Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Weighed the Tow Vehicle Today: Should I stop the Project over 420 lbs?

Using my Cat Scale reweigh option; my wife and I returned to get a new weigh on steer axle, drive axle and the trailer axle. (note: the towed was not hitched or connected via a tow bar) Not sure what impact that has on weight measurement good or bad?)

Upfront condition: Please get past the obvious that a smaller tow vehicle is easier, but focus on my desire to tow my already owned Lincoln Navigator that I recently learned has a specific Flat Tow mode. I did all of the math upfront to see if I could do but I have run into below issue.

My Lincoln specs say curb weight for the Navigator is 5800 lbs. Today according to the Cat Scale reading; I get 6,240 lbs That us 440 lbs more than I anticipated. The only thing added to the Navigator....
1. Full tank of gas (about 24 gallons or 144 lbs)
2. 45 lbs of weight to simulate Roadmaster Base Plate that is on order but not installed
3. 10 lbs of weight to simulate the RVi Brake 3 which is not ordered

The RV is sitting at 17,180 lbs ( it is fully loaded as we need, but we did remove some things we never use). Most relevant cargo is...
1. Full tank of gas
2. 1/3 tank of water
3. My wife and I ( we are both normal size; so going on a diet won't help
4. Gray and Black are empty
5. Spare tire under the bed could be removed (80lbs)
6. Ice maker could be removed (26 lbs)

My GCVW is 23,420 and my GCWR = 23,000

Should I give up this project? I am sure I could drain water, cut back on gas and remove spare to get under 23,000 lbs but is it necessary, or is it even worth it? Also, for kicks, hHow serious is the 420 lbs given supplemental braking?

I have a new hitch on order that I can easily return, but may be stuck with a $485 base plate I purchased from e trailer if I can't go forward?

Note and to be clear:
Getting another Tow Vehicle is not an option. I will either configure this Lincoln Navigator to be towed on my existing RV, or just leave everything as is.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Continue at your and your DW’s risk.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Using my Cat Scale reweigh option; my wife and I returned to get a new weigh on steer axle, drive axle and the trailer axle. (note: the towed was not hitched or connected via a tow bar) Not sure what impact that has on weight measurement good or bad?)

Upfront condition: Please get past the obvious that a smaller tow vehicle is easier, but focus on my desire to tow my already owned Lincoln Navigator that I recently learned has a specific Flat Tow mode. I did all of the math upfront to see if I could do but I have run into below issue.

My Lincoln specs say curb weight for the Navigator is 5800 lbs. Today according to the Cat Scale reading; I get 6,240 lbs That us 440 lbs more than I anticipated. The only thing added to the Navigator....
2. 45 lbs of weight to simulate Roadmaster Base Plate that is on order but not installed

The RV is sitting at 17,180 lbs ( it is fully loaded as we need, but we did remove some things we never use). Most relevant cargo is...
1. Full tank of gas
2. 1/3 tank of water

Should I give up this project? I am sure I could drain water, cut back on gas and remove spare to get under 23,000 lbs but is it necessary, or is it even worth it? Also, for kicks, hHow serious is the 420 lbs given supplemental braking?

I have a new hitch on order that I can easily return, but may be stuck with a $485 base plate I purchased from e trailer if I can't go forward?

Note and to be clear:
Getting another Tow Vehicle is not an option. I will either configure this Lincoln Navigator to be towed on my existing RV, or just leave everything as is.
Ditch the water in the RV (down to just a few gallons needed for use on the road) and tow the Navigator with less gas - that'll make up for the weight of the tow bar and chains to put you in the same place. Otherwise you'll be even more overloaded.

Don't expect anyone to say "Do it, you'll be fine" as documentation of advocating overloading the RV probably is not a smart move on anybody's part.

OTH expect lots of "your insurance company will disown you" type replies, and "you'll be sued into oblivion if you have an accident, even if it's not your fault" replies.

It's really your decision to make if you feel a 2% overloaded condition is enough to nix the project.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This X2
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:08 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d certainly give it up. Just too close to the edge for me. I’d probably get a different towed vehicle but as that is not an option for you I’d recommend you just plan to call Enterprise when you get where you’re going.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:20 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’d certainly give it up. Just too close to the edge for me. I’d probably get a different towed vehicle but as that is not an option for you I’d recommend you just plan to call Enterprise when you get where you’re going.
I tried to clarify up front, but you are viewing my need as a normal RVer leisure traveler etc. Not so. It may sound strange, but I do not need a towed. Don't need a rent a car at some place I may go. I have had this RV going on 4 years so that I am clear of.

