were going slower.

That being said, most speed restrictions on equipment is due to tires. If you run cheaper lighter duty tires above their speed rating, especially in very warm conditions, they heat up, air pressure increases, and blam!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
I don't drive any type of RV at 70 consistently no matter if I am towing or not. They may "feel" solid and safe at those higher speeds but they certainly do not stop on a dime plus if you ever swerve or blow out a front tire you will wish you were going slower.
I've had to hard brake a few times in my Axis. Wow! I couldn't believe how well it stopped--well short of where I thought it would. (In none of those instances was I pulling anything, nor were they on the freeway.)

My F-Series were the same way (granted they are designed to pull a lot and thus will have oversized brakes).

Not using this as an excuse to go faster, just giving my experience with the E-Series chassis Axis. I'm sure the F-53 based campers are different beasts alltogether.

Usually, though, well go 70 or below for most of the trip as it does get noticeably noisier above 70.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #15

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've had to hard brake a few times in my Axis. Wow! I couldn't believe how well it stopped--well short of where I thought it would. (In none of those instances was I pulling anything, nor were they on the freeway.)

My F-Series were the same way (granted they are designed to pull a lot and thus will have oversized brakes).

Not using this as an excuse to go faster, just giving my experience with the E-Series chassis Axis. I'm sure the F-53 based campers are different beasts alltogether.

Usually, though, well go 70 or below for most of the trip as it does get noticeably noisier above 70.
Everyone has their own comfort zone for towing at highway speeds in different RV's. The vast majority of RVers can tow all over the country at 70 plus and never have an issue. You will have to excuse my excessive safety warnings but I base it on my work experiences and mean no disrespect.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote