Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Tow brake question

Hello all, I plan on towing a Jeep Cherokee (trail hawk) with my Challenger and was wondering what kind of braking system people are using?

Thanks KC

Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
I had a SMI AF1 with my air brake DP and loved it. But with my new Axis I got a Blue Ox Patriot. Works fine.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:01 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We use a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system. It mounts under the dash and has a small compressor to charge the brake, runs off the coach chassis battery. If you plan to trade tow cars often, you might want one of the portables, like the Blue Ox mentioned above or Brake Buddy.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
RVibrake 2

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System for flat towing | RVi2

A little more expensive but an easy install plus it's very compact. The only actual installation required is running the cable for the break away switch.

They also sell an inexpensive 12 volt charger to keep your toad charged.

Bruce in NOLA
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I've been towing a Jeep Wrangler for a year now, without supplemental brakes. Just finished my first trip with a RViBrake2. What a difference! Easy to install and use. Glad I now have the stopping assistance.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler...
Once installed - only have to hookup one additional wire between toad and MH for the brake monitor light - and the break-away cable... and they run together mounted right next to each other on each end.

Never noticed a braking difference with/without the Wrangler behind me - exactly what it should do in my opinion.

Several good choices out there - primary questions to answer for yourself:
  • 'Permanent' install vs Portable - permanent is easier to hookup for trip and nothing to remove/store/setup... Portable is easier to move from vehicle to vehicle... Really isn't much of a price difference.
  • Power brakes utilized vs. 'dead pedal' - some systems (more often the 'permanent') provide vacuum to use the toad's power brakes... or work with hydroboost system in some cars. Others push harder on the 'dead pedal' to brake without power assist.
  • Proportional, progressive, or fixed braking- How the systems responds to your differences in braking - from light pressure to emergency stop.
  • Brakes activated by brake lights, inertia changes... - some systems activate only when brake lights are activated. Others sense inertia changes and might apply toad brakes when you are using engine braking in MH...
Several other threads in the forum on different systems and questions... Search works well...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Roadmaster BrakeMaster here, just finished up installing it after months of debating, checking out the reviews, and buying one and sending it back afterword, and whatever else I could find info from. It's more of a permanent type of system, tied into front brake line, to a promotional valve, from their an air compressor changes to air to my Jeep Wrangler, disconnecting an air line is much better than a hydraulic line anyway. Main difference from some of the above, my toad brakes work off the Motorhome brake pressure not a switch, or light or inertia. True proportional braking. I had to go this way as inertia operated type would interfere with the exhaust brake for Ford. SMI with my wrangler, my foot would hit the position where the unit attaches to the brake pedal bar. The Brakemaster had all the pros I needed.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1879
Tow Brake Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
RVibrake 2

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System for flat towing | RVi2

A little more expensive but an easy install plus it's very compact. The only actual installation required is running the cable for the break away switch.

They also sell an inexpensive 12 volt charger to keep your toad charged.

Bruce in NOLA
We use the rvibrake2 and installed the battery charger. Works great with our Honda CRV. We found the battery charger very useful with the CRV, saves having to pull the radio fuse in order to tow.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

THOR #2628
Thanks to everyone I bought a RVi2 system.

KC
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #10

THOR #3195
Hey KC, did you get it installed? How is it working? Was it what you expected? Most importantly, do you like it?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #11

THOR #2628
No not yet, heck we just got 5" of snow
Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #12

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Rvi2

I was wondering if you got yours installed. I had one installed in my 2015 Ford Focus manual shift, today, and it tears the rubber pad off of the brake pedal every time I set it up.

It appears that the RVI2 clamp onto the brake pedal pushes a rubber installation tab on the right side of the rubber pad, popping it off the metal brake pedal. Very poor design. I am waiting to call them on Monday, to see if there is an alternat pedal clamp available. If not it goes back.

Plus, the cab control panel is bulky, blocks too much of the dash. Very inconvenient design.

How is yours working?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #13

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I was wondering if you got yours installed. I had one installed in my 2015 Ford Focus manual shift, today, and it tears the rubber pad off of the brake pedal every time I set it up.

Thanks
It sounds like your not aligned properly with the brake pedal. Mine is working fantastic, I feel very confident in it now.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #14

THOR #3195
Cab control panel???I have a light that's it, what system do you have installed? Just went back and read you are using the Invisibrake, I'm using the Brakemaster, that's the difference. I started with invisibrake, and sent it back and opted for the masterbrake. No use going into details why, get it working and it will serve you well.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 AM   #15

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
I ended up replacing mine with a Blue Ox Auto Stop, which is basically a surge brake system incorporated with the tow bar. Its much less expensive, and is very basic in function. I have a Ford Focus, so its a bit over 3K #'s, not a great deal of weight to slow.