Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Ultra Guard

Wow, just added the Ultra Guard, took longer than I expected, but then I like to be precise. I suspended it just in case it hits something it will have some movement. Used 3/16" x 2 x 2 angle and used galvanized ½" eye bolts with a shackle in between. Left me 3" on the bottom. Used the eye bolts with shackle to minimize the side to side motion.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
What's Ultra Guard?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Wow, just added the Ultra Guard, took longer than I expected, but then I like to be precise. I suspended it just in case it hits something it will have some movement. Used 3/16" x 2 x 2 angle and used galvanized ½" eye bolts with a shackle in between. Left me 3" on the bottom. Used the eye bolts with shackle to minimize the side to side motion.
Can you please post photos?
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
What's you talkin bout Willis?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
Ultra Guard is a "toad" protection devise that attached to the rear of the couch much like a mud flap. Designed to keep rocks and other objects from being thrown into the front of the vehicle being pulled.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

THOR #3195
Thank you Vinster30, exactly and here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	2334  
Old 06-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #7

THOR #3195
So the latest, I removed it completely. Here is the problem, it's fine if you do as they say cut it 4" off the road, but then rocks and other things can still get under it. I did cut it to that. Then I leveled my coach. Well suddenly it ran out of space, as the front end picks up, as it it is the first during an automatic level, it lowers the back, it put a good bind on the 3/8" rubber it was not giving the lighter bay liners started to give first. I stopped it before any damage could happen. It's gone, I'll do something else, but I'm not paying 350 to 500 for a fancy deflector that sits between the coach and toad.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
So the latest, I removed it completely. Here is the problem, it's fine if you do as they say cut it 4" off the road, but then rocks and other things can still get under it. I did cut it to that. Then I leveled my coach. Well suddenly it ran out of space, as the front end picks up, as it it is the first during an automatic level, it lowers the back, it put a good bind on the 3/8" rubber it was not giving the lighter bay liners started to give first. I stopped it before any damage could happen. It's gone, I'll do something else, but I'm not paying 350 to 500 for a fancy deflector that sits between the coach and toad.
So please share pictures of what you decide on...I agree $350 - $500 seems like a lot.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

THOR #3195
I did think about the grass skirt type of guard, but found out it's just for splashing. So, I've decided to "wait and see". I'll go without anything like I have for the last few months, and by the way, not a rock hit or ding as yet, yes, sooner or latter I'll get one, but that is also true with whatever I put on, as items still get through, under it. I'm more worried about the windshield of the towed vehicle than the paint. A friend works at a car painting company, he did give me the sad story about how much it would cost to repaint even just the hood and front end area $700-$1,000. I'll decide after the first outing that makes me feel it would be worth it.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I have used a Protect A Tow skirt between my motorhome and toad for several years. At that time, folks online were saying that the grass skirts tended to kick up rocks, and that the hard mud flaps either didn't ride low enough to protect or dragged.

The theory here is that those little rocks are kept below the toad. It is easy to put on and off, and now costs just under $250 with shipping.

Here's the link and a photo from their website: Protect-a-Tow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Protect a tow.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2347