How I got here is that I learned my current Lincoln Navigator which is 4X4 with Slow Climb actually has a Flat Tow mode.
Further I am told by Roadmaster, that on my model the baseplate when installed will be behind two removable front fascia on the front bumper. Think of how you remove the bumper cover to expose the hitch receiver on the rear.

So with all that in mine, I just want configure my RV so I may pull my Navigator if I ever wanted to. Of course I wish to be safe, but seeking help as to how it may be possible? WBGO does not recommend changing the hitch, but state several owners have. All of the TMC I looked at on F-53s had hitches rated at 8,000 lbs. WBGO waived that off because the GCWR is the same for all of the them 23,000#s. I can fix the Hitch issue for $400 so that is no longer a concern as I get that hitch next week.

My issue right now is that I am smart enough to know what exceeds means, but a novice when it comes to interpreting practicality of an absolute cutoff within 1.8% tolerance. i.e. Is the RV owner that is towing 22,999lbs really safer than the one towing 23, 199lbs? My worse case is 420lbs over (1.8%) but I can get it lower if truly necessary. But if someone tells me that EVEN towing GCW = 22,800lbs I guess game over.

Also, I just read that it is actually not illegal to exceed the Mfg Suggested GCWR unless you have CDL license with more than 26,000lbs load or a 10,000 pound trailer. Of course you have the liability concern, but you have the liability concern if you drive RV without or without a tow. I do have liability insurance on both RV, and Navigator.

In a way, I kind of hate I learned that it is even possible. But the prospect just sounds enticing. We had a 2010 SRX when we 1st bought the RV. We knew it was flat towable, but we didn't want to take it anywhere we might go We sold it and my wife bought XT5. It it were flat towable we would have done. I never in my wildest felt the Navigator would be flat towable. Even if somehow get this done, my guess 90% of the time we will NOT flat tow the Navigator with us. But I could see some trips where it would be nice to take the RV and setup, but use the Navigator to go to some function. I just need to fine 421 pounds to reduce the load if necessary; so I can say I am being safe not necessarily know if it really is any safer?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-20-2023, 02:39 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I wish I had heeded your advice way by when to get a weigh The knowledge I would have had would have helped me with this planning. Getting a weigh was a lot easier than I thought. Found a place in Irving, TX right across from a Rush Truck center. Only cost $17 and I got two weighs, no line and super easy. Somehow stopping at those truck stops on the highways wasn't my thing.

With that said my estimates for the GVW were pretty close ( you may remember I weighed all of cargo one day about 2 years ago). When full; we can load every thing back into RV and we still have 700 lbs under the 18,000 The Lincoln Navigator weight is what I missed. The 4X4 is heavier, I got premium 22" wheels, 54 lbs for baseplate and RVi Brake 3 and gas.

If I do go forward, I can easily get weigh before leaving and if over or worried about how the amount over, we can go back home and dump something.

My wife and I would never turn a blind eye for safety, but we know exceeding the speed limit is not safe, but we exceed those limits all the time almost routine, but we never approach anything reckless. That is kind of where I am here. Ok so we may be 1-2% over; is it really reckless? i.e. One driver driving 69mph and the other guy is 71mph. Technically the 71mph driver is breaking the law, I don't know that not following Mfg suggestion is breaking the law?
Old 02-20-2023, 02:49 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:

1. Full tank of gas
2. 1/3 tank of water

Note and to be clear:
I understand your issue. We purchased an Aria instead of the Palazzo because of towing capacity. We had an Escalade that came in at 6200. Good luck with your decision. If you stick with it pare down the weight everywhere you can. Less water, less gas, reevaluate other items wanted to take along.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:54 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ditch the water in the RV (down to just a few gallons needed for use on the road) and tow the Navigator with less gas - that'll make up for the weight of the tow bar and chains to put you in the same place. Otherwise you'll be even more overloaded.

Don't expect anyone to say "Do it, you'll be fine" as documentation of advocating overloading the RV probably is not a smart move on anybody's part.

OTH expect lots of "your insurance company will disown you" type replies, and "you'll be sued into oblivion if you have an accident, even if it's not your fault" replies.

It's really your decision to make if you feel a 2% overloaded condition is enough to nix the project.
Sound reasoning as usual. I may proceed to at least install the baseplate to confirm if it can really be installed and then covered up with front fascia covers? Seems like given the Navigator is Flat Towable Lincoln should have installed the baseplate anyway versus the current hidden two hooks. Similar goes for the new hitch on RV.

