Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
State: Texas
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I just leave my rear view camera on to watch my towed vehicle and to see traffic behind it.

Paul
I check mine often

Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #42

Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
State: Texas
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I’m getting ready to start flat towing my 2021 Chevy Spark. I’m having the roadmaster package installed in a couple of weeks. The RV is a 2017 Thor Outlaw 38RE.

Is there anything, other than no backing, that I need to do differently! Is the turning radius drastically different?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Turning radius should not be affected at all. If you motorhome doesn't hit it, your toad certainly won't.

AND you can back up. Just not far. But far enough to clear a curb.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #43

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeder View Post
Thank you.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #44

Model: Chateau 26B
State: California
THOR #24288
RV Checklist App X2 !
Old 08-23-2021, 12:49 AM   #45

State: Ontario
THOR #22433
I am planning on towing my Jeep. I have a blue oxe break controller on the floor powered by the jeep battery. Do I need to worry about the jeep battery loosing charge? dos it make sence to power on the jeep through my trip, I have 11 hrs to drive
Old 08-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I am planning on towing my Jeep. I have a blue oxe break controller on the floor powered by the jeep battery. Do I need to worry about the jeep battery loosing charge? dos it make sence to power on the jeep through my trip, I have 11 hrs to drive
I have the Blue Ox Patriot III Brake controller. When I use it in my Sonic I power it with an 8 AH lithium battery. We've towed for up to 8 hours in a day (with stops) and still had charge left. In the Colorado it is powered by the Colorado's battery and never came close to draining it. The Patriot III uses minimal power when not braking so unless you are constantly braking you should be fine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #47

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Depends a bit on your route. If you’ll mostly be on the interstates and rarely breaking you’ll be fine. Probably will be in any case. I had the very same question when I started towing and decided to run the charging wire anyway just to be sure. It’s not hard and then you won’t have to worry.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #48

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I started using Google Docs for my checklists... among other things. It's always there on my phone in my pocket... even if you have no internet!

To create my checklist, I first compiled notes and instructions from my Wrangler's owners manual, the Blue Ox manual, etc. I slowly and methodically did several walk-through hitch/unhitch scenarios using those notes. I then sat down at the computer and transferred all that to an easy to read sequence of steps... A document/checklist for hitching, and another for unhitching. Yes, it's pretty much reverse, but I prefer NOT reading backwards through instructions for mission critical things.

To date, this has worked excellent... IF USED EVERY TIME. I once tried from memory and left the ignition switch in the wrong position. After driving on gravel a short distance I could feel the Jeep pulling. The wife jumped out and did a "walk-along" as I drove. 25 feet and STOP! The jeep wheels were chattering like the tranny was still engaged. After going over the checklist, I quickly discovered my error. NEVER AGAIN will I EVER hitch/unhitch without referencing my checklist!
Old 08-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #49

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I started using Google Docs for my checklists... among other things. It's always there on my phone in my pocket... even if you have no internet!

To create my checklist, I first compiled notes and instructions from my Wrangler's owners manual, the Blue Ox manual, etc. I slowly and methodically did several walk-through hitch/unhitch scenarios using those notes. I then sat down at the computer and transferred all that to an easy to read sequence of steps... A document/checklist for hitching, and another for unhitching. Yes, it's pretty much reverse, but I prefer NOT reading backwards through instructions for mission critical things.

To date, this has worked excellent... IF USED EVERY TIME. I once tried from memory and left the ignition switch in the wrong position. After driving on gravel a short distance I could feel the Jeep pulling. The wife jumped out and did a "walk-along" as I drove. 25 feet and STOP! The jeep wheels were chattering like the tranny was still engaged. After going over the checklist, I quickly discovered my error. NEVER AGAIN will I EVER hitch/unhitch without referencing my checklist!

Checklists are good - I used them extensively when I was an active pilot. But I’m also a believer in simplifying processes as much as possible. I didn’t like having to leave a key in my Jeep’s ignition so I went online and discovered that it was a simple matter to remove the steering lock pin from the steering column. Removed an entire failure point and simplified my process. After we switched from the Jeep to another towed model one of the requirements for towing is to disconnect the battery. I was able to simplify that with an electric, remote disconnect switch so now the checklist is just “press the disconnect switch and verify that the dome light went off”. It is worth the time and expense, to me, to do what I can to minimize failure points.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #50

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeder View Post
Turning radius should not be affected at all. If you motorhome doesn't hit it, your toad certainly won't.

I have misjudged the turning radius and did not have room to make a turn in a cul-de-sac a year or so ago. You know how those gps lie.
My wife got into the Spark, kept the wheels straight while I backed up a few feet to gain room on the turn. Haven't tried it without someone behind the wheel. May give that a try sometime in the parking lot with a spotter back there.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #51

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Checklists are good - I used them extensively when I was an active pilot. But I’m also a believer in simplifying processes as much as possible. I didn’t like having to leave a key in my Jeep’s ignition so I went online and discovered that it was a simple matter to remove the steering lock pin from the steering column. Removed an entire failure point and simplified my process. After we switched from the Jeep to another towed model one of the requirements for towing is to disconnect the battery. I was able to simplify that with an electric, remote disconnect switch so now the checklist is just “press the disconnect switch and verify that the dome light went off”. It is worth the time and expense, to me, to do what I can to minimize failure points.
My TJ allows removing the key (without any modifications) while towing. Yep, it's "old school".

Many seem to be concerned about running their toad battery down while towing. This is easily solved by installing either a 4-pin or 7-pin connector on the front of the toad, then powering the toad braking system and tail lights with the MH. Simply running a line from that power source keeps a trickle charge into the toad battery.

I also installed an Invisibrake disconnect toggle switch on the Jeep firewall. There is NO question that the auxiliary braking is completely disconnected when not tethered to the MH.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #52

State: Ontario
THOR #22433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I have the Blue Ox Patriot III Brake controller. When I use it in my Sonic I power it with an 8 AH lithium battery. We've towed for up to 8 hours in a day (with stops) and still had charge left. In the Colorado it is powered by the Colorado's battery and never came close to draining it. The Patriot III uses minimal power when not braking so unless you are constantly braking you should be fine.
Thanks for the info,

I have an additional question will the breaks actually work on the Jeep Grand Cherrokee? I thought the car would need to be running in order to power the breaks? This towing is complicated when your new to it...lol!
Old 08-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #53

THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks for the info,

I have an additional question will the breaks actually work on the Jeep Grand Cherrokee? I thought the car would need to be running in order to power the breaks? This towing is complicated when your new to it...lol!

Typically the engine has to be running for the power brakes booster, which is vacuum operated, to function. Some brake systems like the Stay in Play that I use have their own vacuum pump so the booster functions normally. The brakes will function without the power assist but the pedal needs to be pushed much harder. Whatever system you choose will allow for this. Some newer cars have electrically assisted power brakes and they sometimes have their own rules but again it shouldn’t be a problem
Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #54

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My TJ allows removing the key (without any modifications) while towing. Yep, it's "old school".

Many seem to be concerned about running their toad battery down while towing. This is easily solved by installing either a 4-pin or 7-pin connector on the front of the toad, then powering the toad braking system and tail lights with the MH. Simply running a line from that power source keeps a trickle charge into the toad battery.

I also installed an Invisibrake disconnect toggle switch on the Jeep firewall. There is NO question that the auxiliary braking is completely disconnected when not tethered to the MH.

That surprises me. My TJ had locking steering which required the key to unlock it. The pin was easy to remove and apparently it was not uncommon for them to be broken.