Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #23795
VW Bug Towing

Any suggestions for a brake controller for 1973 VW bug or do I need one.

The dry weight of the car is listed at 2100 lbs.

I have a 31 foot ACE with the Ford V10.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:06 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Some tow without a brake unit in the car, but most use a product like Brake Buddy. One great feature is breakaway, which applies the brakes if somehow
your car gets unhooked.

The RV.net forum is a better resource for towing VW bug specifically. You've got plenty of power for such a light tow car.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:32 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Same states require a brake system

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Nothing to add on brake system but I looked into towing my 1970 Beetle and decided against it. You must keep tow bar level w where it hooks up. But w the up/down movement on my Hurricane I could see dragging hitch constantly or denting bottom of spare tire. My level was only 10 inches, not a lot of wiggle room.
Now, given mine was a 70 and ur 73 may be a super beetle which uses different tow bar because of suspensions. Not sure of overhand on ur Ace 31 but Hurricane was 35 w about 8 feet of rear overhang. Up and down is a lot and sometimes even w hitch at 16" for motorcycle travel I have drug it. Just a word of caution to you, hope it works out. Post pics!!! Thx Dennis.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
can you flat tow a bug? having a transaxle I thought that would make it not compatible
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
can you flat tow a bug? having a transaxle I thought that would make it not compatible
A Transaxle makes it more compatible to flat towing (manual transmission) due to the moving parts doing the lubricating.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Back in my AF days, we towed the wife's bug from base to base behind the GMC with no trouble. We bought a tow bar from JC Whitney, had some brackets locally manufactured that attached at the bumper brackets and away we went. South Carolina to Texas via a base in Mississippi, no problems. The bug was a 68 convertible and the only problem we encountered was rock chips on the frunk.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:49 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There was a nice old bug all set up for flat towing a year or so ago that I really coveted. Alas, I’d only just recently bought my Wrangler and had to let it pass. Now I tow a Spark which isn’t nearly as cool!
Old 09-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #9

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:
No problem standard transmission and older bugs. Couldn't say new ones can!!!! Thx Dennis.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
The problem is with trans-axle lubrication only occurs when the engine is not running. Nearly every motor vehicle made can be towed if the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. Some manual transmission have only the cluster gear in oil, so if the cluster gear does not turn when the engine is not running, the manual transmissions gears are not lubricated. Continuous mesh manual transmission where the selector gear train is in oil have no towing restrictions.

As concerns auto trans: a few auto transmission contain two hydraulic pumps where one is driven by the engine and one by the differential. Vehicles with these auto transmissions can be towed with no restrictions. Others vehicles have the drive train disconnected from the transmission when in "towing neutral". Even so, there are some driven parts that need periodic lubrication, and thus, the warning to start the engine for several minutes every day or after towing 8 hours.

Just as a note: Every Corvair made can be flat towed (manual or automatic) with no restrictions; that includes cars, trucks, vans and the 9 passenger Greenbrier mini-van. Chevy was a much different, owner friendly company in those days when engineers were in charge. May Marry Barra do as well as Ed Cole.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #11

State: Utah
THOR #12702
I have 4 different beetles that I tow behind a 2017Freedom Elite and have never had a problem. The only one that is different is a 79 super that you have to get a different tow bar then the earlier beetles. I do not have a special braking system nor do you need one as the beetle tows easy and does not seem to bother the Elites braking. I live in Utah and have been to every state except the far east like Vermont, Maine, etc. They are next on the list to visit. Just for info I tow a 65, 69, 73 or a 79 depending which one calls my name.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The problem is with trans-axle lubrication only occurs when the engine is not running. Nearly every motor vehicle made can be towed if the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. Some manual transmission have only the cluster gear in oil, so if the cluster gear does not turn when the engine is not running, the manual transmissions gears are not lubricated. Continuous mesh manual transmission where the selector gear train is in oil have no towing restrictions.

As concerns auto trans: a few auto transmission contain two hydraulic pumps where one is driven by the engine and one by the differential. Vehicles with these auto transmissions can be towed with no restrictions. Others vehicles have the drive train disconnected from the transmission when in "towing neutral". Even so, there are some driven parts that need periodic lubrication, and thus, the warning to start the engine for several minutes every day or after towing 8 hours.

Just as a note: Every Corvair made can be flat towed (manual or automatic) with no restrictions; that includes cars, trucks, vans and the 9 passenger Greenbrier mini-van. Chevy was a much different, owner friendly company in those days when engineers were in charge. May Marry Barra do as well as Ed Cole.
Corvair! I love corsairs. Dad had a Monza and I had a Greenbrier.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Having a Corvair for a Toad would put you in pretty exclusive company!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Attachment 33590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Having a Corvair for a Toad would put you in pretty exclusive company!
The Chevy Corvair 95 Rampside pick-up does attract attention. One of the few pick-ups with a 10 ft long bed, unit body construction, 3/4 ton carrying capability, 4 four wheel independent coil spring suspension, 50-50 weight distribution loaded or unloaded, totally flat floor in the drivers compartment, gasoline heater and defroster, and a side loading ramp rated at 600 lbs. Sadly only a 3,500 lb towing capability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_1130_043741AA_edited.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	33591  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #15

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I have no info on towing a bug but thought I'd share my cousins 57

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210913-101910_Facebook.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	33594Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210913-101835_Facebook.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	33595
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:10 AM   #16
sip

THOR #5882
I have a vw dune buggy (61ish chasis, and a hodge podge of engine and bus parts) which is probably a lot lighter than a bug ... on the rare occasions that I do tow it, without any brake setup, I almost don't even feel it back there. Now of course local laws vary but if I were to set up some sort of brake, I will most likely go with a very simple surge brake setup like:

https://nsatowbars.com/products/the-ready-brake

Just a pull wire installed at the brake pedal and this thing sitting in front of the tow bar and you are good to go basically. This is what I use to tow our wrangler behind the RV and it works very well:

Old 10-25-2021, 12:16 AM   #17

Model: Axis 24.2
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just as a note: Every Corvair made can be flat towed (manual or automatic) with no restrictions; that includes cars, trucks, vans and the 9 passenger Greenbrier mini-van.
Second that. I don't tow normally but occasionally for Corvair meets. Here is our Greenbrier 9 pax van as we prepared to join up with a Corvair group in Palm Springs this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenbriar in Tow.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	34441  
Old 10-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189