Like your ideas and we will take some time to play with some what ifs to see what it looks like. i.e. Maybe only tow Navigator with 1/4 tank of gas, maybe only fill RV 1/2 tank full of gas when towing, spare tire could be removed, we think we could dump all the fresh water and maybe only have three 1 gal bottles to flush toilets etc.

On a side note:
Now I know why some people remove their fridges and TVs from outdoor kitchens. I would never remove the Outdoor TV, but I have removed the outdoor fridge because I could not get all of the new shrink wrap plastic off while it was mounted.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I wish I had heeded your advice way by when to get a weigh The knowledge I would have had would have helped me with this planning. Getting a weigh was a lot easier than I thought. Found a place in Irving, TX right across from a Rush Truck center. Only cost $17 and I got two weighs, no line and super easy. Somehow stopping at those truck stops on the highways wasn't my thing.

With that said my estimates for the GVW were pretty close ( you may remember I weighed all of cargo one day about 2 years ago). With full we e can load every thing back into RV and we still have 700 lbs under the 18,000 The Lincoln Navigator weight is what I missed. The 4X4 is heavier, I got premium 22" wheels, 54 lbs for baseplate and RVi Brake 3 and gas.

If I do go forward, I can easily get weigh before leaving and if over or worried about how the amount over, we can go back home and dump something.

My wife and I would never turn a blind eye for safety, but we know exceeding the speed limit is not safe, but we exceed those limits all the time almost routine, but we never approach anything reckless. That is kind of where I am here. Ok so we may be 1-2% over; is it really reckless? i.e. One driver driving 69mph and the other guy is 71mph. Technically the 71mph driver is breaking the law, I don't know that not following Mfg suggestion is breaking the law?
Your GCWR is based on the limitations of the chassis to include, but not limited to, the suspension and brakes.

Like I said, proceed at your own risk but keep in mind you could put everyone else on the road at risk as well.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:03 AM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
It's really simple to fix. Since you like the Lincoln so much, get a bigger RV with more towing capacity.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 03:24 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
It's really simple to fix. Since you like the Lincoln so much, get a bigger RV with more towing capacity.
Now that is funny but very true, true story now; so follow me. We actually have two Lincoln Navigators now. But back in 2018 we wanted to buy a new one to replace the older one. I go to the dealerships and was floored with the $100k price tag. I told my wife with that kind of money we could buy an RV. We did; late 2019 when RV prices was very low we bought RV and put a new Navigator on hold. This was 4 months before Covid would hit. Of course I had verified / confirmed that my older Lincoln Navigator was not Flat Towable maybe 100 times; so by the time we did get the new one, it was the last thing on my mind. Not only is the new one Flat Towable it has features to tell you when it is safe to start flat towing. You jest, but the Navigator will tow 8,400 lbs out of the box (RV 5,000 lbs). I may have to look into a weight distributer bar to see if my new Navigator can tow the RV? If it is too heavy, maybe buy a smaller RV; so the Navigator can tow it
Old 02-20-2023, 03:38 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
I understand your issue. We purchased an Aria instead of the Palazzo because of towing capacity. We had an Escalade that came in at 6200. Good luck with your decision. If you stick with it pare down the weight everywhere you can. Less water, less gas, reevaluate other items wanted to take along.
Thank you because I can be so misunderstood at times

I saw where you had mentioned the 6200# for Escalade the other day and it made me a tad nervous, because my specs were saying 5,800# for Navigator. You might say you inspired me to take the Navigator in for a weigh to be sure and now I have my dilemma. I will re-evaluate everything. I would like to get it where it is exactly 22,999; so I don't put others at risks. I really don't follow the engineering because the towed vehicle will have a braking system and that the towed breaks will not have any additional weight, well under the gross weight of 7,625.

If a Ford designed truck to haul 23,000#s can't safely haul / stop 23,400#s; I would say it took some special engineering to design it that way for it to fail.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:55 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
My issue right now is that I am smart enough to know what exceeds means, but a novice when it comes to interpreting practicality of an absolute cutoff within 1.8% tolerance. i.e. Is the RV owner that is towing 22,999lbs really safer than the one towing 23, 199lbs? My worse case is 420lbs over (1.8%) but I can get it lower if truly necessary. But if someone tells me that EVEN towing GCW = 22,800lbs I guess game over.

.......... so I can say I am being safe not necessarily know if it really is any safer?
IMHO towing 500 lbs (2%) lighter may make you safer, but the GCWR limit is not a finite dividing line between safe and unsafe.

As an aside piece of information, a couple of the major pickup truck manufacturers recently lowered GVWR and GCWR on vehicles already in the hands of customers. So if what they were towing/hauling before was withing limits, but now that same tow/load exceeds the limits, are they now unsafe? When before they were safe?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:15 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:

1. Full tank of gas
2. 1/3 tank of water

Note and to be clear:
Ok Your RV GVWR is 18,000# with a CVWR of 23,000, the same as my ACE 30.3 My fully loaded for travel coach weighs in at 17200 with a full tank of fuel 80 Gallons a little over 417#, A full tank of propane 20 Gallons 88#, and a full tank of water 50 Gallons 480#. Your coach has the same fuel capacity with 70 Gallons fresh water at 1/3 capacity 24 Gallons or about 240# and a slightly smaller Propane tank. I think you may have I little more stuff loaded than I carry. But the only way to tell for sure is to empty out all the stuff and get a weight. Winnebago's base weight on your coach may be heavier than Thor's on my Coach.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:42 AM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
IMHO towing 500 lbs (2%) lighter may make you safer, but the GCWR limit is not a finite dividing line between safe and unsafe.

As an aside piece of information, a couple of the major pickup truck manufacturers recently lowered GVWR and GCWR on vehicles already in the hands of customers. So if what they were towing/hauling before was withing limits, but now that same tow/load exceeds the limits, are they now unsafe? When before they were safe?

But you have an owner's manual that lists the old weight good luck proving the manufacturer informed the owners of the change of specification on previously manufactured units.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:24 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Ok Your RV GVWR is 18,000# with a CVWR of 23,000, the same as my ACE 30.3 My fully loaded for travel coach weighs in at 17200 with a full tank of fuel 80 Gallons a little over 417#, A full tank of propane 20 Gallons 88#, and a full tank of water 50 Gallons 480#. Your coach has the same fuel capacity with 70 Gallons fresh water at 1/3 capacity 24 Gallons or about 240# and a slightly smaller Propane tank. I think you may have I little more stuff loaded than I carry. But the only way to tell for sure is to empty out all the stuff and get a weight. Winnebago's base weight on your coach may be heavier than Thor's on my Coach.
I already have an itemized manifest of with weight of every item on coach. I did a few years back absent a real weigh.

It may help to detect differences if you provide your OCCC? Mine is 2005 lbs which implies my built out coach is 15,995 lbs.

If I reverse engineer; my loaded RV for travel to take my Navigator with it's current full tank of gas would have to NOT Exceed 16,760 lbs. [23,000 GCWR - 6,240 weight of Navigator)

Given my built out coach is estimated @15,995 lbs, that leaves 765 lbs of cargo remaining. With a full tank of gas, 1/3 fresh water, full tank of propane, 2 people not much left.

Remember I am only 420 lbs over. So if all of the math in your post and my post is correct, right now you would actually be 440lbs over as well. Your current weight of 17,200 + 6,240 = GCW of 23,440

But your point about differences may only be 300 lbs or less? If I add 27 more gallons to match your 50 gal that would be about 240 lbs as you state, I have 76 lbs pf propane so add another 12lbs to 252 lbs of known difference.

Factors that may account for other weight differences.

1. Fiberglass roof construction?
2. Wall thickness?
3. I assume you have 2 ACs...
4. I assume you have outdoor kitchen, sink and outdoor TV ...
5. Size of the holding tanks?
6. I have 2 VMax tanks 125 ah batteries that weigh in at 75lbs each
7. Non OEM Samsung TV with Visio Sound bar
8. Icemaker ( 26 lbs)
9. Spare tire Goodyear G670 under bed (80 lbs)
10. MCD shades throughout the coach

With that said, looking at our new requirement displacing 1,240 lbs over the 5,000 allocated for a tow vehicle, we have done so with ease for 820 lbs thus far. No question in my mind I could get to 22,999, just a question of how relevant that is thus the thread? i.e. am I better off / safer leaving the spare tire in the garage or being 80 lbs heavier?

I don't know the answer, I thought I had a plan. Navigator actual weight of 6,240 versus 5,800 threw me off. Maybe removing the Navigator's spare tire should be an option?

Lots of good thoughts and trust me, I am gonna try everyone. I don't wish to give up, but if the masses say... I am basically fighting city hall, I will concede that it is not possible. Maybe sell the RV and find a bigger Navigator
Old 02-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #18

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Weighed the Tow Vehicle Today: Should I stop the Project over 420 lbs?

Bottom line is this....... it comes down to your specific situation and what you are comfortable going.

The components used on any chassis have specs that have a cushion from their published rating. Just because you go over by 100lbs doesn't mean the axle snaps in half or the brakes won't stop the vehicle. If you are exceeding by 1000lbs or more, then I would start to be concerned. When you are talling about less than 2% over, I would be cautious but not highly concerned.

The most important piece of the puzzle to me is the hitch.... and you are fixing that weakness as pasrt of your project.

You will have an independent brake system in the Navigator. As you drive you will be burning off fuel. You can carry less water and fuel in the Navigator as mentioned. You also can adjust your driving style in terms of speed and stopping distance knowing you are at your upper limits.

I have a Magnitude SV34 that Thor should be prosecuted for in terms of GVWR and being able to sell a vehicle up against the max published chassis values. When fully loaded I am a couple hundred pounds over my GVWR. But as I burn off diesel, DEF, propane, etc. I come in under the spec. My F550 Powerstroke also has more than enough power to accelerate, maintain speed abd climb mountains at my weight.

I've had the coach 3 1/2 years have a state safety inspection done on the coach every year by a Ford Commercial Truck Service Center. Brakes, tires, suspension, bearings, U-joints, etc. have all met safety requirements and published specs.

I have another inspection scheduled for early May before we leave for Alaska. I estimate we will put 15,000 miles on the coach so I am telling them to inspect everything such that based on current wear rates my brakes, tires, etc. will still meet safety specs after another 15,000 miles. If not, I will have those items replaced in May.

I think you can move forward with your project at 420lbs over if you feel comfortable with your coach and how you will be using it... and if you are adressing any weaknesses.... like the hitch.

Now if you told me you were 920lbs over, I would probably say its worth considering to scrap the project.... unless you could easily shave off 500lbs somewhere to get closer to the upper limit.

I think the most important thing is the tires. Not sure what you’re running on your Class A but many Class C’s are pushing the limits of LT tires. Make sure you have a commercial rates tire that more than covers your total weight and in very good condition.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
From a practical standpoint, exceeding specs by small margin may/may not lead to issues stated above. On the other hand driving at max weight may kill acceleration and general ability to merge, pass when needed depending on gearing, may be a big difference.

From the stanpoint of functionality, do you really want to be concerned with watching add on weight before trips?

We tow a lot, the unit is rated 22,000 GCVW. Normal weekend trip is 18,000. The highest has been 18,750. Using an open race car trailer eliminates the 2500 lb parasitic weight of an enclosed trailer. It also means dragging trailer anywhere on SE carries little mpg penalty.

Is one those can you do it or do you really want to do it questions?
Old 02-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #20

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Bottom line is this....... it comes down to your specific situation and what you are comfortable going.

The components used on any chassis have specs that have a cushion from their published rating. Just because you go over by 100lbs doesn't mean the axle snaps in half or the brakes won't stop the vehicle. If you are exceeding by 1000lbs or more, then I would start to be concerned. When you are talling about less than 2% over, I would be cautious but not highly concerned.

The most important piece of the puzzle to me is the hitch.... and you are fixing that weakness as pasrt of your project.

You will have an independent brake system in the Navigator. As you drive you will be burning off fuel. You can carry less water and fuel in the Navigator as mentioned. You also can adjust your driving style in terms of speed and stopping distance knowing you are at your upper limits.

I have a Magnitude SV34 that Thor should be prosecuted for in terms of GVWR and being able to sell a vehicle up against the max published chassis values. When fully loaded I am a couple hundred pounds over my GVWR. But as I burn off diesel, DEF, propane, etc. I come in under the spec. My F550 Powerstroke also has more than enough power to accelerate, maintain speed abd climb mountains at my weight.

I've had the coach 3 1/2 years have a state safety inspection done on the coach every year by a Ford Commercial Truck Service Center. Brakes, tires, suspension, bearings, U-joints, etc. have all met safety requirements and published specs.

I have another inspection scheduled for early May before we leave for Alaska. I estimate we will put 15,000 miles on the coach so I am telling them to inspect everything such that based on current wear rates my brakes, tires, etc. will still meet safety specs after another 15,000 miles. If not, I will have those items replaced in May.

I think you can move forward with your project at 420lbs over if you feel comfortable with your coach and how you will be using it... and if you are adressing any weaknesses.... like the hitch.

Now if you told me you were 920lbs over, I would probably say its worth considering to scrap the project.... unless you could easily shave off 500lbs somewhere to get closer to the upper limit.

I think the most important thing is the tires. Not sure what you’re running on your Class A but many Class C’s are pushing the limits of LT tires. Make sure you have a commercial rates tire that more than covers your total weight and in very good condition.
100% agree on your comments

Tires on lighter rigs are almost always the weakest link and the one most often ignored